Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I do think people need to be more mobile and not tied to one place. There, that's my point.
And you hit on the crucial point. Given that the job market has become permanently more fluid and unstable, ADAPTABILITY is critical to career success. That is the reason why higher education is essential since people with college and post-graduate degrees have more flexibility to switch fields, learn new skills and job locations. But education is not enough. Educated workers need to spot trends in the job market early on and be willing to make changes – big changes if necessary – to their career paths so they can take advantage of new opportunities.

It's only going to get worse if anyone read that New York Times article about finance companies moving desk jobs to other states. Even Deutsche Bank is relocating its traders to Jacksonville. You either have to be willing to move with the jobs or learn skills in careers that will grow in NY in the future. That's just the way it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
we wouldnt be able to blame Wall Street, politicians and others for our poor financial condition.
Except that we – under the behest of politicians – bailed out the finance companies and delayed the inevitable restructuring of the banking sector. As a consequence, 4 years after the recession, banks are now losing jobs instead of creating jobs had they restructured sooner. So yes, the blame is well deserved and I hope we all learn from this and not vote for politicians who subsidize banks with tax breaks or money from the treasury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
And you hit on the crucial point. Given that the job market has become permanently more fluid and unstable, ADAPTABILITY is critical to career success. That is the reason why higher education is essential since people with college and post-graduate degrees have more flexibility to switch fields, learn new skills and job locations. But education is not enough. Educated workers need to spot trends in the job market early on and be willing to make changes – big changes if necessary – to their career paths so they can take advantage of new opportunities.

It's only going to get worse if anyone read that New York Times article about finance companies moving desk jobs to other states. Even Deutsche Bank is relocating its traders to Jacksonville. You either have to be willing to move with the jobs or learn skills in careers that will grow in NY in the future. That's just the way it goes.

Except that we – under the behest of politicians – bailed out the finance companies and delayed the inevitable restructuring of the banking sector. As a consequence, 4 years after the recession, banks are now losing jobs instead of creating jobs had they restructured sooner. So yes, the blame is well deserved and I hope we all learn from this and not vote for politicians who subsidize banks with tax breaks or money from the treasury.
Considering that both parties would have done (and did do) the same thing, it doesn't leave the voter with much alternative. You're pretty much left with Ron Paul or Ralph Nader.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 AM

138 posts, read 270,665 times
Yes people do need to be mobile and not tied to one place, however tell that to the numerous homeowners that cannot sell their homes. On these boards, many people seem to really disapprove of those who rent but it seems like with the lack of job security it can be the smartest choice (except for the fact that rents are much higher on long island then else where)

I wish the documentary had went into more detail regarding the cost of living and salaries for professionals on long island compared to other parts of the country. I would have liked to hear more about specific long island industries leaving and why they are leaving long island as well. And also what can be done about it.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM

372 posts, read 740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
- start our own businesses when we pass by store after store closed due to recession?

- you're "sure" they net more in their own job standing behind a counter all day? Did you happen to ask how many hours a week they work? Well I'm pretty "sure" "they" need to, some more than others. Do you see them driving nice cars or living in nice houses? And before you mention anything about people "showing off their wealth"... don't forget who gets to enjoy the wealth first. Or more appropriately, who doesn't. Maybe these shop owners are the sole income while the other half watches the kids at home? They come home at 930pm and get to do it again at 7am? Getting even more taxed by the evil gov't? Is this the american dream for many of these foreigners you speak of?

- I think I'm pretty fortunate in coming from a responsible, good family and don't blame the gov't for anything. I don't care about politics nor Wall Street. Sounds like the kind of generalization you wish others were making so you'd feel better about not doing the same. I'm living my life for my family and hobbies. A job is just a means to continue the lifestyle. I actually love the work I do and do it sitting at home everyday. The trade-off is they don't pay top dollar but that's what you get for "work/life balance" - I do whatever I want and whenever - for a big corporation. If while in college you asked me to choose between owning my own place working crazy hours with a chance of falling on my face or doing this / any normal-hours job with paid time off, guess which I would choose? But here you are suggesting we skip college and go for broke. I thought you said to be responsible?

Don't get me wrong - I think it's great that small businesses (and I don't mean the corner deli in Queens) can succeed. Behind those are usually educated individuals or partners who knew how to make the right decisions and are willing to put in the effort. I didn't see what your solution would be for the kid who didn't even go to school to start something like that for himself. Maybe you could tell us what you did and we'll be able to judge if just anyone can do the same.
I didnt say to skip college, I'm just saying that most of the people who brag about being educated are stupid. We have the wrong mindset about college, Things have changed and we can either adjust ourselves or keep looking to others to provide for us. Like I said, people are so educated yet they can't even make a living for themselves. Face it, your college education was most likely just training for a job, and is not much use for helping yourself do anything outside of the failing corporate structure.

As for what I've done, I'm still young and I work an office job for which I am grateful for, but every weekend I'm working on my side businesses to build wealth and a source of income so if I do lose my job I'll have something fall back on and won't have to cry and complain.

As for the bold, this would have to be a collective effort where everybody supported one another like they did before wal-mart came to town. That's the reason why you see so many closed stores.

Quote:
[color=black]

You have every right to have that mentality. Good luck with it, but I won't put my life solely in other's hands. And if you think the politicians you vote for actually matter, think again. The jobs have being going away for the last few decades and it didnt matter who was in office.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You have every right to have that mentality. Good luck with it, but I won't put my life solely in other's hands. And if you think the politicians you vote for actually matter, think again. The jobs have being going away for the last few decades and it didnt matter who was in office.
That's because you're incapable of understanding the relationship between the political environment and the private sector. Just look at the banks whom we permitted to get bailed out. Almost every corporate loan under $500M nowadays is best efforts. Why can't they lend their own money? Because their capital is tied up in trading and investment banking. Why didn't they unwind these businesses long ago? Because they were bailed out. If the politicos didn't bail them out, banks today would be hiring more lending and credit officers and branch managers and less traders and i-bankers. See how it goes?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:19 PM

372 posts, read 740,695 times
Quote:
That's because you're incapable of understanding the relationship between the political environment and the private sector. Just look at the banks whom we permitted to get bailed out. Almost every corporate loan under $500M nowadays is best efforts. Why can't they lend their own money? Because their capital is tied up in trading and investment banking. Why didn't they unwind these businesses long ago? Because they were bailed out. If the politicos didn't bail them out, banks today would be hiring more lending and credit officers and branch managers and less traders and i-bankers. See how it goes?
That's nothing in relation to the millions of manufacturing and call center jobs that have been outsourced to East Asia, Mexico and India over the past few years.
You sound like you sit and watch news channels all day.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One of the men mentioned ageism.

Another said FedEx wouldn't hire him for holiday deliveries be pause he was overqualified. He was willing to work hut FedEx wouldn't have him.

A young woman was a teacher for 3 years when laid off ; her husband, a chiropractor, saw his practice slow down as clients couldn't afford him due to the economic downturn. They had two young children, a mortgage they were trying to modify. Saddest part -- he died at the age of 35 due to a rare virus. My heart went out to his wife and children.

One man found a job upstate and lived with his son up there while his wife stayed home on LI.

Another man finally found a job : training his new companies employees in India.
I can tell they kinda tried to tie in the foreclosure as the reason for contracting the disease (cleaning out the garage, I think).

Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That's nothing in relation to the millions of manufacturing and call center jobs that have been outsourced to East Asia, Mexico and India over the past few years.
You sound like you sit and watch news channels all day.
And the point is? Those people in LI don't work in manufacturing or call centers so your post is irrelevant. Financial services matters more to them as it does to most New Yorkers.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
I can tell they kinda tried to tie in the foreclosure as the reason for contracting the disease (cleaning out the garage, I think).
Montauk doctor dies from rare rodent virus, officials say | 7online.com

Quote:
Officials suspect that he had contracted hantavirus from mouse droppings in the basement of his home, which he had been cleaning recently.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I wish the documentary had went into more detail regarding the cost of living and salaries for professionals on long island compared to other parts of the country. I would have liked to hear more about specific long island industries leaving and why they are leaving long island as well. And also what can be done about it.

Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island