Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 4,050,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I was referring to the fact that the last time I was in Casco I saw lots of MDF and particle board which is never the same as hardwood.

If you misunderstood me as to challenging your opinion, I didnt mean it that way. Just trying to understand what you bought at Casco that maybe has changed or I didnt see.
I have purchased a bedroom set, book shelves, desk and chair from Casco. All solid wood, well made. The salemen I dealt with are also the owners, very helpful, polite and no upsell or pressure. Actually discounted some items. Their delivery people were also neat, on time and polite.

Behr's salespeople treated us as if they couldn't be bothered and their delivery people damaged my driveway even though i told them not to back up. (driveway was steep, back bumper dug into asphalt) Then they denied that they caused the damage and management dismissed my complaint. The furniture has held up fine but I would never buy there again. I didn't think they had much selection and the only reason we bought there was because Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby were worse and Bellini is a rip off. We didn't know Casco existed at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM

414 posts, read 810,419 times
We bought my son a nice furniture set from Rooms Unlimited a about 2 years ago, prices were very good, quality very good, and got interest free financing for 3 years. Folks were very helpful as well. We shopped at the store in Medford.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,747,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I have purchased a bedroom set, book shelves, desk and chair from Casco. All solid wood, well made. The salemen I dealt with are also the owners, very helpful, polite and no upsell or pressure. Actually discounted some items. Their delivery people were also neat, on time and polite.

Behr's salespeople treated us as if they couldn't be bothered and their delivery people damaged my driveway even though i told them not to back up. (driveway was steep, back bumper dug into asphalt) Then they denied that they caused the damage and management dismissed my complaint. The furniture has held up fine but I would never buy there again. I didn't think they had much selection and the only reason we bought there was because Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby were worse and Bellini is a rip off. We didn't know Casco existed at that time.
Agree that Bellini is a rip off. Way overpriced. Would never even step foot in the store again. I dont know who can afford that stuff.

Sorry about your issues with Behr's. We are looking for a new activity table for our son and Casco is one of the places we plan on looking at along with Behrs

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,797,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Agree that Bellini is a rip off. Way overpriced. Would never even step foot in the store again. I dont know who can afford that stuff.

Sorry about your issues with Behr's. We are looking for a new activity table for our son and Casco is one of the places we plan on looking at along with Behrs
I bought both my children's baby furniture at Behr's -- the dressers held up very well and I was able to sell them for a decent buck when I was done with them. My son's first 'big boy' bed was a junior loft from Ikea which I was able to resell several years later.

When it came time to upgrade my son's room we went with the Great American Bunkbed Co which had a location in Smithtown at the time. We bought a loft, bookcase, desk, chair, and desk carrel. This was some seriously heavy duty furniture. I sold off the bed and desk unit, still have the shelving which has been through a tremendous amount of abuse and has held up remarkably well for 14 years.

My daughter's 'big girl' room was finished with some great antiques, unfortunately she didn't appreciate them. I redid her teen room this summer and visited Casco as it is nearby. I was underwhelmed by the showroom, but the salesperson was very willing to help me find things that weren't on the floor. I wound up ordering the bed online because I needed it faster than Casco could have delivered. Pricewise -- Casco was a little more, and I would have liked to have shopped local, but time-wise I needed to get a bed in faster than 2 months as the antique bed and desk sold immediately.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,566,410 times
Have you checked out a place called Bare Boards???Bare Boards and Country Parlor Furniture

Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,566,410 times
I just called them and most of their furniture is made in either canada or ohio. I say this because I refuse to buy anything made in China.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I just called them and most of their furniture is made in either canada or ohio. I say this because I refuse to buy anything made in China.
IF you mean anything made in China for any purchase, good luck with that.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Have you checked out a place called Bare Boards???Bare Boards and Country Parlor Furniture
Bare Boards is great. Not a "kids" furniture store but a generalized furniture store. They have a lot of unfinished pieces too that you can finish yourself.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,214,723 times
Too bad The Workbench isn't around anymore. The beds lasted till my daughters left home and the dressers are still being used--for my grandkids!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,797,250 times
Quote:
Bare Boards has a lot of solid furniture -- never bought bedroom items there. I did buy a computer cabinet, corner TV hutch, and chairs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island