Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times

Advertisements

I lived close by and travelled through it daily and it was a rough place. Hope it turned around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
When are Venezuelan women going to move to the NY metro area in large numbers?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I question whether gentrification has truly taken place in those towns, or are we referring to the mere displacement of one minority population by another. I don't think people's perceptions of Freeport, Wyandanch, or Brentwood is any better nowadays than it was in the past.
Well, it's not just a matter of perceptions, but also what happens in reality.

Take a neighborhood in Brooklyn like Canarsie. It went from mostly White to mostly Black. The crime rate decreased in almost every category (murder, assault, robbery, etc) by a significant amount, and yet you still have people talking about how crime has gone up and so on. At best, people will say that it's remained the same, but very few people will say it has improved as more Black people moved in, when in reality, that was the case.

I knew a White guy who lived in East Flatbush (Brooklyn) about 40-50 years ago or so when it was all-White. The crap him and his friends used to get into is probably the same crap (or worse) that Black kids in that neighborhood get into today. And yet a lot of people say that area has gotten worse, when I doubt that is really the case.

I heard that in Sunset Park (Brooklyn), it used to have a bunch of abandoned storefronts and a higher crime rate. Eventually, the Mexican population grew, and displaced some of the Puerto Ricans who lived there. It's Hispanics displacing other Hispanics, but it did help improve the neighborhood.

Here in SI, there were a few areas on the North Shore (Port Richmond & West New Brighton around Castleton Avenue), that used to be a mix of Whites, Blacks, and Puerto Ricans, and the crime rate was definitely higher than it is today, now that the Mexican population has grown. There are a bunch of stores serving the Mexican population in the area, whereas before, they were just vacant storefronts. I would definitely call that an improvement.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 PM

200 posts, read 456,870 times
Eventually the Latinos/Hispanics will take over all of LI...ok maybe not the Hamptons.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, it's not just a matter of perceptions, but also what happens in reality.

Take a neighborhood in Brooklyn like Canarsie. It went from mostly White to mostly Black. The crime rate decreased in almost every category (murder, assault, robbery, etc) by a significant amount, and yet you still have people talking about how crime has gone up and so on. At best, people will say that it's remained the same, but very few people will say it has improved as more Black people moved in, when in reality, that was the case.

I knew a White guy who lived in East Flatbush (Brooklyn) about 40-50 years ago or so when it was all-White. The crap him and his friends used to get into is probably the same crap (or worse) that Black kids in that neighborhood get into today. And yet a lot of people say that area has gotten worse, when I doubt that is really the case.

I heard that in Sunset Park (Brooklyn), it used to have a bunch of abandoned storefronts and a higher crime rate. Eventually, the Mexican population grew, and displaced some of the Puerto Ricans who lived there. It's Hispanics displacing other Hispanics, but it did help improve the neighborhood.

Here in SI, there were a few areas on the North Shore (Port Richmond & West New Brighton around Castleton Avenue), that used to be a mix of Whites, Blacks, and Puerto Ricans, and the crime rate was definitely higher than it is today, now that the Mexican population has grown. There are a bunch of stores serving the Mexican population in the area, whereas before, they were just vacant storefronts. I would definitely call that an improvement.
Canarsie is a good example and bolsters the idea that it's about economics more than race. Canarsie is effectively the "suburbs" for families trying to find more stability than they had in Flatbush, East New York, Brownsville, etc. which had become war zones. Although it's mostly black, it is an area of homeowners and working families who consider it a community and have civic pride. It helps that there is also a lot more police presence than there used to be but that is because the police presence is welcomed and not shunned. It really doesn't matter if it's black, white, hispanic, indian, asian. The common denominator is homeownership, civic mindedness and pride. Shared values but it takes solid incomes to be evident on a broader area.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
You know the first few pages of this tread started off great, then the I hate anything Spanish/Hispanic or sounding like jumped in. The op was simply stating a point that some of these families are looking for a better way of life these town will change as their kids go to school and become more American. It always takes a few generations to be able to break from the norm. Someone mentioned the conservative/Catholic voting record of the Hispanic community and that too changed this election and will continue to change. The point is people think what you want of them they are here and they have realized you affect change by voting and they are voting. Their kids will improve on this generation and try to do better and so will their kids like many immigrants before them, so get over it.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
[quote=nycbrooklyn;27409361as their kids go to school.[/quote]

Yea without a green card or learning english as judge judy would say this is some america.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
My wife's family is Spanish and from a "civilized part" of South American, and God help you if you lump either of them in with generic Hispanics. I did and got a speech on why they are different.
Let me guess: Argentine?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Yea without a green card or learning english as judge judy would say this is some america.
Look unless Columbus stole this country from your great, great, great great grand parents we are all here via immigration. I just met someone that told me when the iris were sent here they had to do a sanity check on them. If they felt like they were crazy or something like that they would send them back. We are all here as immigrants so I wish people would stop acting like they woke up here one day and did everything right. If you are upset get upset at your politician for not figuring a way to make them citizens so they have to work on the book and pay taxes. Don't give me they will still work under the table. It will force them to pay taxes and oh wait it will give them the opportunity to vote (say good bye to your favorite politician)

Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Are you sure about that? Do you have any stats to back that up?
Call this phone number and ask:

516-483-6200

They're the experts on crime in Hempstead. They will agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island