Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
All my Fios boxes have Energy Star stickers on them. I asked why my SD box didnt have a clock on it, he said "to make it more energy efficent". I thought it was some kind of PR stunt but it makes sense with those numbers...and my light bill has gone down slightly..
but the fios back up battery takes up for the power the boxes are saving.

Last edited by Taz Crazy; 03-23-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
I keep my HDTV set to energy saver mode (the middle mode hardly looks any different from full energy hog mode) and shut off the entire power strip it's plugged in to (along with my DVD player and multiple game consoles) whenever I'm not using it, which is at least 95% of any given day.
Unfortunately I don't think this would work as well for those who have cable boxes...the boot times on those is ludicrous! Maybe keep the cable box plugged in separately and use a power strip for everything else?
That won't help if you need to DVR something. The power has to be on. I made the mistake of setting the DVR but then powered everything off. The shows didn't record.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That won't help if you need to DVR something. The power has to be on. I made the mistake of setting the DVR but then powered everything off. The shows didn't record.
thats cute

Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
thats cute
I figured the cable box would know internally to save a program. Who knew the power on the box actually had to be ON?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
I contacted Cablevision and was told that the "Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD Digital" Cable Boxes that I have in my home are not Energy Star Compliant.

The new Samsung boxes they offer are Energy Compliant and Cablevision will swap out the old boxes for the new ones at their stores.

I went there today and exchanged my old boxes for the new ones and am hoping to see a reduction in my electric costs.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I contacted Cablevision and was told that the "Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD Digital" Cable Boxes that I have in my home are not Energy Star Compliant.

The new Samsung boxes they offer are Energy Compliant and Cablevision will swap out the old boxes for the new ones at their stores.

I went there today and exchanged my old boxes for the new ones and am hoping to see a reduction in my electric costs.
You'll also see a reduction in the speed of your cable box... FYI.

The Samsungs are nice, but the reaction time of the remotes gets a little slow

Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM

111 posts, read 223,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Your DVR was powered off as well? I assume it wouldn't record if it has no power. If you're saying that your DVR/cable box was plugged in but everything else was on a separate power strip that you shut off, as I originally suggested, then I'm confused as to why it didn't record.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
You'll also see a reduction in the speed of your cable box... FYI.

The Samsungs are nice, but the reaction time of the remotes gets a little slow
That's a problem with Cablevision mostly.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Yes, its their decision to go with their own user interface that causes this.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM

111 posts, read 223,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Yes, its their decision to go with their own user interface that causes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
In my completely biased opinion, EVERYTHING with Cablevision is a problem. I had to go to the Better Business Bureau several years ago to get these jerks to honor an advertised sign-up special.

(And agreed that their UI is a horror show.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island