Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times

Advertisements

Reply to TristansMommy:

Quote:
But.. here's the problem. There are so many different districts on LI. What if one district has only 1 special needs student.. or maybe 3 or 4, adn another has more? Yet each SD must keep certain equipment or staff?
You are entitles to whatever your child needs. If your school district doesn't have a particular program that your child needs then they have to send your child someplace that can meet your child's needs. End of story. If they give you and s@#t get an advocate. Early intervention is critical - don't let some school administrator decide the fate of your child.

By the way - this is one reason why being in a particular school district doesn't matter when it comes to special education needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Reply to TristansMommy:

You are entitles to whatever your child needs. If your school district doesn't have a particular program that your child needs then they have to send your child someplace that can meet your child's needs. End of story. If they give you and s@#t get an advocate. Early intervention is critical - don't let some school administrator decide the fate of your child.

By the way - this is one reason why being in a particular school district doesn't matter when it comes to special education needs.
A lot of school districts are starting to consolidate the special needs kids instead of sending them to the more expensive Boces and private schools. Districts that provide these services will, when space allows, take in kids from other districts.

Nbres, I agree wholehartedly about Early Intervention. Kids are like sponges and the earlier you give them the help, the less help they'll need overall. EI is one of the few cost effective government run programs.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 AM

28 posts, read 152,419 times
Not that I would wish it on my worst enemy, but if you had a child with special needs you would never even think of posting something like that. (first post)

Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
Thank you for the support, my daughter has down's syndrome, she is 18 and the road of special education for her has been a daunting one to say the least. She is very speech delayed and last year they wanted to give her speech only one day a week. Meanwhile, they improved the esl services in my district. If it was fair across the board, that would be fine. The special education is the first to be cut from the budgets. Some districts it is non existent. It is a fight from preschool until graduation. I am sure abuse takes place in certain situations, but for the most part you have to jump through hoops just to get what the student is entitled to.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 AM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
I find it sad and appalling that anyone would question funding for special education.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
I know first hand that many people move to our school district solely because of it's policies regarding special ed. They are unable to get the services they need or want from other school districts, so they move here. I'm not saying that it is wrong to provide the services, but there should be a better way of funding them. Funding for state mandated services should come from the state not from the individual school districts.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
A lot of kids would not wind up special ed (I don't mean Down Syndrome kids or ones who have disorders) if the schools would teach a bit slower and try to adapt to the proper ages of the kids. No Child Left Behind just causes more stress, more testing, more 'getting the kids ready for those tests,' so the schools get the funding they need.

My son is classified special ed. and we had to fight like hell to get the services in NY. Now the people here in Vermont are working FOR us and doing all they can in the first few weeks.

I don't miss the b.s. in NY when it comes to his school ONE BIT. They used to act like they were doing us a favor. The schools GET MORE MONEY/aid if a child is classified special ed. All schools see is $$$$.

Parents, if your kid needs services, go to the state and the schools and demand you get them.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:07 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
Gyseysoul- totally agree with you! I always here how wonderful NY is as far as schools are concerned. My son who is not in special education came home the other day with a paper he wrote, there were many mispelled words, I said how come the teacher did not make you correct them? He said "she said spelling does not count" They are training these kids to pass tests and no longer learn the basics. I am outta here soon.!!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 AM

93 posts, read 607,013 times
I guess those who bring this up over and over again don't realize how hard it is to be "classified" for special ed services. You have to have significant learning issues or disability that directly impacts education. Children that clearly are disabled have to prove it and meet the state regs. So don't believe all the conservative spin in the media about this right now. There is absolutely reason to think special ed is hemmoraging money. Like previous posters have pointed out there are much much bigger issues in the school system. This is a non issue. It is much much harder to get services for a needy child than one would think and it is darn near impossible to classify a kid who isn't learning diasbled.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
I find it sad and appalling that anyone would question funding for special education.
I don't think they were questioning funding for special needs, but more so addressing the issue of schools requiring it IF there IS no speciall needs person at that particular time in the district. If the state is mandating a school to have something that that school doesn't need at the moment, then it's wasted money.. and as high as our taxes are.. you can imagine why they'd be asking.

I don't think anyone would deny ANY child what they so sorely need or even suggest that we deny it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island