Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM

31 posts, read 50,909 times

Advertisements

I briefly spoke about this in another thread. I away from Long Island for a few years while getting my graduate degrees. My degree is in STEM research area. After I graduated I noticed that there is few to no "fine" industry on Long Island. Examples include biotechnology, nanotechnology, IT, defense, government contracting, and other logistics. I'm not trying to put down Long Island I'm only stating what I've observed.

I know Long Island is considered a suburb of NYC. But I feel the population here is way too big to only be depending on NYC for its economy. Not to mention that these fine industries are the industries of the future will benefit the Long Island economy and increase the amount of well-paid private sector jobs.

A good comparison would be Orange County, CA. A suburban region that has fine industry with well-paid jobs.

Some people may state its the taxes. But there are other regions where taxes are high but fine industry exists such as Boston and Saratoga, NY. So I don't think its only taxes that are causing this.

Any thoughts? Some poster said it is the local government. Is there anything being done to try to promote more industry on Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,998,520 times
Seems real estate and fast food are the only industrys here.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,073,017 times
Add banks and nail salons into that mix too

Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,939 times
Don't forget Attorneys at Law (Personal Injury) and gas stations.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 PM

796 posts, read 1,759,420 times
There are a few areas that are home to many corporation bases... Port Washington... Melville/Farmingdale... Happauge...

Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,003,428 times
search the posts...this has been discussed a couple of trillion times including the last thread you mentioned.

1. NIMBY attitudes toward beneficial commercial (and residential) development.
2. Adversarial relationship by local govts to business.
3. Heavy tax, regulation and layers of bureaucracy.
4. High COL.
5. Few (except Stonybrook) higher ed research facilities and zero govt support or impetus for high tech industry incubation.
6. Lack of reasonable housing options for young professionals so difficult for businesses to attract graduates.
7. Many highly regarded places offering the above PLUS multiple incentives and full public support for bringing business and jobs to their area (the opposite of the attitude here).

Could go on and on but hopefully you get the idea.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,998,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
search the posts...this has been discussed a couple of trillion times including the last thread you mentioned.

1. NIMBY attitudes toward beneficial commercial (and residential) development.

Benefical lol more clutter i will give you a few hundred dollers to stop your queens like posting.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM

19,277 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Vida View Post
I briefly spoke about this in another thread. I away from Long Island for a few years while getting my graduate degrees. My degree is in STEM research area. After I graduated I noticed that there is few to no "fine" industry on Long Island. Examples include biotechnology, nanotechnology, IT, defense, government contracting, and other logistics. I'm not trying to put down Long Island I'm only stating what I've observed.

I know Long Island is considered a suburb of NYC. But I feel the population here is way too big to only be depending on NYC for its economy. Not to mention that these fine industries are the industries of the future will benefit the Long Island economy and increase the amount of well-paid private sector jobs.

A good comparison would be Orange County, CA. A suburban region that has fine industry with well-paid jobs.

Some people may state its the taxes. But there are other regions where taxes are high but fine industry exists such as Boston and Saratoga, NY. So I don't think its only taxes that are causing this.

Any thoughts? Some poster said it is the local government. Is there anything being done to try to promote more industry on Long Island?
Orange county although expensive to live in and some say Disneyized (lol) is far different from the island. Orange County sits among SoCals enormous aerospace industry, other industries are in surrounding counties and readily accesable. LI is only accessable through several choke points and is not adjoining any other resources. The need to bring everything in and out combined with higher costs for everything make it one of the lease attractive locales. A highly educated talent pool is one of LI's greatest assets and proximity to NYC could be viewed as a benefit.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM

31 posts, read 50,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Orange county although expensive to live in and some say Disneyized (lol) is far different from the island. Orange County sits among SoCals enormous aerospace industry, other industries are in surrounding counties and readily accesable. LI is only accessable through several choke points and is not adjoining any other resources. The need to bring everything in and out combined with higher costs for everything make it one of the lease attractive locales. A highly educated talent pool is one of LI's greatest assets and proximity to NYC could be viewed as a benefit.
That is a good point. Long Island's geography is against it when it comes to promoting outsiders.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,003,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Benefical lol more clutter i will give you a few hundred dollers to stop your queens like posting.
You so crazy but I'll take the few hundred "dollers", you one note nursery rhyme.
Seriously Auto, did you ever stop to consider that there is other development in the known world besides condos. That is what the thread is about. Jobs, industries, technology.
Let the grown ups talk please. Go read a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island