Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,681,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I vacation on the Island during the summer, but an indoor ski run has no interest for me.
Me neither....Strattons close enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I can list 10 families I know, all work civil service jobs, MANY the spouse doesn't work! Each have at least 2-4 kids, and all own houses in LI. All paid anywhere from 250,000-480,000 for their houses and all go on family trips, some multiple a year (Hershey, Disney, Wildwood, Sesame Place, etc). And I am 100% sure there is not family $, b/c they are members of my family and I know this for a fact. I kidd you not.

Does going to Splish Splash for a day really break the bank? Who is to say how much this Skiing resort is going to cost? And I agree, I understood it was to be a vacation destination, for others to travel to, more than for only LI'ers to enjoy.

Maybe b/c they don't have school loans to pay off they have the $? Could that be the difference between some and others? B/c none of these people have college loans hanging over their heads....

Maybe it is a nice blue collar vaction.

Wouldnt you just go upstate to Ski.

Its a daytrip

C

Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,114,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Maybe it is a nice blue collar vaction.

C
Where else would you take your kids? We ARE talking about FAMILY oriented vacations...such as Splish Splash and an Indoor Ski resort, not traveling to Rome or Greece.

You are the one assuming no one will be able to afford it when we don't know if it is average theme park priced yet. Actually, if the plan is to have a water park, I am quite sure it would be aimed at families so I would bet it does not cost much more than your average theme park. So that is exactly my point that everyone I know will be able to afford a trip like that once a year or so.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 09-20-2007 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,410,489 times
Quote:

I just dont get it...wouldnt you just go upstate to Ski?
Its not like its far.
Can't get much skiing done in the middle of July.

It's a unique gimmick, which might draw a decent amount people who want to check it out.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
It's a unique gimmick, which might draw a decent amount people who want to check it out.
That is the point that Clammy is missing amd will draw many visitors for sure, who can surely afford it.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM

105 posts, read 496,746 times
Quote:
I just dont get it...wouldnt you just go upstate to Ski?
Its not like its far.
I'm sure many Long Islanders who like to ski would take advantage of this facility.

I don't know much about the traffic patterns on Long Island but we do know all about Route 95 issues. I suspect that the opportunity to ski without having to deal with the drive time, traffic, and tolls that going "upstate" from Long Island involves, would be well worth it to Long Islanders who ski.

Why drive to Vermont if you can do the same thing less than an hour from your front door? And not have it weather dependent as well -- sounds like a very very good idea to me.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,153,737 times
But is skiing inside a big building the same as hitting someplace in the mountains? It's not just the activity but the things you're doing when you aren't on the slopes that make it fun.

Also what kind of traffic will a tourist have to go through to get to this place in July?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 PM

105 posts, read 496,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
But is skiing inside a big building the same as hitting someplace in the mountains? It's not just the activity but the things you're doing when you aren't on the slopes that make it fun.
I admit, we don't ski and have never had the inclination to .... and neither of us are lovers of cold and snow, so we've never been to any ski resort and don't know what else there normally is to do there. If we were to go to one, the only thing I could imagine being interested in doing would be trying a snowmobile (because it would be something new). Or if there were horsedrawn sleigh rides anywhere, I'd definitely do that (much more my speed ... literally!).

An indoor ski facility would be a great boon for people who want to learn or to have year-round practicing to increase their skills, I would think -- just like ice rinks are, versus the winter-frozen-pond setting, for skaters and hockey players.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Where else would you take your kids? We ARE talking about FAMILY oriented vacations...such as Splish Splash and an Indoor Ski resort, not traveling to Rome or Greece.

You are the one assuming no one will be able to afford it when we don't know if it is average theme park priced yet. Actually, if the plan is to have a water park, I am quite sure it would be aimed at families so I would bet it does not cost much more than your average theme park. So that is exactly my point that everyone I know will be able to afford a trip like that once a year or so.
Sorry Gladdy
I thought you were talking about real vacations, not day trips....my bad.

I do belive that is a missed opportunity for economic growth.
We couldve lured much better employers/jobs with that space.

C

Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I do belive that is a missed opportunity for economic growth.
We couldve lured much better employers/jobs with that space.
C
You are probably right on this one, but I still think having a major attraction would be a great feature for LI. Yes, it will add traffic, no it will not increase good paying jobs, but it is better than just making another mall or something ordinary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island