Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

This past weekend, I made what may be my next-to final trip to Long Island. Even though I grew up there, and lived there for 31 years, I left in 1988 and moved upstate, which turns out to be the best decision I ever made! My 82-year old father has just sold the house that he bought for $13K in 1959. After spending many a recent weekend down there helping him rid almost 50 years of accumulation, we have finally finished that task, and he'll soon be moving to NJ.

While I gave LI the one-finger salute as I left in 1988, my parent's decision to remain on LI kept me visiting and revisiting. With each time back I became more disillusioned with "The Island". Yes, LI was once like the show 'The Wonder Years', especially when I grew up there with the other baby-boomers of WWII-generation parents. But things just never stay the same. That's called 'progress', I guess.

For dad, it's bittersweet. LI is where he met my mom, married, bought a house and raised four kids. While he was born and raised in Brooklyn, he's called Long Island his home, and has lived in that same house, since 1959. My mom, who passed away 2 years ago, was born in Mineola, and lived her whole life on Long Island. She is buried there in St. Charles cemetary. Sadly, all four of his children no longer reside on LI...some after leaving for college in the 70's and 80's, and never moving back. None of his grandchildren have made LI their home.

So, "close the book", "turn the page", or apply whatever eupherism you can think of, to explain the end of a typical 1960's Long Island family. Most likely, and hopefully not soon, I will be back one more time...but I know it won't be for a happy occasion.

Good-bye, Long Island. It was nice while it lasted.

Last edited by jfkIII; 10-04-2007 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:06 AM

19 posts, read 81,575 times
I will have to agree with Glad2BHere, I was born and raised on Long Island and left almost 22 years ago only because my spouse joined the military. He will soon be retiring from the military, but we don't have any plans to go back and live, I guess mainly because once you leave there especially Nassau County you realize wow my neighbor doesn't live so close to me. I actually have land between my house. But in my support to NY, out of all the places I've lived over the last 22 years, nobody comes close to the good shopping in NY. I like having everything I need close by. We live in Fayetteville, NC and I was bored with this town about 2 weeks after I got here (been here over 3 years now). If I want to go shopping or see something different besides boring Fayetteville, the closest thing that has any action is Raleigh and that is 70 miles away.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
This past weekend, I made what may be my next-to final trip to Long Island. Even though I grew up there, and lived there for 31 years, I left in 1988 and moved upstate, which turns out to be the best decision I ever made! My 82-year old father has just sold the house that he bought for $13K in 1959. After spending many a recent weekend down there helping him rid almost 50 years of accumulation, we have finally finished that task, and he'll soon be moving to NJ.

While I gave LI the one-finger salute as I left in 1988, my parent's decision to remain on LI kept me visiting and revisiting. With each time back I became more disillusioned with "The Island". Yes, LI was once like the show 'The Wonder Years', especially when I grew up there with the other baby-boomers of WWII-generation parents. But things just never stay the same. That's called 'progress', I guess.

For dad, it's bittersweet. LI is where he met my mom, married, bought a house and raised four kids. While he was born and raised in Brooklyn, he's called Long Island his home, and has lived in that same house, since 1959. My mom, who passed away 2 years ago, was born in Mineola, and lived her whole life on Long Island. She is buried there in St. Charles cemetary. Sadly, all four of his children no longer reside on LI...some after leaving for college in the 70's and 80's, and never moving back. None of his grandchildren have made LI their home.

So, "close the book", "turn the page", or apply whatever eupherism you can think of, to explain the end of a typical 1960's Long Island family. Most likely, and hopefully not soon, I will be back one more time...but I know it won't be for a happy occasion.

It's a rich mans Island now.

Levittown was 60 years ago, there are very few Middle Class enclaves left.

Today they ponder false prosperity and bury dreams with work.

I too wonder where the soul of Paumanok lies when money is its spirit?

Godspeed

C

Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
The thing is, this sort of 'degeneration' is not unique to Long Island.

You can find many cities and towns that are not the same anymore. Blame it on a thousand little things all adding up to 'change.'

Maybe it's the illegals, maybe it's the rising prices and low wages, maybe it's the rich not giving a darn about the working poor, maybe it's the Republican governments that want people to 'pull themselves up' by working 2 low paying jobs and cutting health care for kids...

Some people will always be happy on Long Island because they have money or a great job or they are fixated on living there (either they like it or can't part with their families or the NY attitude).

I've tried over and over to convince my parents there is life after Long Island. They blamed us for 7 years because we lived with them and 'they couldn't move'. Now we moved and they have another excuse, and continue to pay $10,000 in taxes. (at least I don't have to hear about it anymore).

My brother lives in Florida and is doing okay. We're up in New England trying to adapt (just moved a month ago). My sister and her family are down in Long Island swamped in debt. She is begging her husband to move upstate where his parents will help them out.

My brother in law works incredibly stupid hours and can't support his family.
He refuses to move because a million little reasons...
It's driving my sister nuts.

To move or not---it's a difficult decision...Some people can't or won't entertain it.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post

Same story for many of us that grew up during those years JFK. Looking back LI was only a middle class paradise for a short time, and knowing what we know now it couldn't do anything else but to change into what it now is, a victim of it's own successes.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Same story for many of us that grew up during those years JFK. Looking back LI was only a middle class paradise for a short time, and knowing what we know now it couldn't do anything else but to change into what it now is, a victim of it's own successes.
"a victim of it's own successes"
QOTD

I guess Levittown did fail after all.

Nicely put Clark

C

Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Here, here. Peace out, yo. Yes, LI a victim of its own success. This place is too crowded, no one wants to live here. This place isn't worth the money, people pay too much for houses here. Boy, I wish I lived in a place with nicer people, let me move to a place with acres of land and virtually no social interaction.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-05-2007 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: removed deleted quote

Old 10-05-2007, 12:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Here, here. Peace out, yo. Yes, LI a victim of its own success. This place is too crowded, no one wants to live here. This place isn't worth the money, people pay too much for houses here. Boy, I wish I lived in a place with nicer people, let me move to a place with acres of land and virtually no social interaction.
LI just has NOTHING to offer, that's why the prices are so high and no one can afford to live here. Yes, I want to live in the boonies, goodbye LI. I am sure it's nice there in the boonies....

Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 25,476 times
I hate this damn place. I want to move out so badly. Only 25, so i can pretty much pack my bags and leave whenever I want. Just need a nice, quiet place. With nice people, good bars(with good wings!), good looking women.... and a job

Any ideas? heh

Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelongisland View Post
I hate this damn place. I want to move out so badly. Only 25, so i can pretty much pack my bags and leave whenever I want. Just need a nice, quiet place. With nice people, good bars(with good wings!), good looking women.... and a job

Any ideas? heh

Um Buffalo?

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island