Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM

112 posts, read 218,454 times

Advertisements

Why do I keep hearing that , as of Monday , this gas supply crisis will be all over ? What is so special about Monday ? Are all the stations currently out of power expected to be up and running ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
Why do I keep hearing that , as of Monday , this gas supply crisis will be all over ? What is so special about Monday ? Are all the stations currently out of power expected to be up and running ?
It's just an estimate. Massive fuel shipments are being unloaded at distribution terminals now, plus by Monday a lot more areas will have power and hence more gas stations. I doubt things will be completely back to normal Monday but things will almost certainly be better than the last few days.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I thought I read that the tankers won't dock till Monday and were looking till like weds to get back to some gas stations being filled up.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That will differ from person to person. I like to be very very prepared as I hate to rely on others for anything.

This might help:
Tips on emergency fuel storage.

Week 21 of 52: Emergency Fuel Supply | Ready Nutrition
So how much gas would YOU have?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
What I cant understand is why the electric power produced by a portable generator can not be used to power a gas pump. Why does the power have to come in from the power lines. I thought electricity was the same regardless of what makes it...guess not

Old 11-03-2012, 03:20 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
considering the cost of a generator and proper installation without back feeding it which is not legal it just may not be cost effective.

if there are few fuel deliveries to replensh them once they sell out then they are better off closed in their minds.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
So how much gas would YOU have?
I have all gas tanks pretty close to full....the car, the van, tractor, generator, 4-wheeler, and chainsaws. In the summer I will also have the lawnmowers, blower and weed whacker. Back up fuel is a rotation of anywhere between 25-50 gallons. We are using some of the older gas now. I haven't been to a gas station in over a month. Time to restock soon

I also have a propane refrigerator and a solar electric house....so I am very different and think very differently than most.

Good luck to you. Things will slowly get back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
considering the cost of a generator and proper installation without back feeding it which is not legal it just may not be cost effective.

if there are few fuel deliveries to replensh them once they sell out then they are better off closed in their minds.
They just need a transfer switch. It's not that big of a job unless you have a rip off contractor.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 AM

wrong.

gas stations require special hazardous location equipment many times thats very expensive. .they need a transfer switch and most likely a sub panel.

but depending on local codes but it may have to be special stuff.

it must be done by a licenced electrician or face huge liability in the event a malfunction causes injury... but try getting someone now to do it.

courts have stood their ground in the liability for injury rest first with the licensed electrician , then the store owner.

when unlicensed it rests on the homeowner or store owner first.

playing around with gasoline vapors and electricity are a recipe for disaster unless you know what your doing and use the right equipment..

Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they need a transfer switch and most likely a sub panel. typical install can be 4500 or more and must be done by a licenced electrician or face huge liability in the event a malfunction causes injury... but try getting someone now to do it.

courts have stood their ground in the liability for injury rest first with the licensed electrician , then the store owner.

when unlicensed it rests on the homeowner or store owner first,
Definitely. In NY you better do it by the books. In most cases it wouldn't be worth it. It would be more cost effective to have a portable generator(not inside the house) for emergencies.

We had one in FL and in NC and it didn't cost anywhere near that much, then again my DH can do all the work. It would be insane in NY right now.

And to put our trust in the licensed contractors, lol. They mess up a lot.

Most people couldn't do that job themselves anyway. They will find out the costs and the rules when they get estimates.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:55 AM

florida has towns with laws like this"

Gas stations
The City Commission passed Ordinance: 2006-248 requiring gas stations to have generators to pump gas when the electricity is out. Here is an excerpt of Ordinance: 2006-248.

“Gasoline stations that sell gasoline at retail to consumers from gas pumps at their stations, within the City, shall have as a minimum alternate energy source, a generator connection/hookup that is capable of providing electrical service during an interruption of the normal electrical supply, sufficient to power the gasoline pumps so that gasoline can be sold to the consumer…”

as you see the typical generator used by a home owner cannot be used in hazardous locations. these generators if required by local codes have to rated for it they are very very expensive.

http://www.marathonelectric.com/docs...ationsRev5.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island