Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
So you think merging into the left lane of the above highways at 55 MPH is safe? If you do, you aren't payin attention.
It is if no one is driving in the left lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 PM

339 posts, read 933,741 times
I work in an emergency department and most of the accidents I see the paperwork for are people being rear ended. Sure, you got the occasional rollover or really bad accident, but the majority are minor fender benders.

Also for what it's worth, seems like there's a higher number of accidents when the road conditions are fine.

My two cents is that I think people are always in a rush and every other driver on the road be damned.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I just hope you do it to the wrong person and you die long before you can ever do it to me.
With all due sincerity, I hope that you have at least one person in your life who loves you enough to help you obtain the professional help that you need.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM

89 posts, read 204,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitmanGuy83 View Post
Hey all.

Born and raised on LI, but currently live out of state. Learned to drive in western Nassau, and fairly familiar with the LI driving paradigm, or at least I thought I was. I'm here for Thanksgiving after being away for a couple of months and the degradation of road safety is shocking. In all my years of driving on LI and most of the rest of the country, I could have never imagined much less have seen such awful and dangerous driving as I have in the last 48 hrs. I've seen people passing stopped cars at traffic lights, driving opposite of one-ways, at least a dozen blatantly blown red lights, and aggression at a whole new level. Even seen an 80 yo woman nearly mowed down in a crosswalk by someone passing a yielding car at 2x the speed limit on the shoulder. In almost all cases, the drivers are 20 something females. It wasn't anywhere near this bad the last time I was here. The cops just sit and watch to boot. I realize tensions are high with Sandy, but I'm not sure that explains it. What happened? It's become a truly life threatening experience to drive anywhere here anymore. Less than zero courtesy, and those that do try to be courteous are instantly and brutally punished. It's like driving in Taipei out here, but instead of motorcycles its wall to wall BMWs and Hyundais. Have traffic laws been suspended or something?

I agree with you. The driving over here is crazy. Too much texting and being on the phone and not paying enough attention on the road.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
I agree with you. The driving over here is crazy. Too much texting and being on the phone and not paying enough attention on the road.
everyone is angry and in a rush to get nowhere.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Am I the only one who feels that the aggressive driving gets worse over the holidays? People seem so high strung.

Today, as I made a right turn onto the Meadowbrook Parkway from Old Country Road, this idiot makes a left turn onto the ramp and then tries to pass me-- nearly side swiping me in the process! The only reason we didn't collide is that I did a hard swerve to the right. The moron then speeds up again to get ahead of me and gives me a dirty look

I thought it was common sense that left turning traffic must yield...?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Maybe people that are not intelligent enough to understand the difference between the words RACIST and PREJUDICE should not be given licenses either.
Stereotyping people by ethnicity is being racist and prejudice. Key word being "AND". Being prejudice is being a racist.

Stereotyping a gender is being sexist.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Stereotyping people by ethnicity is being racist and prejudice. Key word being "AND". Being prejudice is being a racist.
The lack of intelligence in your comments above is rather embarrassing. Let me attempt to educate you a little as the institutions which you have relied on to do so have clearly failed you.

Prejudice = preconceived judgments (usually negative) toward a person/group because of their gender, social class, age, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, nationality or other personal characteristics

Racism = the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race which in turn help to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race

Stereotype = making generalizations about the "typical" characteristics of members of a particular group

Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
everyone is angry and in a rush to get nowhere.
They got to make it back to there cells for headcount.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post

Stereotyping a gender is being sexist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
The lack of intelligence in your comments above is rather embarrassing. Let me attempt to educate you a little as the institutions which you have relied on to do so have clearly failed you.

Prejudice = preconceived judgments (usually negative) toward a person/group because of their gender, social class, age, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, nationality or other personal characteristics

Racism = the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race which in turn help to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race

Stereotype = making generalizations about the "typical" characteristics of members of a particular group
Call it what you want, those posts were insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island