Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 24,153 times

Advertisements

Will relocating and updating a kitchen increase my property tax....im not adding any living space...just looking to relocate the kitchen to another part of the house....thanks

and how about closing up a wall to add another bedroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Ah, do you want the A or B answer? The A answer is: doing the work you are suggesting will require that you obtain permits and that is a source of info for the town. Now typically a kitchen remodel would not add to your taxes provided you are not increasing the footprint of your home.

The B answer is: you are not going to file permits to do this work, so the answer is no.

The A answer is simply to point out that to relocate the kitchen means plumbing and electric certifications and permits and then the flood gates inside your home "can" be opened when the inspectors arrive to review the work. You don't indicate which town but this seems to be the way of all the towns.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,287 times
Yup, nuts is right... anytime a building permit is involved, get ready to pay the assessor. It's wicked bad here on LI because anything you do that is deemed to be permanent or an addition adds to the assessment... concrete patios, pavers on concrete, jetted tubs, finished basements, decks with elevations greater than 1.5 feet... the list goes on.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM

11 posts, read 25,023 times
May I jump in and ask a question? Suppose an addition was added, permitted and has c/o. How long after completion of work will I wait before seeing an increase in tax. I checked mynassauproperty.com, and they have new pictures up including the addition, but sq footage of house remained same as before. And market value of house looks the same. What gives? FYI, addition was completed in May 2012.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM

It will happen in the next general tax billing cycle on Jan 1.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Why anyone gets a permit for indoor renovations is beyond me.

I wouldn't give them another nickle if I didn't have to.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Why anyone gets a permit for indoor renovations is beyond me.

I wouldn't give them another nickle if I didn't have to.

Unless you plan on living forever at some point your home will need to be sold. If those renos are something that necessitates a permit, as in this case, when your heirs go to sell the house they will have one mess to untangle and it will be costly for sure.

Case in point, I bought my house with central air. When I closed no one gave a hoot about it, not my title search people to my attorney or the sellers attorney, it never came up at all. The TNH was not looking for $$ at that point. Fast forward to last year when I wanted to put a a new fence. I was turned down because of an a/c that did not have a permit. I had to pay 4 x's the $50 permit fee, then apply for a variance, have an electrical underwriter inspect it and then had to replace the disconnect and a circuit breaker since they were not to todays code and then had to pay them again to see the work was done to issue the certificate. All in all it cost me $1100 all because they did not file as they should have. I understand that you are speaking about inside but if there are things that need a permit and you don't get one now, sooner or later you will end up paying dearly for your omission because at that point it has to be brought up to current code regardless of when it was put in.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
I agree with roc on this - even after having been thru the ringer with the building dept. - if you change around your kitchen or re-do a bath there is no need to tell the town, it is NEVER going to come up and what can they prove anyway? The layout of the interior of your home is not on file with them. We re-did our bath and made some changes and they never noticed.

Any accessory structure or change to the house footprint is a red flag. The only exception to this is a finished basement. Houses here weren't build finished, so they know if you did it they are going to make you get it up to code.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Unless you plan on living forever at some point your home will need to be sold. If those renos are something that necessitates a permit, as in this case, when your heirs go to sell the house they will have one mess to untangle and it will be costly for sure.

Case in point, I bought my house with central air. When I closed no one gave a hoot about it, not my title search people to my attorney or the sellers attorney, it never came up at all. The TNH was not looking for $$ at that point. Fast forward to last year when I wanted to put a a new fence. I was turned down because of an a/c that did not have a permit. I had to pay 4 x's the $50 permit fee, then apply for a variance, have an electrical underwriter inspect it and then had to replace the disconnect and a circuit breaker since they were not to todays code and then had to pay them again to see the work was done to issue the certificate. All in all it cost me $1100 all because they did not file as they should have. I understand that you are speaking about inside but if there are things that need a permit and you don't get one now, sooner or later you will end up paying dearly for your omission because at that point it has to be brought up to current code regardless of when it was put in.
1) you can do it to code without a permit. Codes are published, easy to abide by, and changes are generally known about.
2) you need to calculate the amount you save in taxes by not having the inevitable change in your assessment (and changes in current tax rates) which will occur if you improve your house and file for a permit versus any penalty you pay at the end when you sell and you need a c of o.

Its not a no-brainer than you'll end up "paying more in the end". It can come out either way.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
1) you can do it to code without a permit. Codes are published, easy to abide by, and changes are generally known about.
2) you need to calculate the amount you save in taxes by not having the inevitable change in your assessment (and changes in current tax rates) which will occur if you improve your house and file for a permit versus any penalty you pay at the end when you sell and you need a c of o.

Its not a no-brainer than you'll end up "paying more in the end". It can come out either way.

I know and fully understand that. The point was that what is done to code today may well not be the code when you want to sell you home. If there is any reason an inspector has to enter your home the potential is there for more trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: