Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 11,617 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live in Dix Hills on a corner property and have had over 5 incidents of someone breaking my vinyl fencing over the last few years. The incidents happen at night... I assume it is some teenagers but I don't know for sure. Each time, I find several panels laying in my backyard. A few times, some of the panels have been cracked as a result of this.

I have called the police several times. But it seems there is not much they can do... except they promise to keep an eye on this when they patrol the streets.

I am seriously considering adding a security camera but I question what good that will do. Even if the camera catches someone's face, will the police be able to find them?

I am also considering adding a second layer of fencing only on the side that faces the street - possibly wood or some type of metal/chain-link that I assume kids don't try to crash into. This will not look pretty - but I'm tired of constantly repairing my fence.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with this:
- Is the double fence idea worthwhile? If so, what type of fence would work best?
- Any recommendations on security cameras or companies that will install this equipment?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM

414 posts, read 808,901 times
2 things I would do here. First is hands down a camera or 2. If you have a wireless router, and you want to try and do something cheap and easy, look at the Dlink DCS-930 (or 932 for so so night vision) cameras. I have 6 of them in windows in my house pointing outside, all are recording 24/7. Forget the cops, the chance of them catching it in the act is about as good as winning the lottery. If you can deal with a stakeout, sit in a car across the street and wait, catch them red handed. That is something I would do for sure. It is probably a bunch of young punks, scare the crap out of them and it will surely stop. Sometimes just gotta take things like this into your own hands.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech51 View Post
Hi,
I live in Dix Hills on a corner property and have had over 5 incidents of someone breaking my vinyl fencing over the last few years. The incidents happen at night... I assume it is some teenagers but I don't know for sure. Each time, I find several panels laying in my backyard. A few times, some of the panels have been cracked as a result of this.

I have called the police several times. But it seems there is not much they can do... except they promise to keep an eye on this when they patrol the streets.

I am seriously considering adding a security camera but I question what good that will do. Even if the camera catches someone's face, will the police be able to find them?

I am also considering adding a second layer of fencing only on the side that faces the street - possibly wood or some type of metal/chain-link that I assume kids don't try to crash into. This will not look pretty - but I'm tired of constantly repairing my fence.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with this:
- Is the double fence idea worthwhile? If so, what type of fence would work best?
- Any recommendations on security cameras or companies that will install this equipment?

Thanks
Is someone crashing in to your fence with a car? or is it vandalism? Vinyl fencing is installed by sections of 8ft. How are they separating the panels? You never hear anything? Does it happen to your neighbors or just your house? Do you have a problem with a person or group? One time could be a random act but 5x's your a target, for whatever reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
2 things I would do here. First is hands down a camera or 2. If you have a wireless router, and you want to try and do something cheap and easy, look at the Dlink DCS-930 (or 932 for so so night vision) cameras. I have 6 of them in windows in my house pointing outside, all are recording 24/7. Forget the cops, the chance of them catching it in the act is about as good as winning the lottery. If you can deal with a stakeout, sit in a car across the street and wait, catch them red handed. That is something I would do for sure. It is probably a bunch of young punks, scare the crap out of them and it will surely stop. Sometimes just gotta take things like this into your own hands.
Must be great living in such a paranoid state Shhheezzz most of the time I forget to lock my doors to the house and cars.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
You mean a bat to the knee caps wouldn't work? I can't imagine it not making any noise at all.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Is someone crashing in to your fence with a car? or is it vandalism? Vinyl fencing is installed by sections of 8ft. How are they separating the panels? You never hear anything? Does it happen to your neighbors or just your house? Do you have a problem with a person or group? One time could be a random act but 5x's your a target, for whatever reason

Must be great living in such a paranoid state Shhheezzz most of the time I forget to lock my doors to the house and cars.
Each 8 ft section is made up of 12" panels. It may not look like it but that is how most are made.

This particular fence vandalism was a "trend" a few years ago so the media of course fueled a few isolated incidents into a popular moron pastime. It's likely just dopey kids combined with spring weather.

I find kids hanging around and am relatively cool with them and a little intimidating at the same time. If they don't mess with me and don't break things and get stupid, I don't mess with them.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Each 8 ft section is made up of 12" panels. It may not look like it but that is how most are made.

This particular fence vandalism was a "trend" a few years ago so the media of course fueled a few isolated incidents into a popular moron pastime. It's likely just dopey kids combined with spring weather.

I find kids hanging around and am relatively cool with them and a little intimidating at the same time. If they don't mess with me and don't break things and get stupid, I don't mess with them.
I know but after it's installed....how does one separate the panels Don't you have routed rails and posts? A steel reinforced bottom rail? Aren't they co-extruded? Cross rails? They aren't put up and installed with nails like a wooden fence. Maybe he has ranch rails

Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
This was happening to a corner property here too but it seems to have stopped. If I were you I'd definitely make it obvious that there are cameras in use, even if you have to buy a fake $20 one. Maybe some stickers/signs on the fence too. Basically you want to make them go elsewhere. I would not put additional fencing - that would look pretty terrible.

BTW, they can be broken/separated by simply running hard into them. They are slid in and held in place only by the the top/bottom horizontal pieces so if you break/bend it at the mid-point it comes apart. There was a news report on this a couple years back when it was a new fad. They showed some kind of video with it.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
This was happening to a corner property here too but it seems to have stopped. If I were you I'd definitely make it obvious that there are cameras in use, even if you have to buy a fake $20 one. Maybe some stickers/signs on the fence too. Basically you want to make them go elsewhere. I would not put additional fencing - that would look pretty terrible.

BTW, they can be broken/separated by simply running hard into them. They are slid in and held in place only by the the top/bottom horizontal pieces so if you break/bend it at the mid-point it comes apart. There was a news report on this a couple years back when it was a new fad. They showed some kind of video with it.
Yes I just saw some of the videos.....punk kids with nothing better to do. Electrify it!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I know but after it's installed....how does one separate the panels Don't you have routed rails and posts? A steel reinforced bottom rail? Aren't they co-extruded? Cross rails? They aren't put up and installed with nails like a wooden fence. Maybe he has ranch rails
Nope, just slats that pop into place. Easily dislodged by drunken teens and tropical storms. After Sandy, the slats were all over the neighborhood(s).

Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM

344 posts, read 717,931 times
keel them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: