Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,517,631 times

Advertisements

Bethpage is cool too, 450 will get you something very decent anywhere in Nassau County that isn't some wild rich folk spot. Could even live on the water in Seaford for that money (or less) if you settled for a bungalow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:10 PM

7,963 posts, read 9,180,543 times
450K will get you an upkept 4/2 cape in Franklin Square. Easy drive to SSP or CIP up to LIE.
Pros:Area is good, schools are good, shorter commute due to its location

Cons: Elmont on one side, Hempstead on the other....will they meet in the middle?, smaller property sizes, some people don't like the proximity to Queens.

But, that $450K will get you something decent in just about any "normal" (not rich) area in this market.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM

81 posts, read 350,243 times
Echo..its funny..my house is going up for sale tomorrow.It's in new hyde park,4 blocks from the LIRR..it takes me seven minutes to walk it.I just redid everything.Entire 1st floor is brand new,appliances are 2 weeks old all SS w/ granite counter tops.Nice basement w/1/2 bath,completly redone.Full 1st floor bathroom w/ shower,all brand new.It's not a big house but it is perfect for a couple with a child.2nd floor has 3 bedrooms with 1/2 bath.Nice yard with a 1 car garage and the taxes are around 4,500.00.
I will be looking to get 460,000 for the house.there will be an open house Sun..your more than welcome

Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 AM

44 posts, read 206,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
450K will get you an upkept 4/2 cape in Franklin Square. Easy drive to SSP or CIP up to LIE.
Pros:Area is good, schools are good, shorter commute due to its location

Cons: Elmont on one side, Hempstead on the other....will they meet in the middle?, smaller property sizes, some people don't like the proximity to Queens.

But, that $450K will get you something decent in just about any "normal" (not rich) area in this market.
I was thinking the same thing. But it's good to know that there are still somewhat "affordable" homes out there.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
Echo..its funny..my house is going up for sale tomorrow.It's in new hyde park,4 blocks from the LIRR..it takes me seven minutes to walk it.I just redid everything.Entire 1st floor is brand new,appliances are 2 weeks old all SS w/ granite counter tops.Nice basement w/1/2 bath,completly redone.Full 1st floor bathroom w/ shower,all brand new.It's not a big house but it is perfect for a couple with a child.2nd floor has 3 bedrooms with 1/2 bath.Nice yard with a 1 car garage and the taxes are around 4,500.00.
I will be looking to get 460,000 for the house.there will be an open house Sun..your more than welcome
Really..... Since our house isn't on the market yet, we're taking the time to research areas first. But, it won't hurt to look. I'll let you know what we decide and contact you privately. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
thunder94, I couldnt figure out how to use the private messaging so....
My hubby is working a double shift tomorrow, so we can't come by. If its on MLS send me the MLS #. Otherwise, good luck tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,032 times
I'm adding another vote for Bethpage. It has a good school district, a little town center, and an easy commute into Brooklyn if you do decide to take the train.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 AM

62 posts, read 205,726 times
Here's a thought -

Have you tried the area just outsdide the 5 towns. Hard to name the area but it is called either South Valley stream/ Gibson / North Woodmere or a plethera of other names. But there are nice houses under $500K , some areas have taxes in the $8K , the school district (make sure it's 14) is superb and the LIRR commute to Brooklyn is under 45 minutes (although it's not Williamsburgh it may be better than going to Penn). Also , if you still want to drive, you can either go around Rockaway or use the Belt and get to Brooklyn in about an hour

Good Luck
SGC

Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper44 View Post
I'm adding another vote for Bethpage. It has a good school district, a little town center, and an easy commute into Brooklyn if you do decide to take the train.
I'll look this up. How's the parking at the train station?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc from LI View Post
Here's a thought -

Have you tried the area just outsdide the 5 towns. Hard to name the area but it is called either South Valley stream/ Gibson / North Woodmere or a plethera of other names. But there are nice houses under $500K , some areas have taxes in the $8K , the school district (make sure it's 14) is superb and the LIRR commute to Brooklyn is under 45 minutes (although it's not Williamsburgh it may be better than going to Penn). Also , if you still want to drive, you can either go around Rockaway or use the Belt and get to Brooklyn in about an hour

Good Luck
SGC
Thank you. I will look up that section. Right now I drive, but if I can take the train and get to work within a reasonable time frame, I'm okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island