Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM

289 posts, read 399,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
And still in a flood zone. (And possibly Sharknado zone).
Thank you, I wanted to tivo a repeat of this sci-fi flick. I forgot the name. in addition to a rep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
higher flood insurance premiums in the A zone will influence home sales close to the water. This goes for all 50 states, not just NY. Many people around the country in the A zones have no idea what the Bigger-Waters act has in store for them.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
higher flood insurance premiums in the A zone will influence home sales close to the water. This goes for all 50 states, not just NY. Many people around the country in the A zones have no idea what the Bigger-Waters act has in store for them.
Bottom line they will just drop flood insurance if FEMA gets to full market non-subsidized on their house.

My FEMA guy said that happened in New Orleans after Katrina. Some folks with had like 150K damage to home and got a big check, unlike now the check went right to homeowner and not bank. Maybe decided to do a cheap fix, not raise house at all and just pay off mortgage and drop flood insurance.

Folks who had flood insurance first time know they get 31,900 coverage for free through FEMA.

Folks with no flood insurance, only got 31,900 first time and used that to do a cheap fix. What they do is start-stop flood. Lets say Flood is 12,000 a year full rate cause you house is in a major flood zone, they take out insurance every July 15 through Nov 15 year year 4k. Who needs flood insurance 8 months out of year.

If they ever hit me full rate that is what I would do. I cant raise my house it is a split. It is very expensive. And FEMA is short sighted. They dont allow folks with no insurance to get the 30K ICC to raise house. Which is silly, cause now I have flood and when I get hit they have to pay to fix my house and then give me 30K ICC.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
And still in a flood zone. (And possibly Sharknado zone).
The beach has a big draw that folks who are not beach people will never get. I also own a beach place. Yes my primary and vacation home on LI are both in flood zones.

Pretty much once July 4th hit my phone was ringing off the hook and I booked it up. I also have people already inquiring about the fall and next summer.

Then again I am not afraid to go without flood. Last flood primary took on five feet of water with no flood insurance. Since I have two properties I have people I regularly used and got it fixed by New Years without any help from NFIP while my neighbors to this day still have pods and dumpsters out front and are sucking tax payer money dry as they fight for every last nickle to get a free mcmansion.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Bottom line they will just drop flood insurance if FEMA gets to full market non-subsidized on their house.
if you carry a mortgate, you have to maintain flood insurance.

Quote:
My FEMA guy said that happened in New Orleans after Katrina. Some folks with had like 150K damage to home and got a big check, unlike now the check went right to homeowner and not bank. Maybe decided to do a cheap fix, not raise house at all and just pay off mortgage and drop flood insurance.

Folks who had flood insurance first time know they get 31,900 coverage for free through FEMA.
As far as I know, if you have flood insurance you are NOT entitled to FEMA grant money.

Quote:
Folks with no flood insurance, only got 31,900 first time and used that to do a cheap fix. What they do is start-stop flood. Lets say Flood is 12,000 a year full rate cause you house is in a major flood zone, they take out insurance every July 15 through Nov 15 year year 4k. Who needs flood insurance 8 months out of year.

If they ever hit me full rate that is what I would do. I cant raise my house it is a split. It is very expensive. And FEMA is short sighted. They dont allow folks with no insurance to get the 30K ICC to raise house. Which is silly, cause now I have flood and when I get hit they have to pay to fix my house and then give me 30K ICC.
many others are in the same situation or worse. What if you're in an attached row of houses in Sheesphead Bay? Or on the ground floor of a four story walk-up in Long Island City? It will be interesting to see what happens with this going forward. This is not just a case of people in bayfront mcmansions getting cheap insurance.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 AM

247 posts, read 483,472 times
Its probably in here somewhere, but can someone link or post a flood zone map? I've googled flood zone maps and I'm not getting results.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,546 times
There's a story in today's Newsday (can't find the link right now) showing South Shore Nassau home sales and prices dropping dramatically, while other parts of the Island are showing gains. Buyers aren't stupid. They know where to find the flood maps.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM

556 posts, read 623,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
There's a story in today's Newsday (can't find the link right now) showing South Shore Nassau home sales and prices dropping dramatically, while other parts of the Island are showing gains. Buyers aren't stupid. They know where to find the flood maps.
Since Home Sale prices are 6 months old before being posted, I believe those prices reflect owners who decided not to repair their houses. I had one on my block that was bought for $800,000 less than 2 years ago and was sold "as is" for $400,000.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
Its probably in here somewhere, but can someone link or post a flood zone map? I've googled flood zone maps and I'm not getting results.
Someone posted a map several months ago that had the flood maps vs. actual flooding but looks that link is no longer working. You can put in an address below and it provides the elevation and flood zone.

What is My BFE? Address Lookup Tool (Formerly 'What is My ABFE?') - FEMA Region II Coastal Analysis and Mapping

Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 AM

247 posts, read 483,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Someone posted a map several months ago that had the flood maps vs. actual flooding but looks that link is no longer working. You can put in an address below and it provides the elevation and flood zone.

What is My BFE? Address Lookup Tool (Formerly 'What is My ABFE?') - FEMA Region II Coastal Analysis and Mapping
Interesting. Now I suppose I need to determine the actual elevation of my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island