Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
It's bad for LI but inevitable and probably a good thing in the long run....IF we didn't have our collective heads up our a$$es. The defense industry welfare state has to shrink and unfortunately it was a bread and butter industry here for a long time. The question/problem is what will replace it? Nothing because there is no concerted political will to make LI an attractive place for business, incubation or development. Back to the same old layers of financially oppressive hack govt, insane costs, adversarial building/zoning codes, crumbling infrastructure. Other areas roll out the red carpet for startups. We slam the door in their face. LI, where top tier accountants and engineers make $100k w/ a 401k and kindergarden teachers and cops make $125k plus lifetime health and pension. Unsustainable by any stretch of the imagination.
Agree with most of your point mongoose, except how this is good in the long run. Losing jobs here is a bad thing period. The defense "bread and butter" you spoke of left years ago in the early 90's. The last handful of defense jobs leaving LI dosent help anything. I agree defense needs to eat some cuts but so does the REAL welfare state: entitlements. Everything else you said it right on the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
/\/\

I think the good that will come out of it is that it will one day force the island to think about alternative industries to drive its economy. It seems like too many people are content with its role as a bedroom community.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

I think the good that will come out of it is that it will one day force the island to think about alternative industries to drive its economy. It seems like too many people are content with its role as a bedroom community.
I see your point FHD but you would have thought LI would have done that 20 years ago when most of the defense industry folded. Gotta love it

Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
I heard BAE in greenlawn is closing as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
No Comment from Mangano or Gavone Bellone. Last one off the Island, please turn the lights off (Cuomo's LIPA will thank you for your energy conservation):

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=?site=newsday&view=longisland_it em&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=longisland&feed:i=1. 4750479
I guess you didn't actually READ the article you linked to.

It's 850 jobs lost, not 1,000.

Mangano DID comment in the article.

They're moving the jobs for cost cutting measures. The jobs are going to Florida and San Diego, CA. (San Diego is cheaper than here? Really?)

Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I guess you didn't actually READ the article you linked to.

It's 850 jobs lost, not 1,000.

Mangano DID comment in the article.

They're moving the jobs for cost cutting measures. The jobs are going to Florida and San Diego, CA. (San Diego is cheaper than here? Really?)
It really is closer to 1000 jobs (newsday is incorrect), but thats just semantics anyway. Unmanned systems is already located in San Diego, and the E2D is built in Florida so it makes sense to consolidate everything to those 2 locations. The move has nothing to do with cost of living or the cost of doing buisness on LI.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
It really is closer to 1000 jobs (newsday is incorrect), but thats just semantics anyway. Unmanned systems is already located in San Diego, and the E2D is built in Florida so it makes sense to consolidate everything to those 2 locations. The move has nothing to do with cost of living or the cost of doing buisness on LI.
Cost savings seems to be their main goal:

Quote:
The jobs are going to Florida and California in the latest cost-saving consolidation of functions by the aerospace company.
I thought the San Diego thing is going to be new, as the article says:

Quote:
An Unmanned Systems Center of Excellence will be located in San Diego and include work on the MQ-4C Triton, a Navy high altitude surveillance aircraft program now based in Bethpage, Belote said.
If cost of living and cost of doing business on LI wasn't a problem, why not leave it in Bethpage instead of create something new in San Diego?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Maybe the question should be what can they do better in SD that they can't do in LI such that they won't consolidate the work done in SD to LI instead. Either way consolidation has to happen so why not do it in LI?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
The question/problem is what will replace it? Nothing because there is no concerted political will to make LI an attractive place for business, incubation or development.
This is actually my first question - Mangano has done a lot so far with smaller spaces but this is a whole other beast.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Cost savings seems to be their main goal:

I thought the San Diego thing is going to be new, as the article says:

If cost of living and cost of doing business on LI wasn't a problem, why not leave it in Bethpage instead of create something new in San Diego?
Cost savings is the main goal, but the savings is through consolidation to where the respective aircraft are actually built. Again it has nothing to do with the cost of LI, but more to do with consolidating the work force to central locations, you said yourself san diego isnt much cheaper than LI.

The San Diego facility is not new (but now they are changing the name of it which may account for the wording in the article), it has been there for years. I used to work for NG I have been to the facility many times.

It would be much more costly to move the Triton program to LI than SoCal where the aircraft is actually built and flight tested. All the tooling and production equipment is there, in addition there is no longer any place to flight test the Global Hawk on LI (that would reasonable). No way would they ever consider moving an inproduction program here, much cheaper to just move the engineers over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island