Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Just recently took a class on mold issues and one of the instructors (a mold professional) talked about that subject. His professional advice was not to go below 60% because it could start to draw moisture in through the walls - something to avoid. 60-65% supposedly was "ideal", with 70% the max.
Thanks, Elke! This is very helpful!
Thanks for the advice from others too.

I was thinking of maybe using vacuum bags for storage.
Certainly is easy for me to use plastic bins with cedar balls or other hygroscopic material.

Will have to explore more about the attic - I see some hatches from 2 closets, and the inspector went up there from the garage. But he was walking carefully.

I don't have much stuff, but it will be a shame to not be able to use all this nice space down in the basement. Will have to monitor it.

I think I have higher tolerance than normal to extreme temperatures and humidity - so I rather measure things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I've used the vacuum bags too - they work well and do save a ton of space!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM

629 posts, read 963,283 times
I have mine currently at 55%. I may up it to 60% based on some comments here and considering I don't use the basement for much besides laundry and storage right now.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I've used the vacuum bags too - they work well and do save a ton of space!
I realize this is OT, sorry in advance, but I never used those. My SIL bought some and said they didn't fully evacuate when hooked to the vacuum. I don't know if it was her spazzing out, knock off bags, or what-have-you. Based on her experience I decided not to buy them. Is there a particular brand you found works well?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I realize this is OT, sorry in advance, but I never used those. My SIL bought some and said they didn't fully evacuate when hooked to the vacuum. I don't know if it was her spazzing out, knock off bags, or what-have-you. Based on her experience I decided not to buy them. Is there a particular brand you found works well?
I had some in the past but found they didnt hold their vacum very well. As a result, I'd have a ton of pillows and sh*t that i thought fit nicely under the bed, but I couldn't get it out when I wanted to use them!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I used the "real thing"...got them at Bed Bath and Beyond. I didn't have any trouble getting the air out, but ...they don't do a great job of holding the vacuum seal. However, even with air getting into the bags, the stuff still stayed flat as pancakes. It was GREAT when we moved - I put all the comforters and pillows in those bags and was able to get so much more into a packing box.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times
Bought a hygrometer and went around the house to measure the humidity after work today.
Did not run the dehumidifier and did not run the AC for the last 12 hours.
The basement was nice - cooler and dryer - humidity at about 58%. The main floor - humidity was in the high 60%s.

Tested the CAC (it's new but not sure of its parameters) - very effortlessly drops temperature without running constantly - I guess - the benefits of a smaller single floor house...

Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
....but is it dropping the humidity as it drops temperature too?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
I'm a big fan of Space Bags - you can pick them up on eBay for very little money.
They protect your clothing against moisture and bugs and are reusable.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Just recently took a class on mold issues and one of the instructors (a mold professional) talked about that subject. His professional advice was not to go below 60% because it could start to draw moisture in through the walls - something to avoid. 60-65% supposedly was "ideal", with 70% the max.
this is why i love internet forums - thx for the info.

As an aside, I got a 70pint dehumidifier but anything that you can drain out to a sink would give you an excuse to go smaller. Manual emptying would be too much work in my opinion. I had done that initially and it was filling within a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island