Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 PM

44 posts, read 206,099 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to Nassau, but don't really know where to begin looking. Price range $450K. Taxes? $8K. Is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,678,741 times
Um......Suffolk

C

Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo18 View Post
We're considering moving to Nassau, but don't really know where to begin looking. Price range $450K. Taxes? $8K. Is this possible?
What else do you need/want? Tell us more.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,833 times
Quote:
Sure, what type of area, house, commute, etc. My friend is looking in Levittown, tons of houses in the low 400s, taxes around 8-9K. Nice little capes, many expanded. Solid, middle class area, good schools. There also a lot of the South Shore...places like Wantagh, maybe Bellemore, Seaford, parts of Massapequa.

More details would help.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 PM

wow u guys are quick.
What other info do you need.

Of course we all want good schools districts, but they come with a price tag. Presently no children, but...possible in the near future.
Currently I commute from Suffolk, but it's getting to be too long a drive into Brooklyn. LIRR ride is also too long. Too many transfers.

I don't plan on leaving my job either. It's a great job.!
Everyone is saying the taxes in Nassau are too high and that the neighborhoods are changing for the worse, but which is the lesser of two evils?
spending hours in traffic trying to get home or paying a little more in prop.
taxes and less on gas? (quality time)

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Well we would like a nice neighborhood.
At least 3 bedrooms, garage, basement.
we have an 80 x 100 now, but i know we won't find that in Nassau
in our price range.
Type of house (colonial, ranch, etc.) not too picky.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,833 times
Quote:
wow u guys are quick.
What other info do you need.

Of course we all want good schools districts, but they come with a price tag. Presently no children, but...possible in the near future.
Currently I commute from Suffolk, but it's getting to be too long a drive into Brooklyn. LIRR ride is also too long. Too many transfers.

I don't plan on leaving my job either. It's a great job.!
Everyone is saying the taxes in Nassau are too high and that the neighborhoods are changing for the worse, but which is the lesser of two evils?
spending hours in traffic trying to get home or paying a little more in prop.
taxes and less on gas? (quality time)
I go for the area, etc. A big house on acres is cool, but it's not the end all be all for me. I chose GC for that reason. Anyway, I think the list if mentioned is a good place to start. Check out MLSLI.com...all good areas with good schools with prices and taxes to fit you. I would love to hear what you think after you take a look...I would go for a drive one weekend and check it out.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 PM

259 posts, read 939,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo18
Quote:
By GCGuy Sure, what type of area, house, commute, etc. My friend is looking in Levittown, tons of houses in the low 400s, taxes around 8-9K. Nice little capes, many expanded. Solid, middle class area, good schools. There also a lot of the South Shore...places like Wantagh, maybe Bellemore, Seaford, parts of Massapequa.
Move to Bethpage!!!
And ya know; if you are persistant enough you can find a nice house in your price range on New Hyde Park Rd or upper Clinton Road in Garden City and be in the Garden City school district that is if you can put up with lots of traffic and putrid fumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dee62; 10-23-2007 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
You can find somes homes in Massapequa and Massapequa Park in that price an tax range. If you look into Massapequa Park, I would suggest the Massapequa SD portion. Schools are a bit better and school taxes are a bit cheaper as well. For example a home worth $450,000 in the Massapequa SD would pay a little over $4,800 with the basic star reduction this year in school taxes, however a home in some cases a couple houses down that is in the Farmingdale SD worth the same amount of $$ ($450,000) would be paying just under $6,000 with the basic star reuction in school taxes

Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Quote:
Well we would like a nice neighborhood.
At least 3 bedrooms, garage, basement.
we have an 80 x 100 now, but i know we won't find that in Nassau
in our price range.
Type of house (colonial, ranch, etc.) not too picky.
You can find exactly what you're looking for in virtually any south shore neighborhood. Nassau is not changing for the worse, the only difference is that it's not exclusively 100% white anymore....but the people who are coming in are from the same working class/middle class background as the rest of us regardless of what they look like.

Needing a basement pretty much rules out Levittown, I would start off looking in Bellmore, think it's one of the best values there is. Cheap taxes, great schools, nice houses...keep your eye out for OLDER houses, the taxes are always a lot cheaper, and property tends to be larger - there are tons of 80x100 in Nassau that are well within your price range. Most homes are 60x100 which isn't too far off. Bellmore is my pick but again, you can find something anywhere, all the other towns mentioned are good too.

Where are you commuting to in Brooklyn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island