Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM

20 posts, read 69,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What time did u get the ticket? Whether or not school was in session bc of the holiday, Thursday is a school day and if the sign didnt say holidays are exempt well then you got the ticket for the proper reason.
I received the ticket 10:26 AM.
There are 2 parking signs on the street I was ticketed on:

1. No Stopping 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m./School days (except school buses)
and
2. 3 HR Parking 8AM-4PM Saturday/Sunday, and Holidays.

Even though Holy Ascension Thursday is not a federal holiday, the school was not in session in regards to the 1st parking sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I would add like another poster bring a pic of the sign to show the judge the exact wording.

PLUS go to the Catholic School and ask them for documentation that they were closed that day: a copy of their official school calendar, a brief courtesy letter to the court typed up for you, a copy of a bulletin they sent out to parents advising that school was closed for Holy Ascension Thursday, etc.

Another thing you may try is bring your proof to the Clerk of the Court beforehand and see if s/he will throw out/invalidate the ticket as a mistake and you might not have to even see the judge. In some jurisdictions this works, however I don't have specific experience with TONH, so YMMV.
Thank you for that. I will definitely bring a picture of the sign and I also printed out the online school academic calendar showing school was not in session that day. As for the courtesy letter, I'm not sure if they'll do that lol.

Seeing how anal the system is, I don't think I can take my ticket in advance to the clerk of the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
My ticket ($120) was parking without a permit in TOB parking lot. Your ticket is not worth going to court for. You will only save $40. Read the back of the ticket, it should have instructions on how to appeal it.
On the back of the ticket it states:
Not Guilty Pleas
If you wish to plead not guilty, you may do so by appearing personally on the appearance date shown. You may also mail the ticket to the agency whose address appears on the front of the ticket, after checking off the not guilty box below.
If you plead not guilty, you will be required to appear personally at the agency for a conference, on the date to be set by the agency.

My question is:
There is a date and time for my appearance on the front of the ticket, since I have this, why do I have to mail this ticket in and wait for a "date to be set by the agency"?

Thank you all again for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Yes but Thursday is still a school day and if the sign didnt mention a holiday, then i dont know if you have a case. The sign didnt say "no parking school days except for holidays"- holiday or not, Thursday is a school day. I dont think u have much of a case.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes but Thursday is still a school day and if the sign didnt mention a holiday, then i dont know if you have a case. The sign didnt say "no parking school days except for holidays"- holiday or not, Thursday is a school day. I dont think u have much of a case.
Wow that was quick, thank you for your insight.

Are you saying that all thursday are school days? For instance lets say the kids have winter break for a week. That Thursday is not a holiday but a school day making it illegal to park there, correct? Even when the school is not in session because of a winter break?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
It was not a school day for the school the sign was in front of. The sign is for traffic control on that school's street and has to do with that particular school only, not all schools in the entire hamlet, town of n. hempstead, nassau county, long island, new york state, united states, north america, western hemisphere, world, solar system, milky way galaxy, universe, etc., etc. Capisce?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-14-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ienoch View Post
I received the ticket 10:26 AM.
There are 2 parking signs on the street I was ticketed on:

1. No Stopping 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m./School days (except school buses)
and
2. 3 HR Parking 8AM-4PM Saturday/Sunday, and Holidays.

Even though Holy Ascension Thursday is not a federal holiday, the school was not in session in regards to the 1st parking sign.

Thank you for that. I will definitely bring a picture of the sign and I also printed out the online school academic calendar showing school was not in session that day. As for the courtesy letter, I'm not sure if they'll do that lol.

Seeing how anal the system is, I don't think I can take my ticket in advance to the clerk of the court.

On the back of the ticket it states:
Not Guilty Pleas
If you wish to plead not guilty, you may do so by appearing personally on the appearance date shown. You may also mail the ticket to the agency whose address appears on the front of the ticket, after checking off the not guilty box below.
If you plead not guilty, you will be required to appear personally at the agency for a conference, on the date to be set by the agency.

My question is:
There is a date and time for my appearance on the front of the ticket, since I have this, why do I have to mail this ticket in and wait for a "date to be set by the agency"?

Thank you all again for your inputs.
Definitely bring your proof the judge can see to show you aren't guilty: what the sign for the day of the week you received the ticket said (I assume a weekday) and that school was not in session. Just "say so" that school was off he may not listen to your side of the story. A letter would be a nice touch. It wouldn't hurt to ask. However the printout could suffice I guess. Make sure the html headers are on the border to show the url where it comes from if he wants to look on the internet for himself.

As for the "not guilty" court date thing ... if the date already on the ticket is convenient for you, then go on that day. If it is not, then mail in the ticket for the conference date. Mail the ticket in a way that you have proof of mailing ... US certified mail return receipt requested is convenient and cheaper than FedEx. Also make sure and mail it before the ticket is due. Some are due quickly; like 2 weeks even.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It was not a school day for the school the sign was in front of.
Yes but if the sign was allowed to be disregarded on holidays, the sign would have made mention of it. I have seen plenty of signs that will say like "no parking except sundays and holidays" so in that case it would be fine to park on a holiday. This sign doesnt mention any holidays therefore if a holiday falls during the week and the school is closed, you are still not allowed to park- since holidays arent exempt.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yes but if the sign was allowed to be disregarded on holidays, the sign would have made mention of it. I have seen plenty of signs that will say like "no parking except sundays and holidays" so in that case it would be fine to park on a holiday. This sign doesnt mention any holidays therefore if a holiday falls during the week and the school is closed, you are still not allowed to park- since holidays arent exempt.
Well holiday aside; just by the fact the first sign says focuses on school days, and since TECHNICALLY it wasn't a school day because school was NOT in session, don't you think I have a shot?

lol I wanna thank you all for your continuous responses.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
A holiday cannot be by definition a "school day."

Ask your teacher friends if they ever have to teach on a holiday that is on the school calendar for their particular school. NO. They don't. If they showed up, the school would not be open for them to teach! So it is generally understood that a school holiday does not count as a school day so there is no need to add additional verbiage about holidays to the sign.

PS: See my post again. I added something!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Different strokes. I respect your opinion but I dont interpret the sign how you do- apparently neither did the cop. I'm curious how this pans out for the OP.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ienoch View Post
Well holiday aside; just by the fact the first sign says focuses on school days, and since TECHNICALLY it wasn't a school day because school was NOT in session, don't you think I have a shot?

lol I wanna thank you all for your continuous responses.
I wouldn't be surprised if "school days" didn't even apply to the private school.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island