Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 PM

7 posts, read 8,617 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if anyone here can give me any advice on this.

About a week ago a feral cat that has been in the neighborhood for years started staying in my backyard. After a few days of noticed it staying by my deck I was concerned at gave it some food and water (outside). Ever since then it will go on my steps and look for food so I give it more.

I am very concerned now that this was the wrong thing to do. I am very worried that other cat's will start coming, or other animals. I am carful to ensure that I get rid of any extra food at night though.

My question is, since I have already fed the cat for a week will it be bad for the cat if I stop feeding him/her. I am worried the cat will starve and am unsure why it was staying in my yard to begin with.

Has anyone ever gone through this or have any advice for me regarding this? I have contacted some TNR organizations but have not received any calls/emails back.

Thank's in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Stop feeding it if you dont want it to stay around.

Go to the city data pet forums and ask your question. Maybe they will know.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleSam View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if anyone here can give me any advice on this.

About a week ago a feral cat that has been in the neighborhood for years started staying in my backyard. After a few days of noticed it staying by my deck I was concerned at gave it some food and water (outside). Ever since then it will go on my steps and look for food so I give it more.

I am very concerned now that this was the wrong thing to do. I am very worried that other cat's will start coming, or other animals. I am carful to ensure that I get rid of any extra food at night though.

My question is, since I have already fed the cat for a week will it be bad for the cat if I stop feeding him/her. I am worried the cat will starve and am unsure why it was staying in my yard to begin with.

Has anyone ever gone through this or have any advice for me regarding this? I have contacted some TNR organizations but have not received any calls/emails back.

Thank's in advance
I constantly have strays coming through and making themselves cozy in the patches of sun on the lawn. They just do. No rhyme or reason. They take residence anywhere they feel like. Feral cats seem to survive well. Lots of people tend to feed strays and they rumage through garbage. The guy across the street from me feeds one of the strays. He seems to have taken a liking to the cat and vice versa. The cat, however, wants nothing to do with being inside the house. The cat sits there and waits. He only feeds this one particular cat and we never see any others waiting outside his door for food. It's hard to get rid of the cat now but if you really want it gone, you have to stop feeding it. If you don't mind feeding just the one, be sure to get rid of the can or plate as soon as it's done and don't leave food outside when you're not home. You can feed it around your schedule if you're ok with that. If you want them completely gone I suggest using a repellant. I use Bonide Shotgun Repells All granules. I just sprinkle it in the front, side and back of the house. It works rather well. A bit stinky at first but then it fades and you don't need to reapply very often.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
Of course we feel bad when we see a starving animal, and we want to feed it. But the result is it keeps coming back, and there's more and more of them, all starving and dependent on us. As horrible as this will sound, it's better to ignore the cat, or take it in if it lets you. It can and does happen. There are groups that catch and spay/neuter them and re-release them, but it's a slow process. It's difficult, I completely understand the desire to feed them, I've done it myself.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,701 times
Adopt the kitty. If it warms up to you, it will probably become your best friend. I've done this with feral cats in the past, it just takes a little time.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM

216 posts, read 446,011 times
DM sent. If you monitor the feeding and not leave food outside you won't be bothered by other cats. It will warm up to you the best it can and you could provide a nice home for it with an outdoor insulated shelter. Check the left ear for a tip or notch. If not it may not be spayed/neutered. Get it trapped then spay/neuter by a vet that works with ferals. Good Luck!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I can't stand cats so if I saw feral cat I certainly would not feed it.If it kept coming back then I would call an animal shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island