Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM

200 posts, read 379,987 times

Advertisements

I haven't received my LIPA or Nat Grid bill yet and I usually do by this time of the month. Figuring they are scared to death of sending the bills out this month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Your bill should be based on your usage. You will nor be billed if you didn't use/have power. If it is an estimated bill, then pay them a partial amount.

Go read your meter and subtract last months end reading from the reading you get now. Multiply that by your KWH price, add in standard fees and any taxes. That should be your actual usage bill....or at least pretty close.

Excellent response. I love all the people saying they're not paying their LIPA bill. Usage is usage, if you used it, you have to pay for it.

If I had no power for 12 of 30 days on my bill, and I used 223 kwh in those 18 days I DID have power, I have to pay for it. For the 12 days without power my usage is 0 Kwh, plain and simple, and the proof is the meter.

The only thing you can (and should) argue is the basic service charge (calculated per day.) for the days you didnt have service. Anything over 24 hrs of an interruption, you are entitled to a credit.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Brewster View Post
Well...it was tongue in cheek...but

Utilities wouldn't report to the bureaus. In fact, since LIPA is a state agency, they would probably recoup their funds via state income tax.

They need access to turn off power. Don't grant it. Hell...ya need power for them to turn it off.

All they have to do is pull the meter. No power needed, or access required if you meter is outside, and most are.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 AM

126 posts, read 227,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
All they have to do is pull the meter. No power needed, or access required if you meter is outside, and most are.
My yard is locked. They read the meter from next yard over. They'd have to cut me from the pole. Clearly they have a surplus of linemen to do that.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
My yard is locked. They read the meter from next yard over. They'd have to cut me from the pole. Clearly they have a surplus of linemen to do that.
Better hope they don't see your posts on here. They might make a special work order in your case ...

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
No, they have strategicly placed trees

Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM

126 posts, read 227,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Better hope they don't see your posts on here. They might make a special work order in your case ...
Does this site work in COBOL?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren34 View Post
I got my bill too. It was estimated and about twice as high as it should be considering I did not have power for 12 days. I guess I will pay it and see what next month's "actual reading" bill will be.
my bill due on 11/15 (received during the storm outage) was for the month prior. It clearly states on the back 10/18/12 ESTIMATED reading (along with 9/17 actual reading). It was done PRIOR to the storm and you should be paying it as normal. If it took nearly a month to receive it (during the storm), I gather most are in the same boat with a mid-October reading/estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

With all due respect......are you for real???? After what we have been through you are going to pay them more than you think is correct????? Call 800-490-0075 and ask for an explanation. I called that number so many times that I have it memorized!!!!
Of course they have to wait for next month... that's when the usage applies to the storm period. In my case, the actual reading will be done 11/16-ish (already past) and if it's not adjusted properly, I raise hell on the next bill (to be received 12/5-ish).

Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
Got my LIPA bill on tuesday, another estimated bill. Guess they did not have the nerve to send out a reader on Nov 9th my regular read day. I still did not get my gas bill, I would be happy to pay that one as my gas service worked thru the entire event and kept my natural gas powered generator runing for 2 days till LIPA power returned.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
i goy my bill, it was $159 over actual reading/usage. they sent me an adjusted bill after a minor hissy fit I threw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island