Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,742,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Ethnicity does not imply race. One can be prejudiced without being racist.

If an Irishman has issues with Italians, calls them derogatory names, stereotypes them, etc. -- is that racism or prejudice?

A person can be prejudiced and not be a racist.
They are really the same thing. If you have a preconceived notion about the ethnic background of a person thats being prejudiced (and everyone does it), it feeds racism when you use the negative preconceptions to lump all people of that ethnic background together. They go hand in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM

573 posts, read 1,245,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbyinches View Post
driving on the GCP this morning doing about 90 mph when out of nowhere an grey audi and a yellow mustang pass me doing about 120 mph. no cops in sight, what a rush !
lol, I think I saw you, what time?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 AM

200 posts, read 380,605 times
SSP this morning, eastbound. Near Wantagh Pkwy. Traffic slowed, so did I but didn't have to brake yet. Noticed a jeep right up my butt. I finally had to brake as traffic came to dead stop. He was so close to me, he had to slam his brakes on, missed me but apparently the guy behind him was tailgating as well and slammed into him.

As I pulled away with traffic, I saw the guy behind me get out in the middle of the parkway , screaming his head off at the guy behind him.

That's what you getting for tailgating and not paying attention to ALL of the traffic and not just the person's brake lights right in front of you.

And I agree with everyone, I'm middle aged and I hate to sound like my parents but the drivers today (around here) are out of control.

Last edited by Cosmosandmind; 11-26-2012 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,788,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
They are really the same thing. If you have a preconceived notion about the ethnic background of a person thats being prejudiced (and everyone does it), it feeds racism when you use the negative preconceptions to lump all people of that ethnic background together. They go hand in hand.
How do you figure it is the same thing or go hand in hand? You can be prejudiced toward one group and not be racist toward another. Lumping people of a certain ethnicity together by a terrible stereotype is not feeding racism.

Ethnicity is not the same as race; although some confuse the two, for example: Hispanic is an ethnicity and not a race; the Third Reich's misconception of a German race.

With respect to the topic at hand, we have no way of knowing what ethnicity the other drivers are (unless they have a flag or other national icon on their vehicle.) Chances are, the insulting remarks offered on this thread are racist, sexist, ageist.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,742,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How do you figure it is the same thing or go hand in hand? You can be prejudiced toward one group and not be racist toward another. Lumping people of a certain ethnicity together by a terrible stereotype is not feeding racism.

Ethnicity is not the same as race; although some confuse the two, for example: Hispanic is an ethnicity and not a race; the Third Reich's misconception of a German race.

With respect to the topic at hand, we have no way of knowing what ethnicity the other drivers are (unless they have a flag or other national icon on their vehicle.) Chances are, the insulting remarks offered on this thread are racist, sexist, ageist.
Sure it is. If I say all purple people are horrible drivers, I am stereotyping and making a prejudical comment. Is it racist, probably so, because if you said that to purple people, they'd be offended and believe you hate them because of their ethnic background.

Technically there is only one race we all belong to... and that is HUMAN.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,788,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Sure it is. If I say all purple people are horrible drivers, I am stereotyping and making a prejudical comment. Is it racist, probably so, because if you said that to purple people, they'd be offended and believe you hate them because of their ethnic background.

Technically there is only one race we all belong to... and that is HUMAN.

Racism vs. Prejudice: There is a difference « Seeking Liberty

Quote:
Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. That has to be taught, or developed as a cultural ideology...
...Prejudice is different. Prejudice is the pre-judging of a situation or person based upon less than all the facts. Prejudice is a survival mechanism. It developed to keep us safe: If you see a lion charging at you, you will automatically assume it is going to eat you.
Prejudice can be either positive or negative. In the article cited above; the writer goes on to discuss what his perception would be of someone dressed as a gangsta thug vs. one dressed in less menacing attire.

Go back to my earlier post and read the definition of prejudice. Better still, look at definition #2:
Quote:
any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
Prejudice can be favorable or unfavorable.

Can the same be said for racism?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,741,085 times
I haven't read every post on here, but it's clear that Long Island must now be the most racist and segregated part of the country, far exceeding the Deep South. As a lifelong Long Islander (try saying that three times) I cannot say that ethnicity plays much of a role in traffic violations. I attribute it to cell phones and that Long Islanders have gotten exceeding boorish and rude in recent years. The wealthy white folks, in their black Range Rovers and Escalades, seem to have the biggest sense of entitlement and are among the worst. Nevertheless, the racists out here seem to find a reason to attribute all of our problems to illegal immigrants or African-Americans. Of course, none of those groups run our worst-performing institutions, such as the LIRR, LIPA and the police departments, and most do not have any connection to our fleecing at the hands of corrupt politicians or overspending school districts.

I often chuckle when I see signs for "evacuation routes" around Long Island. If Long Islanders ever had to leave here in a serious crisis, they would kill one another trying to be first in crossing the bridges or going through the tunnels. It would be safer to stay and endure whatever danger was coming.

I also believe that our vastly overpaid police actually believe they deserve the salaries and benefits that they get. As a result, they feel they are too important to do the routine patrolling of yore. It is hard to find much of a police presence around Long Island and the aggressive drivers and other violators know this. It has made our roads into the Wild West, while you can find most patrol cars at vacant parking lots, donut shops or at the various police booths around the Island. I read one good comment where a poster said that for a speeder to get caught on Long Island, he'd have to race through the local fire department parking lot (where the cops gather to gab instead of patrolling, as they are paid to do).

Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM

414 posts, read 810,214 times
I was off LI for one week over the summer, and when I got back onto LI, it was amazing the night and day difference with the drivers here. Truly the worst in the world are here in our backyard. Only here are turn signals now warnings to other cars to speed up and not let you in. I truly love the way no one seems to know how to make a u-turn anymore. You miss a turn, and instead of the u-turn, you cross over 2-3 lanes of traffic and almost kill 10 people to make that last second turn. Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-27-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,894,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
I was off LI for one week over the summer, and when I got back onto LI, it was amazing the night and day difference with the drivers here. Truly the worst in the world are here in our backyard. Only here are turn signals now warnings to other cars to speed up and not let you in. I truly love the way no one seems to know how to make a u-turn anymore. You miss a turn, and instead of the u-turn, you cross over 2-3 lanes of traffic and almost kill 10 people to make that last second turn.
Try driving along the stretch of Northern Blvd. from Flushing to Bayside and you get a lot of these moronic types of drivers.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-27-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,007,829 times
Wahhh. If you can't handle it, stay off the sidewalk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island