Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson View Post
I will charge at house.. I just recall seeing them around. The ones that are around are typically free
No - they are not free at all. Those that use them are simply receiving another form of welfare that is paid for by the shrinking number of those in society who produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:13 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Um, you would think with LIPA and our astronomical electrical rates here on LI, the rate of return on a plug-in hybrid would be a loss-leader.

You'll be amortizing this purchase beyond its useful life.... Good luck!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
I thought the incentives such as free charge stations are to promote people to switch to plug-in vehicles, to offset other savings it would realize to the government.

I don't know of all specifically, but I'd figure it's a way for the govt to say "thank you" for reducing our dependency on oil, lowering greenhouse gases and noise pollution, cleaner streets, blah blah blah.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I thought the incentives such as free charge stations are to promote people to switch to plug-in vehicles, to offset other savings it would realize to the government.

I don't know of all specifically, but I'd figure it's a way for the govt to say "thank you" for reducing our dependency on oil, lowering greenhouse gases and noise pollution, cleaner streets, blah blah blah.
Unless the electricity you are using in your car comes from some obsolete, coal/oil producing generator..

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
CUNY received a federal grant to install free charging stations on campus. They are trying to promote the green philosophy.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
CUNY received a federal grant to install free charging stations on campus. They are trying to promote the green philosophy.
Corrected:
"CUNY received money from the federal government which was obtained by either confiscating a portion of wages from those that work OR by borrowing it from the Communist Chinese for the installation of charging stations on campus....."

Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Unless the electricity you are using in your car comes from some obsolete, coal/oil producing generator..
Why, what's wrong with that? Large oil/gas/coal generators are much much much more efficient than your 2.5L inline 4.

Don't believe me? Try running your house on a personal gasoline powered generator and tell me how much your gasoline bill is at the end of the month.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
I think there might be one in Huntington station RR station but not sure ??

Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Why, what's wrong with that? Large oil/gas/coal generators are much much much more efficient than your 2.5L inline 4.

Don't believe me? Try running your house on a personal gasoline powered generator and tell me how much your gasoline bill is at the end of the month.
Many who consider the "electric" option are doing so because they think it is cleaner. If you live in a region with older coal generating plants or the grid feeding you (most of the north east) is getting electricity from these plants then you defeat the purpose. Note I did not mention Natural Gas....

I'll take my 2.5L inline 4 over some of the plants in this country with regards to pollution in to the air...

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 AM

112 posts, read 257,747 times
Quote:

I find it interesting that folks switching to electric vehicles require a billion dollar power plant to fuel up their car. While I'm not against hybrids I think that the best answer is a compromise somewhere in the middle.

Realistically you're not reducing greenhouse gasses, they're just being produced in a different location rather than from the exhaust pipe of your car. Remember a basic law of physics, energy can neither be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island