Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 AM

49 posts, read 237,059 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I need help on how to grieve my taxes in Wantagh. Any suggestions or should I hire lawyers for this. I get letters in the mail about this every week. Is it hard to do it myself?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
It's not hard, give it a try. If it doesn't work you can hire it out. It's just filling out a form and sending it back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 AM

I do not know how to start. I have read that I need to figure out the property taxes of houses in my neighborhood. How can I do that?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Thnx!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM

245 posts, read 495,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat022 View Post
I do not know how to start. I have read that I need to figure out the property taxes of houses in my neighborhood. How can I do that?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Thnx!
Try zillow.com it's a real estate site.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM

321 posts, read 596,021 times
Try here:

Contest your assessment

Grievance procedures

I'm the process of grieving my taxes without the assistance of an attorney.

Just print out the forms and follow the process step-by-step.

I believe the paperwork is due mid May. If you have specific questions pertinent to your case, go to the office of your town comptroller.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Guys, you are the best!

Thank you all for your input. I will try what is suggested.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 AM

One question. After I submit the paper work, do I have to appear to any court or any place for any reason in order to get a reduction?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM

The page on the grievance procedures says the following:

Filing the grievance form
Outside of New York City and Nassau County, use Form RP-524 Complaint on Real Property Assessment to grieve your assessment.Then what is the form for Nassau County?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Try here:

Contest your assessment

Grievance procedures

I'm the process of grieving my taxes without the assistance of an attorney.

Just print out the forms and follow the process step-by-step.

I believe the paperwork is due mid May. If you have specific questions pertinent to your case, go to the office of your town comptroller.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
You can do the whole thing online (preferred). You will need to to know a value you want to propose for your house and find a few comps to support it (zillow, mynassauproperty recent sales, etc, any other recent sales sites). It couldn't be much easier. Only problem is I believe the appeal period was January 2nd- March 1st. May want to contact them to see if they will still take it and/or just file and see what happens. The system is such a mess they will proably just accept it.

Info page:
Nassau County Assessment Review Commission

Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat022 View Post
One question. After I submit the paper work, do I have to appear to any court or any place for any reason in order to get a reduction?
No. Occasionally if you hire a property tax lawyer they will file in court, but you doing it yourself, no.

You need to go to mynassauproperty.com. If you can figure out how to use city data you can figure out to get assessment and tax info on other properties that are similar to yours. If you can't, then hire a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island