Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM

198 posts, read 779,431 times

Advertisements

We need to move sometime next year.
Renting houses or a part of a house seems to be a lot more common here than apartment communities. So we are considering it.

Our reservation is when you factor in Heat, Elec, Water, Sewer, Oil, other? utilities for the house- arent they MUCH more expensive than in an apartment.

if with utilities we want to be at 2000-2200, is that doable for a 2 (ideally 3) bedroom and 1.5+ bathroom rental in a good district (Sachem at least)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times
The answer is "It depends", but optimistically you should consider adding at least about $300 to $400 a month for utilities to the base rent.

You can almost ignore water and sewer - as they are small.

Your biggest expenses will be heat(oil or gas), electricity and cable or other monthly services.

Heating and electricity heavily depend on: 1) your family size, needs and habits, i.e. with young children your expenses may be higher; 2) the insulation and size of the house, as well as the efficiency of the heating system.

For example, in a 3BR/2B, I use about 650-700 gallons of oil per year. The price per gallon depends on contract conditions, deals etc, but is high - >$4 now. Electricity - I am a very conservative user and is only $50/month. You may consider $100/month.

Things easily add up to $300-$500/month.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
The answer is "It depends", but optimistically you should consider adding at least about $300 to $400 a month for utilities to the base rent.

You can almost ignore water and sewer - as they are small.

Your biggest expenses will be heat(oil or gas), electricity and cable or other monthly services.

Heating and electricity heavily depend on: 1) your family size, needs and habits, i.e. with young children your expenses may be higher; 2) the insulation and size of the house, as well as the efficiency of the heating system.

For example, in a 3BR/2B, I use about 650-700 gallons of oil per year. The price per gallon depends on contract conditions, deals etc, but is high - >$4 now. Electricity - I am a very conservative user and is only $50/month. You may consider $100/month.

Things easily add up to $300-$500/month.
Hmm i find this confusing- so right now we are renting about 800square foot 1 bedroom apartment, balanced billing on LIPA is 132- So you are saying for a same size house it would be cheaper? I was under the assumption that the price per kWatt(or however they price it) in a house was HIGHER than in an apartment?

Heat for this apartment can also get very high, close to 100$ sometimes- so i assumed once again that for a house it would be 200 or more.

Do you know if an electric range adds considerable cost to the electricity bill or if the overall cost toward the bill is small?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
Hmm i find this confusing- so right now we are renting about 800square foot 1 bedroom apartment, balanced billing on LIPA is 132- So you are saying for a same size house it would be cheaper? I was under the assumption that the price per kWatt(or however they price it) in a house was HIGHER than in an apartment?

Heat for this apartment can also get very high, close to 100$ sometimes- so i assumed once again that for a house it would be 200 or more.

Do you know if an electric range adds considerable cost to the electricity bill or if the overall cost toward the bill is small?
1. Electricity: $/kWh is the same for an apartment or a house. Your usage in a house is likely to be higher - main expenses are with electric dryer, electric stove and fridge (if not energy efficient); and esp. air conditioning in the summer, if you use such. My electricity bill is unusually low - so, nothing to be confused about. You are likely to use more electricity in a house than you currently do, if you did not have some of the above mentioned appliances in the apartment.

2. Heat definitely will be higher - as I said. Again, my use may be on the low side, but even then - 700 gal of oil @ $4.50 is about $260/month (spread over 12 months).

Again, conservatively, $350-$400/month for utilities.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
We need to move sometime next year.
Renting houses or a part of a house seems to be a lot more common here than apartment communities. So we are considering it.

Our reservation is when you factor in Heat, Elec, Water, Sewer, Oil, other? utilities for the house- arent they MUCH more expensive than in an apartment.

if with utilities we want to be at 2000-2200, is that doable for a 2 (ideally 3) bedroom and 1.5+ bathroom rental in a good district (Sachem at least)?
Oil heat: $600-$800 (150-200 gal.) every 6-8 weeks from Oct-April
Electric: $300 +/- Bi-Monthly
Water & Sewer: $85 each +/- every 3 months

Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 PM

what kind of heat is more common in long island houses? Oil or gas? will it be hard to find a gas heating house?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Oil was probably more common, but more and more people are switching to gas. It really depends on if there is gas in the neighborhood. If you can find a rental you like with gas go for it - oil is expensive, it's a pain in the neck to deal with the deliveries and if something goes wrong it will always be on the coldest day of the year when a blizzard is coming!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I don'r rent but I had a question...If you rent a home that has oil for heat who is repsonsible for paying for the oil when it needs to be filled up?? You or the landlord? I know you would have to pay other utilities.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
I agree with Twingles...go with gas if you can. Oil delivery is normally good, but when it fails its usually when you need it most. Nobody cares if the oil guy doesn't show up on a sunny day.

For reference on the electric bill...we have 3 adults and 2 kids. Other than the standard electric usage, we have an electric hot water heater which is a killer. We pay about $180 a month on avg.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don'r rent but I had a question...If you rent a home that has oil for heat who is repsonsible for paying for the oil when it needs to be filled up?? You or the landlord? I know you would have to pay other utilities.
It depends on what was agreed upon and would (should!) be stated in the lease. If heat is not included, the tenant pays for the gas or oil.

Generally, whole house rentals state that the tenant pays most if not all of the utilities, with the possible exception of water and sewers (where applicable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: