Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Schools in Port Washington are very good and have been for a long time. That is also the best line on the entire LIRR going through Woodside rather than Jamaica. Plandome as well is beautiful. Sands Point. Should be able to find something meeting your specs in the area. I would not read too much into the replies in threads aside from using them as an initial starting point in your continued research. Any schools in that part of Nassau are pretty much homeruns (Roslyn Harbor, East Williston, East Hills, etc). Garden City is beautiful, and my following opinion is based on the fact that I do not live close by, but every time we visit friends and family in GC it feels a bit inconvenient to major parkways for my taste. Of course that lack of closeness to the LIE is certainly part of what makes it a stand out area. I just think that if you can spend up to 1.5 and look in other areas like Roslyn Harbor, Sands Point, etc, you won't be right up against some bad areas. No offense GCGUY...
None taken. Much of GC is actually pretty close to the GCP (right off Jericho) and the Meadowbrook (right by Roosevelt Field), but the Western sections are not close. My beef with PW is that the seciton by the train is not very good and those kids go to school with your kids. Otherwise, that whole area is nice. I also like GC for my own personal reasons that other people might not care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It's not that the surrounding areas of Glen Cove aren't nice (they are!) it's certain parts of Glen Cove that aren't so hot. It's a very, very big area though and the nicer sections are isolated from those not-so-nice. Looking quickly at Glen Cove and Sea Cliff on MLSLI it seems like there's some amazing stuff in your price range there. Sea Cliff is (IMHO) the best north shore community in Nassau.

According to these people on the internet the schools are awful but I couldn't tell you....I can tell you I have a lot of family that graduated from GCHS and they're all doing very well for themselves. Be wary of what you read about schools on these boards.
I think he meant Garden City..that's probably my fault since I always use GC.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior_72 View Post
Looking to move from the city to LI - with 2 small kids, we could use some space!

What we are looking for:

- Price approx $1.5M
- lot size approx 1/3 acre to 1 acre
- good public school system
- not too long a trip into Penn Station
- nice, peaceful kid-friendly community

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Also, what is too long of a commute for you? And what other things interest you (such as your religion, desire for racial/ethnic diversity or lack of)? Can you tell us a bit more about your wants and needs?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 17,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Also, what is too long of a commute for you? And what other things interest you (such as your religion, desire for racial/ethnic diversity or lack of)? Can you tell us a bit more about your wants and needs?
I think I would want to be no more than 45 minute train ride to Penn Station. (Although another option I can consider is switching from my company's Penn Station office to our Garden City office, which would lessen the importance of this and instead emphasize an easy drive (20min?) to Garden City, haven't thought about that too much yet.)

My wife is Asian, so I wouldn't want to be in a neighborhood where my kids were the only Asians in their class.

Have some family in Flushing and some family in Howard Beach, would prefer to be able to drive to either from my house in maybe 45 minutes or so.

Would like to be in a neighborhood where mose of the kids went to the public schools and were happy with them. I was thinking of Sands Point as an option, but I read some thread here that said many of the families living there send their kids to private school rather than use the PW school system, that turned me off.

A nice park, able to drive to a decent beach, a library that has some kids activities - I assume I can get these things in just about any of these locations (?)

Would like a tree-lined, quiet block, friendly neighbors...not sure what else to add!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior_72 View Post
I think I would want to be no more than 45 minute train ride to Penn Station. (Although another option I can consider is switching from my company's Penn Station office to our Garden City office, which would lessen the importance of this and instead emphasize an easy drive (20min?) to Garden City, haven't thought about that too much yet.)

My wife is Asian, so I wouldn't want to be in a neighborhood where my kids were the only Asians in their class.

Have some family in Flushing and some family in Howard Beach, would prefer to be able to drive to either from my house in maybe 45 minutes or so.

Would like to be in a neighborhood where mose of the kids went to the public schools and were happy with them. I was thinking of Sands Point as an option, but I read some thread here that said many of the families living there send their kids to private school rather than use the PW school system, that turned me off.

A nice park, able to drive to a decent beach, a library that has some kids activities - I assume I can get these things in just about any of these locations (?)

Would like a tree-lined, quiet block, friendly neighbors...not sure what else to add!
Ok hmmm, let me think. The main problem in your request is the acre. Those details help a lot more.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM

7 posts, read 17,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Ok hmmm, let me think. The main problem in your request is the acre. Those details help a lot more.
Doesn't need to be an acre, I'd be happy with something like 125 x 125 (but prefer not smaller).

Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I think he meant Garden City..that's probably my fault since I always use GC.
D'oh....my bad, I should have realized...thought I saw Glen Cove mentioned somewhere in this thread!

junior_72 - Here's my take on some places that popped into my head...

Great Neck Area - There's a lot of different hamlets/villages here. My personal favorite out of them is Kensington but all are nice. Train on the Port Washington line, good schools, large Asian population, not too far from Flushing at all... The larger properties are in Kings Point, but the larger houses there might be more than your price range. On these boards you'll notice that a lot of people find some residents of this area not so friendly and I think there's some truth to that, but it's certainly not everyone that lives there.

Hewlett Area - Hewlett Bay Park, Hewlett Neck, Hewlett Harbor & Woodsburgh. "Hewlett" itself is well below your price range. Train is 45 minutes or less, good schools, very close to Howard Beach. There is a very large Jewish presence in the entire Five Towns (as you probably know) but Hewlett/Woodmere is becoming more diverse, including Asians. My one knock on this area is that as nice as the homes are most look very stodgy and even a little dated. You might not feel the same way though.

Garden City - One of the few downright gorgeous neighborhoods in the middle of LI, and not very snobby in my experience. Train is 45 minutes, maybe a little more maybe a little less, also relatively close to both Howard Beach and Flushing. Good schools but not much other than white people, you can find a 125x125 property but it might not have the biggest house on it for that price.

Sands Point - I would investigate this further yourself and see what the situation is there with folks sending their kids to private schools, because Sands Point has probably some of the nicest housing for your criteria.

Good luck, hope this helps...let us know what happens!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM

76 posts, read 207,193 times
You can also look at western suffolk county-dix hill, melville...great schools, it may be a tad long to Penn

Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM

123 posts, read 647,238 times
Just to help you in your considerations, I wanted to say that Garden City has a number of Asian and Asian/White biracial families. Probably not as much as Great Neck, but I don't think your family would feel uncomfortable. Just my 2 cents. Overall, all I think a number of good options have been brought up, and it's just a matter of which feel fits you best. I was speaking to a woman the other day who lived in GC when she was single (apt), but when she and her husband looked to buy a house they just felt the houses and property were too small for them. They bought in East Norwich which shares schools w/OB. But I don't know whether her kids go to the public schools.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Great Neck/Roslyn has a growing Asian population. Great Neck schools are really excellent, and the commute is great. Roslyn isn't as good commute wise.

I'd avoid the 5T, and especially avoid anything in the Lawrence SD if you want to avoid district politics from hell.

Dix Hills/Melville isn't the best choice if your priority is commute. It's an hour to Penn, and you can be fairly far from the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island