Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,680,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Man thats a great location for a house. You can't beat it when the pictures of the INTERIOR cannot hide the views of the sound.

Someone will have a gem.

Perfect spot.

Keep one wall up and youd keep the low taxes too.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:22 PM

87 posts, read 270,612 times
I think I want to live in your imaginary house! I would like to sip morning tea in the bedroom, wander onto my upstairs deck, and watch the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's a neat property and with some updating and improvements could be a great property.

If the home has a solid foundation with proper footings, one could go up a 2nd floor easily. Full 2nd, no dormer. Hardwood flooring throughout. Cedar siding 4 or 5" to the weather with white trim, for a Hampton shingle style cottage home. A balcony off the 2nd floor master BR & bath (all the better to enjoy drowsy sunrises or intimate sunsets) under which is situated a 4 sunroom. All Marvin windows and doors -- French wood out to the sunroom.

I think I went over budget! LOL

Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
UP ISLAND
Southold Town, on the North Fork of eastern Long Island, was settled in 1640. The farmers and long term natives refer to those from the west (City folk and suburbanites) as from "up island."

Remnants of the old English accents derived from the early settlers (who came from New England) are fading, but still heard.

For decades, if your family wasn't from many generations back, you were considered a newcomer.

Now, changing work and commuting patterns have seen the semi-suburbanization of the area, and recently the large real estate agencies are moving much richer Hamptonite types to the North Fork, which is where the "trade parade" of plumbers, electricians and other skilled workers used to leave from every morning going to the South Fork, where they could charge much higher prices for their work.

The pleasant North Fork is still largely rural-farms and vineyards, and is still a far cry from the crowded suburbs further west, and in Nassau and Queens counties at the west "up island" end.

What's causing an exodus of young people from the area is the high cost of living, particularly housing costs.

Last edited by taildrag; 06-04-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
Southold is way too far. It's nice for the weekend drives, which I do with the kids and the wife but whether going to the grocery store or anything else it is a long drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island