Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,812 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple, no children. Looking for the best place to live in Long Island for jobs in lower Manhattan new City Hall.

Factors to consider
-Want a nice, shorter commute to Manhattan/lower Manhattan
-Close to LIRR or good transportation
-Safe place, low crime rate
-Some city features (good restaurants, nice stores) is nice
-Nature is always great
-School Districts, Yard, parental concerns DO NOT matter

We'd need at least a 1 bed, 1 bath.

As for price, let's ballpark it at under $2,000. Preferably in the $1,500 to $1,800 range. Willing to go higher if walking distance to LIRR, two bathroom places, etc...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,772 times
Since you need to get into downtown Manhattan id pick a train line that goes into Atlantic Terminal. Long Beach or Rockville Centre.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Brooklyn.

LI is for people with kids. Everything revolves around families with kids, it is suburbia.
Taxes are high to support schools.
Why bother coming out here now? Wait unti/if you have kids IMO

Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I agree with NSH - no kids? It makes no sense to commute from LI, and your budget is low for anything nice anyway.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
You could find a relatively nice 1 bed in your price range in Long Beach. My husband and I (we're newlyweds) rent there now, and actually rent a 2 bed/1 bath that's in your price range (we're in a three-family home, relatively new appliances/finishes, with parking, laundry, and heat included). It's not Manhattan or Brooklyn, but we have good restaurants and amenities, and there's good street life (by LI standards). Since we both work on LI, it was a good fit for us.

Rockville Centre might also fit the bill for you, but I don't know about prices there since my husband and I didn't look at apartments there.

And NSH and twingles, I'm sorry, but are you guys high, or just really out of touch with city real estate prices? The nice parts of Brooklyn are 100% out of OP's price range - I have friends who started looking in Brooklyn with the same budget and ended up, variously in Forest Hills, Astoria, and Long Island City in Queens because Brooklyn was impossible at that price point.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM

118 posts, read 258,653 times
Try Floral Park

Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM

69 posts, read 93,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
You could find a relatively nice 1 bed in your price range in Long Beach. My husband and I (we're newlyweds) rent there now, and actually rent a 2 bed/1 bath that's in your price range (we're in a three-family home, relatively new appliances/finishes, with parking, laundry, and heat included). It's not Manhattan or Brooklyn, but we have good restaurants and amenities, and there's good street life (by LI standards). Since we both work on LI, it was a good fit for us.

Rockville Centre might also fit the bill for you, but I don't know about prices there since my husband and I didn't look at apartments there.

And NSH and twingles, I'm sorry, but are you guys high, or just really out of touch with city real estate prices? The nice parts of Brooklyn are 100% out of OP's price range - I have friends who started looking in Brooklyn with the same budget and ended up, variously in Forest Hills, Astoria, and Long Island City in Queens because Brooklyn was impossible at that price point.
Correctamundo.

OP is clearly looking to rent at his price point...taxes are irrelevant.

I would agree that LI is really more geared towards families. Bump up your price a little more and shoot for the Bayside/Douglaston area. Your desire for a safe area/low crime and nature would be covered. Only downfall is the LIRR only goes to Penn from there...in the grand scheme, not a deal killer.

Last edited by Joe Swanson; 02-24-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM

118 posts, read 258,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathSciGirl View Post
Try Floral Park
Or Hoboken/Jersey City

Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
So sorry I didn't get it exact enough for you, I didn't agree with Brooklyn - I agreed with not renting on Long Island.

Of course Long Beach is a great option, especially if you enjoy living in the water. Oops, I meant ON the water. No, I meant in the water. Ya forget to recommend flood insurance.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM

60 posts, read 188,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedToNY1982 View Post
We are a young couple, no children. Looking for the best place to live in Long Island for jobs in lower Manhattan new City Hall.

Factors to consider
-Want a nice, shorter commute to Manhattan/lower Manhattan
-Close to LIRR or good transportation
-Safe place, low crime rate
-Some city features (good restaurants, nice stores) is nice
-Nature is always great
-School Districts, Yard, parental concerns DO NOT matter

We'd need at least a 1 bed, 1 bath.

As for price, let's ballpark it at under $2,000. Preferably in the $1,500 to $1,800 range. Willing to go higher if walking distance to LIRR, two bathroom places, etc...

Thanks!
Where to move on Long Island? Try North Carolina. Move now. save yourself the trouble now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island