Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:46 AM

400 posts, read 761,605 times

Advertisements

Sorry,

There are a ton of comments on this thread so excuse me if someone has brought this up already. The vast number of ideas on how to prevent this type of thing from happening only does just that. Prvents this specific case of violence from happening again and will only lead to an alternate solution. There is no way you can protect these kids in every public forum they are at. Will these security measures be on the playground, buses, afterschool events.

I fear for my children, but I just can't see how this stuff can be prevented without total change of way of life. There will always be maniacs, and this would have gone down in some way or another.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Sorry,

There are a ton of comments on this thread so excuse me if someone has brought this up already. The vast number of ideas on how to prevent this type of thing from happening only does just that. Prvents this specific case of violence from happening again and will only lead to an alternate solution. There is no way you can protect these kids in every public forum they are at. Will these security measures be on the playground, buses, afterschool events.

I fear for my children, but I just can't see how this stuff can be prevented without total change of way of life. There will always be maniacs, and this would have gone down in some way or another.

Yup, I believe you are correct.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
As I walked straight into the school gym yesterday evening, it became reality how easy it would for a nut to just walk in and do some crime. I think its time to start locking the schools down around the clock, not just during the school day.

Walk around the mall, especially right now during the Holiday season.
Imagine if someone went nuts...
Now understand you are unable to protect yourself because NYS says you can't have a gun, or bring it to the mall...
Pretty tragic, huh?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Sorry,

Schools should not be like Rikers Island. You cant foresee everything that can come at you.
They can make a perfectly safe car that you will survive just about any accident. Problem is, no one can afford driving around in a couple of millon dollar M1 Abrams tank that uses gas in gallons per mile and not miles per gallon. Much like we cannot afford to turn every school in to an Army Fort.
Think your taxes are high now?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 PM

It was only a matter of time before someone suggested we couldn't afford to protect our children.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:15 PM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
It was only a matter of time before someone suggested we couldn't afford to protect our children.
I'm all for spending reasonable amounts of money to protect all people. But there is no way to properly secure all school buildings in a district without turning them into forts with concrete walls and razor wire around them. The costs of that alone will be sky high and completely unesscessary. Never mind if you add armed guards and patrols. You cannot prevent crazy from doing what they want.

No one imagined people crashing a plane into a building either, but we dont install anti-aircraft guns on every building.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Schools should not be like Rikers Island. You cant foresee everything that can come at you.
They can make a perfectly safe car that you will survive just about any accident. Problem is, no one can afford driving around in a couple of millon dollar M1 Abrams tank that uses gas in gallons per mile and not miles per gallon. Much like we cannot afford to turn every school in to an Army Fort.
Think your taxes are high now?

I am sorry, my post was not meant to be taken as the remedy but only to point out that there really is no viable solution to the problem. This has nothing to do with cost...

Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The AR-15 style is really not much of a factor. Hasan, the killer at Ft. Hood killed 13 and wounded I believe 32 with a handgun. Fort Hood shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you are interested here is a list of LEO who died from gunshot wounds in the line of duty. It lists the weapon used and circumstances under which the officers were killed.
Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2012
I looked at some randomly, and this one caught my attention.. Deputy Sheriff Jeremy Triche, St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's Office, Louisiana

Other weapons used list either rifle, handgun, or unspecified.

Regardless, the Fort Hood shooter used 30 round magazines. I think what it boils down to a major factor is magazine capacity.

I guess Zilla has me on ignore. 0 for 2 with my questions.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I'm all for spending reasonable amounts of money to protect all people. But there is no way to properly secure all school buildings in a district without turning them into forts with concrete walls and razor wire around them. The costs of that alone will be sky high and completely unesscessary. Never mind if you add armed guards and patrols. You cannot prevent crazy from doing what they want.

No one imagined people crashing a plane into a building either, but we dont install anti-aircraft guns on every building.

You also forget... What if the teacher or administrator is the initiator. What if the armed security guard is the one doing the shooting? We need to have a security guard guard against the primary security guard and so on and so forth infinity. The best you can do is train people to somewhat handle the situation to minimize the impact.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I looked at some randomly, and this one caught my attention.. Deputy Sheriff Jeremy Triche, St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's Office, Louisiana

Other weapons used list either rifle, handgun, or unspecified.

Regardless, the Fort Hood shooter used 30 round magazines. I think what it boils down to a major factor is magazine capacity.

I guess Zilla has me on ignore. 0 for 2 with my questions.

I'm not ignoring anyone.
care to repeat your questions? I must have missed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island