Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
BeeHave- I was referring to 116, 128, 133,134, and 135.
Thanks.

I went and looked at the posts. Petunia lists that she is a RE Agent, and truthfully, none of her posts sound like she is trying to sell anything, other than the fact that her life is less taxed in NC. NT is the mod; she's not doing anything outside of the TOS.

Many former LIers come back onto the board and state how much things are better for them wherever it is they went to. That appears to be the case with these posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
I agree. I am in the process of trying to sell my house so my husband and our baby can move back to LI and while I've never questioned my reasons or decision, the anti-LI posts get me a little bummed out.
Don't get bummed, there are many people that still love LI...Remember, a large portion of the whiners on this board are doing so b/c they cannot "afford" to live here...or they prefer to have a 3000 sq. ft. house above all else. If you feel it's the right move, certainly don't let naysayers on this board sway you in any way.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Don't get bummed, there are many people that still love LI...Remember, a large portion of the whiners on this board are doing so b/c they cannot "afford" to live here...or they prefer to have a 3000 sq. ft. house above all else. If you feel it's the right move, certainly don't let naysayers on this board sway you in any way.
I agree. Don't let the haters get to ya!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I agree. Don't let the haters get to ya!
Word, yo...we should start a non-LI-hata club. How about the We Heart LI Association? Perhaps the Non-Whining LI Club?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post

I find this post amusing. I grew up on LI and I would have continued to live on LI, but now LI is very different. Honestly, I couldn't justify the cost of living for what I was getting. We could afford to live on LI, we were doing it, we just got tired of "doing it". The most important thing to me was having the choice to stay home with my kids. It would have broke my heart to send them to daycare to afford to just "live". Since hubby was transferred we actually make more money per year, I am able to stay home with our kids until I CHOOSE to go back to work (I may not), we actually have a large savings account and can put our heads on the pillow every night and not worry about bills. We didn't prefer to have a 3000 sq foot home...but it is one of the perks of not living in LI or any other high cost of living place. Do I miss family and friends? Of course, but they don't pay my bills or will put my kids through college. Quality of life and spending time with my hubby and kids was most important to me. I think people bash LI because it really is a shame how it turned out, we are angry that it is not the place we remember.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I find this post amusing. I grew up on LI and I would have continued to live on LI, but now LI is very different. Honestly, I couldn't justify the cost of living for what I was getting. We could afford to live on LI, we were doing it, we just got tired of "doing it". The most important thing to me was having the choice to stay home with my kids. It would have broke my heart to send them to daycare to afford to just "live". Since hubby was transferred we actually make more money per year, I am able to stay home with our kids until I CHOOSE to go back to work (I may not), we actually have a large savings account and can put our heads on the pillow every night and not worry about bills. We didn't prefer to have a 3000 sq foot home...but it is one of the perks of not living in LI or any other high cost of living place. Do I miss family and friends? Of course, but they don't pay my bills or will put my kids through college. Quality of life and spending time with my hubby and kids was most important to me. I think people bash LI because it really is a shame how it turned out, we are angry that it is not the place we remember.
I'm happy that your move worked out well for you

Now read your last line, and think of the community that you have moved to. It is changing with each transplanted new resident. The long time residents are probably echoing the very same sentiment which you've written. They can remember when your house was nothing more than a field -- perhaps one they taught Jr to hunt in, or that their grandfather tilled with a mule.

Change is inevitable and it is not something we can stop. Sure, we all miss our 'old LI' but then again there are people missing their 'old Queens', 'old Westchester' and (as I've read on the Florida boards) their 'old Florida'. This feeling of loss crosses many state lines.

As for memories: how many are softened in time, coarse edges don't seem as rough; sweet times all the more sweet.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Now read your last line, and think of the community that you have moved to. It is changing with each transplanted new resident. The long time residents are probably echoing the very same sentiment which you've written. They can remember when your house was nothing more than a field -- perhaps one they taught Jr to hunt in, or that their grandfather tilled with a mule.

Change is inevitable and it is not something we can stop. Sure, we all miss our 'old LI' but then again there are people missing their 'old Queens', 'old Westchester' and (as I've read on the Florida boards) their 'old Florida'. This feeling of loss crosses many state lines.

As for memories: how many are softened in time, coarse edges don't seem as rough; sweet times all the more sweet.

Thats the beauty of this Country, we are free to move if we so choose. Everyone's relatives in some point in time was a transplant from somewhere. I agree with things changing, but people also need to change. I could have stayed on LI and tried to "capture" my youthful experiences, but it felt like a uphill battle. Right now NC is the "it" place. When we moved here it was not. I don't think it will be the "it" place forever. Plenty of other places were "it" a few years ago. We did not choose to stick around and bash LI and complain about things not changing. We took a chance to better our lives. We saw a opportunity and took it. We changed ourselves. If you can truly say you are happy, thats all that matters.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Thats the beauty of this Country, we are free to move if we so choose. Everyone's relatives in some point in time was a transplant from somewhere. I agree with things changing, but people also need to change. I could have stayed on LI and tried to "capture" my youthful experiences, but it felt like a uphill battle. Right now NC is the "it" place. When we moved here it was not. I don't think it will be the "it" place forever. Plenty of other places were "it" a few years ago. We did not choose to stick around and bash LI and complain about things not changing. We took a chance to better our lives. We saw a opportunity and took it. We changed ourselves. If you can truly say you are happy, thats all that matters.
I just want to make clear that I was by no means lambasting anyone who has left; I hope it didn't come off that way.

Yes, everyone and/or their relatives has been a transplant at some time or another.-- I agree.

I think we can both agree that one can never recapture one's youthful experiences; that goes along with change.

As for the 'it' places, what happens when they are no longer 'it'? When they've built up the infrastructure, built up the schools, closed the schools as enrollment drops and the population ages? It's happened here on LI and it will happen to the 'it' places, too. Once again, file it under change.

Am I happy here on LI? Yes. Can I afford it? Yes. Are we killing ourselves? No.

My thought is this, and it applies not only to the south, but the north: people leave LI/NY/NJ for greener pastures, less taxes, huge new homes. They raise the population in an area, and by virtue of the increased population and demand for services the taxes inevitably creep up. More and more people come in, things get more built up and congestion arrives. Newcomers tell old timers how things should be run. Old timers grow resentful, unable to pay for the newer expensive way, long for their 'old way' and leave for greener pastures, less taxes......etc.

When does it end? When there is no where left to run to?

Old time native Floridians are fleeing the state as newcomers (I use that term loosely -- some newcomers have been there a long time) have changed old Florida in ways that make it resemble their old home towns in NY, NJ, LI, etc.

Native Vermonters are increasingly more upset with flatlanders who come in and tell them how to run things, pave over their roads and run the real estate taxes up with their ski mansions and posh 2nd homes. The native Vermonter is just squeaking by. They are selling and moving to other rural areas as they watch their once rural communities become housing and yuppie playgrounds.

It's a sad state of affairs all over.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM

Very well put. Nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM

[quote=OhBeeHave;2741511]

My thought is this, and it applies not only to the south, but the north: people leave LI/NY/NJ for greener pastures, less taxes, huge new homes. They raise the population in an area, and by virtue of the increased population and demand for services the taxes inevitably creep up. More and more people come in, things get more built up and congestion arrives. Newcomers tell old timers how things should be run. Old timers grow resentful, unable to pay for the newer expensive way, long for their 'old way' and leave for greener pastures, less taxes......etc.

I have been here 5 years and my taxes have gone up 200.00 dollars which amounts to 40.00 each year I have lived here. I checked the taxes on my old home in LI to which I was paying 5200.00 5 years ago. Now the taxes are 8600.00 a difference of 3400.00 or 680.00 each year. Unless LI taxes never go up again I can see your point, but I think I will take my chances for now because as of right now the money is still in my pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island