Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
They may now allow you to apply for the rebates yourself now but if you use someone on their list they do all of the paper work. I got the cheaper boiler and discount for going from oil to gas.
Yes, that may very well be the case. Even though my boiler guy is taking care of all paperwork for the purchase and installation, I have to send in all the paperwork for the rebates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:12 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I had my conversion done October 2011 and it cost me $3300 total, but I already had gas coming in for hot water and stove. I did not use a plumber from National Grid I used a guy that I already had.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 29,512 times
I'm sorry I missed some of this conversation. Had a plumber over last nite, he gave us a quote of $6000 without the burner. The burner would cost about $2000. The oil tank is full, so he would empty, cut up, and dispose of it for $600. I, too, would like to know what other people spent and what they got. I also thought that we could do something with $1000 of oil!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyheart View Post
I'm sorry I missed some of this conversation. Had a plumber over last nite, he gave us a quote of $6000 without the burner. The burner would cost about $2000. The oil tank is full, so he would empty, cut up, and dispose of it for $600. I, too, would like to know what other people spent and what they got. I also thought that we could do something with $1000 of oil!
Though not truly legal you can sell your oil and make at least $500. If you put an add on CL people will jump on it. Why is he charging you $6000 without the cost of boiler? My total setup with the boiler was a little over $7k
and I had no gas in my home and my boiler had to be be big enough for 5 zones.

Can you give us a rundown about what you're trying to accomplish?
1. Do you currently have gas?
2. How difficult is it to access your boiler?
3. Are you converting your stoves also

This is the link where you can see the cost of the different boilers and the rebates NG is offering
https://www.powerofaction.com/media/...F_writable.pdf

Last edited by nycbrooklyn; 05-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: update

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 29,512 times
Just purchased home--we are totally gutting the entire house. The house currently is heated by oil. We would like to convert to gas. There is gas already in the street, but not to the house. NG says they will bring gas line to the house, at no cost to us. There will be no problem with access to the boiler. We feel that now would be the time to convert. Making some more appts.with other plumbers and hoping that converting to gas will fit in our budget!!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 PM

49 posts, read 96,063 times
Had my converted in Nassau County/Franklin Square. Labor was $6500, boiler/indirect water tank and thermostats were like $2000 but got massive rebates back. Plus my company paid me back 3,500 for this conversion. Made out well and glad I did it.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 AM

69 posts, read 210,969 times
Default Rebate info for gas conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingman21 View Post
Had my converted in Nassau County/Franklin Square. Labor was $6500, boiler/indirect water tank and thermostats were like $2000 but got massive rebates back. Plus my company paid me back 3,500 for this conversion. Made out well and glad I did it.
We are planning for gas conversion too but seem not seeing any info about rebates. Could you kindly point out where we can find info about the rebates? Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Though not truly legal you can sell your oil and make at least $500. If you put an add on CL people will jump on it.
Why is reselling your oil not legal??? I bought it, I own it, why cant I resell it?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
Could be wrong but I think the legal issue is more for a company reselling used oil. I doubt that there is an issue with you selling your personal used oil to a company, though I';m not sure of the law.

I'm assuming they don't want fly by night companies selling used oil as "new" or crappy unfit used oil as fit for burning.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 AM

49 posts, read 96,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleinli View Post
We are planning for gas conversion too but seem not seeing any info about rebates. Could you kindly point out where we can find info about the rebates? Thanks a lot in advance.
You can do a google search and it comes up with all the information you need.

https://www.powerofaction.com/media/..._RebateApp.pdf

https://www.powerofaction.com/mnyrgnaturalgasheating/

Wales-Darby Blog: National Grid Announces 2012 Energy Efficiency Rebate Program

I would contact National Grid anyway to see if there is any money left over for the rebates. If not, you'll have to wait till 2013.

good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island