Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM

198 posts, read 779,402 times

Advertisements

this is a big giant park, what about the small ones like say Islp Grange in Sayville? I would contact town of Islip or parks and recreation people ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
this is a big giant park, what about the small ones like say Islp Grange in Sayville? I would contact town of Islip or parks and recreation people ?
I have actually been to kids' birthday parties at Sunken Meadow and they were nice. As for Islip Grange, isn't that a historical recreation type place? You should look up their phone number and call them and they would be able to tell you what you need to do.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
Are you an Islip or Broohhaven resident? Are their parks resident only after Memorial Day?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,564 times
A friend did this last weekend. Town of Huntington though. I know they allow it but sounds like you live in TOI. It was perfect for 5 yr olds. She had games like sack races, three legged races, pin the tail on the donkey, etc. Kids loved it!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
I did this once and it worked out great! The kids were a little older than 5 though, but I told the parents they were welcome to hang out. It was a small party, maybe 12 or so kids and all girls. I didn't notify the park or anything. We just took over a couple of picnic tables. I made some side dishes and we got pizza. We brought some frisbees and a few other outdoor type of toys and I had 2 craft projects going on at the same time. I think it might have been decorating tee shirts with fabric paint and maybe the other one was decorating a flower pot with acrylic glitter paint (can't remember for sure) with sponges. It was cheap and easy. I had a cooler with ice, soft drinks, and a birthday sheet cake. Bought everything that I needed at a party store and made my own goody bags for the kids using Easter baskets that I bought at CVS after the holiday when they were reduced in price.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM

138 posts, read 270,627 times
I have seen children' s birthday parties at holtsville ecology site...you do have to get a permit, so that you are guaranteed one of 2 seated canapy areas. I dont think it costs anything. Its nice and parents can take their kids to the zoo afterwards.

I have also seen some at hecksher state park. I believe it is field 6 but not sure. There is a really nice childrens park and then there is a small beach right there.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Sunken Ghetto? Hope she likes salsa music.

Charging your guests to get into your venue is beyond tacky. Expect a lot of "regrets".

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sunken Meadow State Park is nice. They have an area with picnic tables and grills that is right near a kid playground. Go early and claim as many tables as you need. The only cost is the parking fee:

Sunken Meadow State Park (Governor Alfred E. Smith) - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

I would put that on the invitation so parents aren't taken by surprise and not have the cash on them.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sunken Ghetto? Hope she likes salsa music.

Charging your guests to get into your venue is beyond tacky. Expect a lot of "regrets".
I didn't hear any salsa music (or any music) going. It was nice and quiet around the playground when I was there. Maybe the beach gets rowdy? The golf course?

What do you mean "charging your guests?" It's NYS that charges for parking, not anyone who is hosting an event there. They do it to everybody. A lot of other beaches, golf courses, and parks do too, such as Town of Hempstead Parks in Nassau County where many people have parties and gatherings. I have never had a problem going to a party at any park that also has a parking fee and I have never viewed/accused the host of being tacky. Many families have annual reunions at Lido Beach park and they have a parking fee and those places rent out the mushroom shaped cabanas MONTHS and MONTHS in advance and they are PACKED. I think people are too busy having fun rather than accusing the hosts of being tacky because the FACILITY has a MANDATORY PARKING FEE.

People who are too petty, cheap or broke to pay for parking can either hitch a ride in someone else's car or stay home and tightly clutch their $8.00 and write in their diary entry for the day "SAVED the cost of a child's birthday gift and a whole $8.00 for a parking fee. Tough luck on my kid. Now I need to see if the paper has coupons for boxed wine and I can put my savings to good use instead of spending it on my kid's socializing. Hehehe!"

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
what about brookwood hall In Islip? They have a playground there too and I know you can picnic there.Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs

Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM

159 posts, read 408,474 times
Too much stress having to deal with permits, hoping the weather cooperates and coordinating games and stuff to keep them occupied. I say you throw a bowling party. Did you say you were near Sayville? Call Sayville Bowl. They can tailor your party any way you like depending on your budget. From just bowling to bowling, pizza, cake, etc and other kid activities. 5 year olds will have a blast bowling. 2-3 hours tops and the best part is you can just walk away when your done and no clean up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island