Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times

Advertisements

due to our delightful upper middle class discussion, I realize it's not about income it's about what's outgoing. That said, what percent of your $ is left over every month.

Take out:
mortgage
car
life/car insurance
student loans
retirement
utilities
groceries
lunches/dinners

I have about 32% left over for whatever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Is that 32% of your net left over?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
due to our delightful upper middle class discussion, I realize it's not about income it's about what's outgoing. That said, what percent of your $ is left over every month.

Take out:
mortgage
car
life/car insurance
student loans
retirement
utilities
groceries
lunches/dinners

I have about 32% left over for whatever
I don't really agree with your premise if you're relating economic class to left over spending money at the end of the month. You can have 2 families making 200K a year..one has each parent driving a Mercedes, the other each is driving Hyundai. They are both upper middle class but one has much less many left over at the end of the month.

If you mean by "it" generally financial well being, than yes, it is about what you have left over at the end of the month. Although I would consider retirement the same as savings.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Ummm.. well.. since I am self employed it's hard to do it by month, but annually, I have about 55% for whatever. I probably spend about 20% of that on non-business related travel (most of my travel is business related). The rest is banked/invested.

Most people have health insurance co-pays. I pay all my health insurance, plus a disability policy.

also add

child care
commutation
clothing

and you should see what some people pay for dry cleaning each month. WOW!!

A very important percentage is what people put away in savings each month which would be accessible in case of layoff, illness.

And that's where a lot of people got caught.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM

yes, 32% after gross with which i could burn, buy lego sets, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Is that 32% of your net left over?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:23 PM

you're not umc if you're rolling quarters between checks no matter what you earn. discretionary leftovers is a pretty good gauge IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't really agree with your premise if you're relating economic class to left over spending money at the end of the month. You can have 2 families making 200K a year..one has each parent driving a Mercedes, the other each is driving Hyundai. They are both upper middle class but one has much less many left over at the end of the month.

If you mean by "it" generally financial well being, than yes, it is about what you have left over at the end of the month. Although I would consider retirement the same as savings.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
I think there's a big difference between a nurse or a union guy making $80k-$100k, and a VP or doctor earning $200k-$300k. That's the difference between middle and upper-middle class. One income bracket likely has 10x the disposable income and 10x the assets of the other, even though income is only ~2x more.
I'm assuming you started this thread based off this. Now a better way to look at it is, what kind of lifestyle does $200k buy you vs $100k on LI after basic COL/nut is covered. That will tell you upper-middle class vs middle class.

The $200k+ upper-middle class earner likely owns a home in an area like Garden City (just throwing an example), drives a $50k luxury auto, has a portfolio/retirement nest egg and disposable income at 5-10x that of the $100k earner. The $100k earner probably lives in an area like East Meadow, drives a Toyota, has a fraction of the disposable income and portfolio of the $200k+ earner.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
36% after it's all deducted.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM

91 posts, read 201,092 times
Ours is about 30% (if you are not counting gas) and 25% if you deduct average fuel costs. That's with one hybrid, too. Sheesh!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
I cant calculate that because for me it changes every month based on my job. Lunches/dinners especially - because sometimes we do client lunches at work (the firm picks up the tab) or sometimes my husband and I go out to eat 2x in a week, and sometimes the next month we will eat home cooked meals for almost every day and weekends.

I only know that I have about 40% left over after my major debts are paid off every month (which includes mortgage/cell phones/auto/loans, etc). I use a credit card to pay for almost everything because I get Rewards points so all my costs for gas, groceries, clothing, social expenses go on that which I pay in full the following month. So some months I can stick as much as $500/month into savings and other months only $50. So it depends.

I use Mint.com for my budgeting expenses - its really a great app, I have it on my phone and iPad and it keeps me on track with spending. I highly recommend it - its so user friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island