Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:32 PM

241 posts, read 732,776 times

Advertisements

Please tell me all that's you know about schools, surrounding area, LIRR.(Hempstead). Is it an incorporated Village? We are a married Caucasian couple with school aged children. Accessibility to Manhattan, good schools, low crime is important. In our vast search we are now considering Bellrose Village. We drove through the area and couldnt believe how gorgeous it was. In my uneducated knowledge of the south shore, I always associated that particular area as "not good" but like I said that is ignorance from never knowing the area and just passing with the cross island. When we drove through it it felt like some special enclave south of Jericho but the momemt you where out of the village the charm dropped significantly. The surrounding areas looked fine but no where as nice as Bellrose Village. tell me what you know about the area. We are very torn about leaving the city but want to explore our closest Nassau options. I greatly appreciate your input. We really want our kids to grow up city smart so this is a huge dilemma for me and my husband as we both feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpIslander View Post
Is it an incorporated Village?
Yes.

A map of the Village of Bellerose in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

All places in the Village of Bellerose have a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM

96 posts, read 187,169 times
I understand it's a nice village in a bad school district. You are better off trying to find something in your budget in Garden City.
Too bad, because it is charming, well planned, has a lot of great houses, and has its own LIRR station in walking distance for the whole village.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM

83 posts, read 255,001 times
I would stay away from Bellerose Village, Garden City is the way to go if you can afford it.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM

Please specify why you feel that we should "stay away". I take no offense to opinions/facts. Crime stats, surrounding areas, why exactly should we stay away.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM

7,939 posts, read 9,160,764 times
IMO not worth the money. Houses are beautiful, but across the street from Bellerose Queens, a predominantly Indian community which is reflected in the types of stores present. School districts are Floral Park-Bellerose for elementary schools and Sewanhaka Central for high school. For the money and taxes you will pay, you can do a lot better in Garden City or East Williston.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
IMO not worth the money. Houses are beautiful, but across the street from Bellerose Queens, a predominantly Indian community which is reflected in the types of stores present. School districts are Floral Park-Bellerose for elementary schools and Sewanhaka Central for high school. For the money and taxes you will pay, you can do a lot better in Garden City or East Williston.

East Williston is one of our top contender along with Port Washington line hamlets. We just happened to stumble into the town and were curious. PLease keep the comments coming!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM

7,939 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpIslander View Post
Which would you choose and why?
Floral Park. Less snooty and less taxes/ less housing costs to go to the same school district. Just make sure to verify the house is in the Village of Floral Park (and not FP crest or FP center or FP south)

Old 06-26-2012, 09:23 PM

ALso is Tulip Avenue the only closest shopping area? I was not impressed with the store selction around Jericho. We would love to have a downtown to walk to. Jericho had a"blah commerical feel". Too much auto repair stores, tire shops and car dealers.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Floral Park. Less snooty and less taxes/ less housing costs to go to the same school district. Just make sure to verify the house is in the Village of Floral Park (and not FP crest or FP center or FP south)
Thank you. I want to create a new thread for this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island