Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
How about Western NC (the Asheville area) ? Has anyone from Long Island had experience with this part of North Carolina ?
Yes, my sister's best friend lives there. Really cheap place to live in, since they can't charge very high rents or home prices because there are no decent paying jobs. If you make a little above the minimum wage, you can at least afford to rent an apartment (unlike LI). Very beautiful mountain area. A lot of "new age" type people. Large GLBT community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Large GLBT community

Ummm, I guess I am too old, but what is that? Years ago , during WW 11 Black Mountain College in Asheville was a haven for radicals and ( very) early hippies . Alan Ginsberg and Einstein even taught courses there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-18-2008 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
GLBT - gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM

50 posts, read 148,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Nirvanna

Right there with you. My wife and I live in Charlotte now for the past 1 year and i cant stand it here. would love to go back to L.I . if we could afford to. Things are so different here. But we are looking at PA right now.
PA seems like a great place. My father moved there and loves it. I'd reccomend renting for a little while atleast until the market get a little better though. Houses are depreciating when they should be appreciating! Have you ever looked in the West Babylon/North Babylon/Lindenhurst area? Very nice area, and affordable housing, I am personally renting for a little while, then I will buy. Also Orange County is very beautiful, if you're considering PA, you should check out that area as well. Warwick and Highland Falls are beautiful towns with good school districts.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:25 PM

IGLBT - gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered.

Ohhhh. In North Carolina ? ? ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 PM

It may not be San Francisco, but not everywhere down South is stereotypical Bible Belt...

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM

237 posts, read 855,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana6992 View Post
PA seems like a great place. My father moved there and loves it. I'd reccomend renting for a little while atleast until the market get a little better though. Houses are depreciating when they should be appreciating! Have you ever looked in the West Babylon/North Babylon/Lindenhurst area? Very nice area, and affordable housing, I am personally renting for a little while, then I will buy. Also Orange County is very beautiful, if you're considering PA, you should check out that area as well. Warwick and Highland Falls are beautiful towns with good school districts.
Nirvana never checked that area of Li to live but have been through there and parts are very nice in west bab and lindy especially. not to keen on N bab. though. Thank you for the info

Old 09-18-2008, 09:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
IGLBT - gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered.

Ohhhh. In North Carolina ? ? ?
Yep. Even though it's a very small city. I saw a TV show about Salem, MA and it said there is a lot of GLBT there too now. (Imagine if it were the old days, the Puritans would have done them in like they did the "witches"!)

Like anything else, I guess people move somewhere and influence their friends/family to move too. So some GLBT were the "pioneers" and moved to places like Asheville and Salem and others followed. Kinda like how so many NY'ers are heading for the Carolinas now (in the past it was Florida). I know a few former LI'ers who were influenced by friends/family who already went there to move down south to be near them.

I have a friend right now who is trying to get her house on LI sold and go to NC. I hope she and her husband and kids will be happy when/if they make the move, although of course I will miss her. I don't think I personally would want to live down there. I think I would find it boring and too hot and humid in the summer.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:29 PM

Well, Western NC is very mountainous and has long springs and falls and moderate winters and summers. At least that is what I have heard.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:54 PM

Yep, the mountains (according to an NC friend of mine) are cooler than the Piedmont region (Triangle, Charlotte) or the coast. Still fairly warm, but not as bad. A little like the difference between NYC and the Catskills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island