Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM

84 posts, read 492,746 times

Advertisements

Last November, we found a cat living in our yard. We felt bad for her and we started feeding her. Big mistake! She had 3 kittens (2 still living on our property) in May and recently added 2 more. They are relatively friendly, we have continued feeding them and the kids feel like they are our pets. I, on the other hand, feel like we are heading towards a big problem. I have done some research on getting them spay/neutered but I am a little overwhelmed. We would need to capture them in a trap to bring them in and even with a discount from one of the organizations, it will be costly. I also read that if we have someone come in to capture them, they will most likely put the cats down. Has anyone else dealt with this issue, and if so, can you point me in the direction of an organization that will be able to help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
In many areas, there are projects that capture and spay/neuter the cats on your property for very small fees. If you contact your local Humane Society, they should be able to point you to those organizations. Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Isn't North Shore Animal league a no kill shelter? They would seem a good source to get some leads for this.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Contact your local no-kill shelter and ask for their advice and assistance. Then write them a check.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
Trap and spay, that's what I did. Eventually the ferals passed on and the problem went away.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
There are a ton of places that spay/neuter cats for a very low price. If you bring in multiple cats, you may get a discount.

Island Rescue.
East Islip Animal Hospital

Try calling your local shelter and see if they have any other info on low cost places.

I'll send you a DM later --- have to get back to work now!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
If you are in one of the 5 boroughs, contact the ASPCA for info on TNR. Yes, you do have to capture them. Please, if you do this, do not capture and remove the mother cat if she is still nursing the kits, unless you also are able to capture the kittens. Within NYC, speutering is available at the ASPCA van and they will chip the animal at the same time. If they are feral, they do have to have basic shots.

Lots of help is available to you at the yahoo group "feral_cats". Contact your local Council for Animal Welfare or any volunteer at a PetSmart store for info on your local no-kill shelter. PLEASE do not use the wild-animal traps as they can severely injure/kill cats, especially kittens. There are people who rescue and tame feral cats, especially kittens. I recently rescued a 1 month old stray kitten and he is now 3.5 months and a totally tame indoor kitten. I got lots of help from the folks at the feral cat board on yahoo as well as advice from people in the pets section here.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM

87 posts, read 174,920 times
If your feeding them, they are now yours and your responsibility to fix them and stem the unchecked overpopulation of feral cats.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM

84 posts, read 492,746 times
Thank you for all your advice. I will check into your suggestions. I do realize that we created this by feeding the mother, but we don't mind caring for them, we just want to make sure they are taken care of so we don't have any more little kittens roaming around!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:25 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
Thank you for all your advice. I will check into your suggestions. I do realize that we created this by feeding the mother, but we don't mind caring for them, we just want to make sure they are taken care of so we don't have any more little kittens roaming around!
I had done this before as well and don't regret it even though the feral population can get out of control. There might still be an organization called the Paw House, and of course Kent Animal Shelter can also point you in the right direction. you can also never go wrong with the ASPCA. The pawhouse also deals with petco when the strays are able to be placed.

www.pawhouseonline.com

Last edited by Lancet71; 11-01-2010 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island