Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we In or On Long Island?
In 0 0%
On 35 100.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 03:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Umm, look at the poll....
I don't care about the poll...I agree that "on" is generally the common way to say it and I said myself that I usually say "on"...but I maintain that "in" is not incorrect since Long Island usually refers specifically to Nassau and Suffolk counties, not the geographic landmass itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 05:09 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
If you're referring to the geographic land mass then technically Queens and Brooklyn are ON Long Island, too. The problem with IN is that Nassau and Suffolk share nothing specific as municipalities - they're land locked next to each other, not part of NYC, and in NY state. You're either in Suffolk or in Nassau county, you're never in LI.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't care about the poll...I agree that "on" is generally the common way to say it and I said myself that I usually say "on"...but I maintain that "in" is not incorrect since Long Island usually refers specifically to Nassau and Suffolk counties, not the geographic landmass itself.
Yeah - generally the common way being 100% LOL.

Like I said before, if someone said that they lived IN Long Island, it is a sign that they are either new to the Island or they never actually lived here at all. It just sounds very strange to long time residents.

I actually seen the highlighted on the general forum years ago. Someone was trash talking Long Island and said he lived IN the Island for many years before "escaping". I instantly knew he never lived here and was just trolling.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:55 PM

13 posts, read 19,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I thought most people said "in" Staten Island
Native Staten Islanders don't say that. See the Boro President's pdf guide to Staten Island. Every reference to the borough says "ON" Staten Island.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
I'm a Queens native and I use both "on" and "in", depending on the context. Queens is "on" Long Island but isn't "in" it.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:14 PM

852 posts, read 968,659 times
Quote:
Yeah - generally the common way being 100% LOL.

Like I said before, if someone said that they lived IN Long Island, it is a sign that they are either new to the Island or they never actually lived here at all. It just sounds very strange to long time residents.

I actually seen the highlighted on the general forum years ago. Someone was trash talking Long Island and said he lived IN the Island for many years before "escaping". I instantly knew he never lived here and was just trolling.
Yeah, if they say "IN Long Island", it's usually indicative of the fact that they don't know that LI is comprised of two counties and various towns, hamlets and cities, collectively referred to as "Long Island". They likely think LI is just one integral political jurisdiction. In-person, it's easier to figger[sic]-out who the fakers are, because they say Long Island" instead of "Lawn Guyland", or if in the metro area, they say "Long Island" instead of "The Island".

Why anyone would WANT to pretend to be from The Island, is another matter.... I guess it might be attractive if one were really from Jersey or Newburgh or Albany or some such place....

Old 04-27-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Because when you're referring to a proper place name, it's "in". When you're referring to an island, it's "on". You live in Manhattan....but Manhattan is both a proper place name, and the name of the island which Manhattan is on, so if you're referring to the isle of Manhattan generically (as opposed to the political jurisdiction) then it's "on". No one lives "in" an island, unless they've done a lot of digging .
The only boroughs of New York City that are islands are Manhattan and Staten Island.
Common usage within the city is:

I was born in Manhattan
I was born on Staten Island

I live in Manhattan
I live on Staten Island

It's raining in Manhattan
It's raining on Staten Island

The Dutch purchased "Manhattan Island". Obviously the same rules of grammar don't apply for both islands today. Is it because Manhattan is not commonly referred to as Manhattan Island, even though it is an island?

Last edited by beaglemaster; 04-27-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 07:18 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Yeah, if they say "IN Long Island", it's usually indicative of the fact that they don't know that LI is comprised of two counties and various towns, hamlets and cities, collectively referred to as "Long Island". They likely think LI is just one integral political jurisdiction. In-person, it's easier to figger[sic]-out who the fakers are, because they say Long Island" instead of "Lawn Guyland", or if in the metro area, they say "Long Island" instead of "The Island".

Why anyone would WANT to pretend to be from The Island, is another matter.... I guess it might be attractive if one were really from Jersey or Newburgh or Albany or some such place....
Sometimes on the general forums you will see a troll pretend to be from somewhere so he can knock it more effectively. Pretty stupid I know.

Beaglemaster, I agree with about Staten Island and Manhattan being islands but Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, geographically at least. And you see Queens grouped with Nassau and Suffolk occasionally.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 PM

852 posts, read 968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglemaster View Post

The Dutch purchased "Manhattan Island". Obviously the same rules of grammar don't apply for both islands today. Is it because Manhattan is not commonly referred to as Manhattan Island, even though it is an island?
Actually, the same rules DO apply today. Manhattan is both the name of the island of Manhattan, and the borough(political jurisdiction) of Manhattan. So if we're talking about the political jurisdiction/borough of Manhattan, we say in; if we're speaking about Manhattan Island, it would be proper to say "on".

I was born IN Manhattan.
I was born ON Manhattan Island.

Same with Staten Island: If we're talking about the political jurisdiction, we'd say "I grew up in Staten Island" But if we're talking about the geographical feature known as Staten Island, we'd say "I grew up ON Staten Island"- but since the word "island" is actually part of the official name of Staten Island, we could really get away with using either "on" or "in" interchangeably.

But for Long Island, "In" is never appropriate, since there is no political jurisdicton officially known as/named "Long Island". "I grew up IN Ronkonkoma, ON Long Island.

One could grow up IN Haiti, ON [the island of] Hispaniola. One could never say "I grew up IN Hispaniola". (And then they'd go to a library in Suffolk county Ny to have a Voo-Doo meeting... ) [You'll "get" that if you've been following that thread]

Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I agree about Staten Island and Manhattan being islands but Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, geographically at least. And you see Queens grouped with Nassau and Suffolk occasionally.
Yes, but Brooklyn and Queens aren't islands unto themselves like Manhattan and Staten Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island