Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ALL of LI is nice- not just east end...

All meaning LI as a whole... Cuz I know we have some bad 'hoods but LI as a whole is nice
Um know the east is nice (as of now) the west is a cesspool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
When's the last time you were out east? Riverhead has become a haven for malls, strip malls, fast food joints and car dealers. Rt. 25 is bumper to bumper during rush hour and on weekends.

Yes, there's still open space and beautiful countryside, however, there's less and less of it each year. It's only a matter of time before the suburban sprawl takes care of that. Cynical, I know, but I'm watching my town to crap before my eyes, as our property taxes surge upward.

LI... nice...
It's amazing and agree 100% - for me the beginning of the end was when Sunrise Hwy became "express". Not sure how long ago that was, but it was around that time. The East end got more access for the serious sprawl. It brought that much more traffic into the bottleneck that Riverhead is up 51... 15 years ago I worked in Mattituck doing the reverse commute and loved it... but I could see Riverhead changing for the worse starting back then - all that development creeping out along the north road - farm after farm disappearing... the box stores and chains mentioned... it was reloville USA before reloville USA became big. Worse... Reloville USA with bad schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ALL of LI is nice- not just east end...

All meaning LI as a whole... Cuz I know we have some bad 'hoods but LI as a whole is nice
When/if you finally settle down and have kids... maybe it's too late for you already, not sure... but if you do, you will see things very differently. Raising a family changes your priorities. The future for children is not tomorrow, next week, or next month... 10 years from now with a kid going into high school - wanna bet on what you think of this statement then?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Nasty, rude, and uncalled for. I never quoted or replied or contradicted any of your posts on this thread. Please remember the TOS regarding no personal attacks!

Getting back to the OP who has not replied in a while. The OP, I am pretty sure, is coming from a somewhat similar situation, where farmland is being developed into big box store commercial areas. I am sure that old timers in his area feel the same way that we do.

Jdawg must be a women you know they live to shop.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,271 times
Quote:
Nasty, rude, and uncalled for. I never quoted or replied or contradicted any of your posts on this thread. Please remember the TOS regarding no personal attacks!

Getting back to the OP who has not replied in a while. The OP, I am pretty sure, is coming from a somewhat similar situation, where farmland is being developed into big box store commercial areas. I am sure that old timers in his area feel the same way that we do.
Nope! I can still get on a country road and drive for a good long hour without hitting a town. Here in Manhattan Kansas we actually welcome development because it brings in jobs and its not like we are going to be running out of space anytime soon.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
Nope! I can still get on a country road and drive for a good long hour without hitting a town. Here in Manhattan Kansas we actually welcome development because it brings in jobs and its not like we are going to be running out of space anytime soon.

2032 fortunately i plan to be long gone.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
Quote:
Aww but tornados are the best, it gives us all the chance to be dumb butts and walk out into the yard and try to spot it. You know, instead of hiding in our storm shelters like smart people do.

It is nice to hear that there actually is some farm land.

Actually that’s something I was going to ask too. What is a good living wage out there? That is for the single male with a master’s degree that plans on renting? Some of the things I have looked up like $5 bottles of milk and $350,000 small homes with $1,000 taxes kinda freak me out! At first I thought I would probably ask for something like $40,000 on salary but I don’t think that’s going to be enough to live.

Also since it was brought up how damaged is the area do to the hurricane?

You went to college you say, you apparently got a masters degree i am guessing here within Forestry, Horticulture or Arborist studies . . . . . . AND!!! You want to come to a dead end island of sand that WILL RAPE you of what you now know is life and make you a slave to $$ just so you can now know and UNDERSTAND surviving....

What exactly happens to people when they go to college now, does the main study do that much damage to the rest of the mind to think clearly...

If you do not know poverty, you are going to if you come here.

I can't see forestry doing well at all here, growing grass for sod farms is about what most of riverhead has that makes there farming....

Most of us want off this taxing the hell out of your business and life island, and now some people have been schooled on what living near the water REALLY means, and that a simple storm with a new moon and full moon can ruin EVERYTHING in your life in minutes.

People might have learned, but i bet they haven't.

Now you're from Kansas where you can live and have some fun, so if you like recreational off-road stuff... BUZZZZZZ NOT happening in this STATE, let alone this island.
If you like recreational riding.... BUZZZZZZZ NOT happening STATE wide...
If you like guns and shooting... you'll have new rules and or depending you WON"T be doing any of that either.
If you like motorsports other than a small 1/4 oval that doesn't enforce rules correctly.... BUZZZZZZZ you aren't having any of that either....
If you like walking with your Dog thru any few acres of area....... BUZZZZZZZZ AIN'T happening, no walking with your dog anywhere fun
If you like riding a bike thru trails........ BUZZZZZZZZZ AIN'T happening....

If you like having FUN...... BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ AIN'T happening

If you like breathing...... BUZZZZZZZ they're working on that right now....

If you like to be told how to live and like losing your freedom and rights.....oh wait thats gonna happen everywhere soon (except maybe Texas), if you like paying higher taxes for nothing better.... Than welcome to this island that desperately needs a category 6

Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Ah, got it. While visiting my friends in Lawrence, who were originally from New York (and they love Kansas), there were some objections to some commericial development in the area and concerns about suburban sprawl. I gather that much of the employment in that area is dependent on the university and the medical center. And isn't Hallmark HQ located in Lawrence too? While I think, Kansas State is in your neck of the woods but smaller than the U of K.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
Quote:
I happen to think that the eastern part of Suffolk County is quite lovely. There is a lot of natural beauty. There is a lot to explore, including some off-shore islands. Wipe out any visions that you have of Manhattan from TV shows because it does not look like that at all. It is not wall to wall people. It is absolutely not a concrete jungle or urban, but it's sort of a funny type of suburban and rural mix. Before WWII, it was very rural and agricultural, even in the 50s and 60s. The negatives that are being described here are basically the negatives of NYC and its spillover to the closer part of Long Island. Riverhead is rather far from Manhattan, too far for the majority of the residents to commute daily to the city for work. The northfork and the southfork have a great deal of charm, some quaint towns, a lot of early American history, and quite a large year round artist and craftsman community inspired by the landscape. There are some run down sections, but it's not pervasive. Parts of it feel more like New England. Some people have strong ties to the city and have a city style approach and therefore a more curt manner and there are others that are more laid back.

Traffic can be horrendous during the summer as Riverhead leads to the summer resort areas. Prices for some things, such as services, can also rise during the summer months, as some people take advantage of the increase in demand due to the increase of the population during the warmer weather months. Perhaps, not so much in Riverhead but on the North and South Forks.

The BIG problem is going to be financial. Before asking for a higher salary, please do some research and find out what comparable positions in the area are paying. Yes, you do need more than 40K to live on, but what is the going rate for this occupation in this area? This might be the typical salary, even if it is not enough to cover a person's expenses who wishes to live independently. If you took this job, what other opportunities could it lead to? The housing is the killer factor. Anything on the lower end will either have a catch or it's going to be very run down. Long Island does not have many new shiny subdivisions. "New" means a house built in 1970 or later. And it will be hard to set aside any money for emergencies or to save for a place with nicer living conditions.

I am hoping that another forum member, J5K5LY, will see this thread, and offer some expert information.

Oh, I laughed when I saw this. Expert information? I am flattered! I guess I am the expert on how to live a quality life on LI with little money. LOL
Ok, to the OP:

I lived about 11 years in North East Pa. and came back to LI. I have to say, it's all pretty relative. I made less money in Pa and my bills were less. LI pays more but I still find it very expensive. I don't know how I make it. LOL I just do. I spend only on things that are necessary. I don't buy alot of cloths, jewelry, or anything like that. I do my own nails, get a haircut only a few times a year (used to do it myself cuz no one did what I liked.) I haven't been to the Smithaven Mall in over 20 years. It just doesn't interest me. My favorite store is Agway. I love animals and that is where any extra money goes. It's pretty much how you live. I would be thrilled to have a wood burning stove again and never turn on the heat. But it's not happening here. So I live frugally. I am careful. OP- I have a feeling that since you come from the country, this will not be difficult for you. LI is extremely materialistic. If you can avoid getting into that mind set, you should be fine. I make about $50,000 a year (or did last year, this year may be less) and have an adult son that contributes. I have the minimum car insurance but a great vehicle, paid for. I have a wonderful mechanic that has been a family friend for many years so I am not ripped off. I cook carefully and make sure food lasts. I do most from scratch. I don't like eating out so seldom spend money on that. Every few weeks I get a pizza. It can be done but it really depends on what you want. If you like to shop- then you are doomed. I hate stores. If you like status symbols and need a new car every 3 yrs and a Coach bag, then you are doomed. Don't buy into the material life and you can make it.
There is plenty to do on LI that is free or of minimal cost. Again, it depends on what you like. For me, nothing beats a nice hike through the salt marshes or the pine barrens. Bird watching is free. I live near LI Sound and I can go to the local beach free or for less than $20 a year. If you want to pick pumpkins or taste wine, go mid-week. It's much better than fighting the city traffic. Orient Point is gorgeous and free as far as I know. I go when there is no one there. Greenport has festivals and is a charming town. I avoid the Polish town fair and the Fall fair in Riverhead now. It was nice years ago but just too crowded with alot of obnoxious people now. I seldom go west. As as far as I am concerned, anything west of Wading River is city to me. I do have to travel 20 minutes west for work but that's it.
LI is what you make of it. There is alot of beauty on the East end, and much of it is free.
My brother-in-law worked in agriculture years ago and did fine, supporting his family with 4 kids. If you have a masters degree, I am sure you could do well. I don't know if you are considering this a permanent relocation or just to get a foot in the door in that sector but I think LI has a lot of opportunity, if you look.
Keep the country in you and you should be fine. There are private rentals that are affordable. I have a friend that has a lovely 3 room apartment in a house and she pays $850 a month. (and it's legal!) Avoid the garden apartment complexes. Stay on the North Fork. Be frugal. Enjoy the free beauty of the East End.
I hope this helps. Many people on here trash LI and it is an easy thing to do if you travel west. I could never be on LI if I had to live there. I need woods and land and quiet and animals. I found it where I am. I did love the country in Pa and the ability to be much more self sufficient but it is a trade off so I can be near my kids and grandkids. LI will be what you make of it -for YOU.
Good luck!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I knew you would provide the expert advice. You are a true survivor and if anyone can do it, it's you. Also, you are much more of a bonafide Long Islander, than me. I hope this helps the OP with his decision. Glad you got through Sandy and hope you had a good Thanksgiving with the family and your pets. Send me an email when you are not busy with the doggies.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
Quote:
I knew you would provide the expert advice. You are a true survivor and if anyone can do it, it's you. Also, you are much more of a bonafide Long Islander, than me. I hope this helps the OP with his decision. Glad you got through Sandy and hope you had a good Thanksgiving with the family and your pets. Send me an email when you are not busy with the doggies.
Thanks Coney. Sandy was a biotch but got through it. No power for a week but after a day or 2, when I realized this was not going to be over soon, I got out the large pot and heated water on the grill and then got out the cast iron skillet and made some of the best meals ever. Borrowed a generator from my son so the rescued, plucking, self mutilating parrot would not freeze. I didn't like freezing either but found that cleaning up the mess outside (lost 4 big trees) was enough to work up a sweat. Showered at my son's house. That is when I really wished I had that wood stove! I actually find extreme weather exciting and was out in the middle of it all taking videos. LOL
Wonderful Thanksgiving here and I do give thanks for being near my kids, even if it is difficult money wise, at times. It's worth it.
I hope the storm mess missed you and your Thanksgiving was great, as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island