Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM

520 posts, read 1,654,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Let me know when that is so I can join in :-)

Sorry, following traffic laws is safe. Don't know how you can say otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
So you think merging into the left lane of the above highways at 55 MPH is safe? If you do, you aren't payin attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
So you think merging into the left lane of the above highways at 55 MPH is safe? If you do, you aren't payin attention.
So you think going over 55 is safe?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I just hope you do it to the wrong person and you die long before you can ever do it to me.
Stay classy, my man.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are you the new Gpsma?
No - I'm not (although I have read some of GPSMA's posts regarding driving and do get a laugh out of them).

Actually, I'm a convert of sorts. I once did a lot of highway driving as part of my job and used to be the ride-on-your-tail, lane changing, disrespectful asp-wipe that you see fairly regularly on the parkways/LIE. After my first child my perspective changed and I began to appreciate the degree to which my driving style could adversely affect not only my family but other people on the road. SO - instead of being the 75+ MPH lane changing nut I was - I became a simple 60 MPH guy on the highways and go out of my way to stay close to the speed limit, obey traffic signals and stop signs on the side roads.

My original point was to comment on the enjoyment I get from fellow drivers (mostly on the side roads) who become INFURIATED at me when I make a full stop at a stop sign - stop for a yellow light - stop before making a right on red - or do the speed limit on RT 25A.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Stay classy, my man.

I drive around with my family. I don't need someone like that on the same roads as me.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I drive around with my family. I don't need someone like that on the same roads as me.
I'm sure glad your family has such a role model who tells people to die so they don't inconvenience them. :thumbup:

Your little family isn't the only one on the road. Why risk someone else's family just because they are driving 5-10mph slower than you.

I highly doubt your life is so important that getting somewhere 5 whole minutes later is actually an issue.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM

First off, people who go out of there way to put other innocent people in danger for there own amusement is worthy of death. If someone says they drive slowly for their own amusement is a sick person who shouldn't be driving. And if he looking at the reactions of the people behind him he is more dangerous than a speeding car. Eyes on the road!!

Secondly, you're 100% right. My family isn't the only car on the road. We are also not the only car that goes 65 in the left lane. We go with the flow of traffic. I don't change lanes like a nut and only tailgate a little, but only when I am driving alone. I don't drive around like I'm the most important person. I go with the flow of traffic and because I am usually in the left lane it is 99% of the ime above 55. Going with the flow is the best and safest bet. If you want to go 55 stay in the right lane or maybe the middle.

I'm not talking abor stopping at signs or red lights. Just speeding.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM

126 posts, read 227,462 times
Quote:
First off, people who go out of there way to put other innocent people in danger for there own amusement is worthy of death. If someone says they drive slowly for their own amusement is a sick person who shouldn't be driving. And if he looking at the reactions of the people behind him he is more dangerous than a speeding car. Eyes on the road!!

Secondly, you're 100% right. My family isn't the only car on the road. We are also not the only car that goes 65 in the left lane. We go with the flow of traffic. I don't change lanes like a nut and only tailgate a little, but only when I am driving alone. I don't drive around like I'm the most important person. I go with the flow of traffic and because I am usually in the left lane it is 99% of the ime above 55. Going with the flow is the best and safest bet. If you want to go 55 stay in the right lane or maybe the middle.

I'm not talking abor stopping at signs or red lights. Just speeding.

Please deduct 10 rep points from yourself.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
If someone says they drive slowly for their own amusement is a sick person who shouldn't be driving.
Please. Spare me this terrible argument.

You are equating someone going 55mph in a 55mph zone and someone going 15mph in a 55mph zone.

The difference between 65 and 55 are really not that much.

Also, that whole "I'm not the only one doing it" just shows how stupid this is. You aren't confident enough in your driving that you can't say to yourself "Hey, I don't really need to go faster than 55mph. All these other idiots are the ones breaking the law, I don't need a ticket."

Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 PM

You obviously don't drive on highways too frequently. If I'm going 65-70 MPH in the left lane and someone cuts in going 55 MPH and doesn't accelerate it is very dangerous. I drive a lot due to my job and have had this happen to me. Whether or not 10 MPH sounds like a lot doesn't matter. When driving 10 MPH makes a huge difference.

This also has nothing to do with getting a ticket or cconfidence in driving. Simply when was the last time someone got a ticket for going 65 MPH? It doesn't happen because it is a commonly accepted practice by everyone. Including the police. They could pull over 90% of Long Island if they wanted to. If you don't want to or arent comfortable going above 55 MPH stay in the right lane. Simple as that.

I can't believe this is still being discussed. This isn't a new concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island