Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 42,367 times

Advertisements

I am very familiar with the Smithtown area where we are now and know the general Stony Brook/ Setauket area but am curious about South Setauket. Does anyone know anything about the area? My navigation says the house we are looking at is Centereach but the address is SS and it is 3V schools.

Any issues I should be aware of before making an offer? We are a young family with a preschooler and hopefully plan to expand our family soon.

Anything is helpful. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Confirm with the school district that the home's address is actually in TVCSD.
SS is 11720 -- a clever marketing ploy by the developer and some negotiating allowed them to use the name 'South Setauket' despite the mail coming through the Centereach PO.
You'll be in a nice neighborhood close to shopping. It's an affordable way to get the TVCSD.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
There's a neighborhood called South Setauket Park that is just south of Route 347 and is in Centereach. My daughter had a couple of friends who lived there. That neighborhood is huge and must cover nearly a square mile. These kids went to TVSD, so it is in the district, but double check with the town about the house you're interested in just in case.

It's true that geographically speaking there is no "South Setauket" in existence. A clever marketing ploy as stated above.

Because it's Centereach, housing prices are lower than north of Route 347. And most, if not all, of the houses were built by Bill Levitt.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,628 times
Everyone I know who grew up in Centereach tells me it is the capital of white trash. Kind of like East Levittown. South Setauket is good and 3V is a very good district.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 AM

I feel like our long and taxing home search could be over with this home so I want to be sure it's the one. Does anyone think the neighboring Centereach homes are going to be a problem? Once you leave the neighborhood of new homes it's all old, small and poorly kept homes which I can only assume are Centereach.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 AM

I don't mean to sound prejudice but how you care for your home says a lot about you.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,077 times
Sounds like you are a bit hoytee..you wouldn't be happy living in centereach....errr I mean s setauket. If it bothers you before you move...imagine how you will feel when your mail has a centereach zip code...oh the horror.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,035 times
My wife and I bought a home in Centereach last year across from Centereach park the area is very nice we love our home and the neighbors we have met are nice and care about their homes and the neighborhood we live in

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvch123 View Post
I feel like our long and taxing home search could be over with this home so I want to be sure it's the one. Does anyone think the neighboring Centereach homes are going to be a problem? Once you leave the neighborhood of new homes it's all old, small and poorly kept homes which I can only assume are Centereach.
New homes? Are you referrering to the Mcmansions off Pond? I can't think of anything else new in North Centertauket South Setaukereach.

You're looking in Centereach. Centereach zip. South of 347. If you're worried about the Centereach neighborhood adjacent to the one you're considering, don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM

254 posts, read 436,275 times
If you are in the 3 Village SD, you will be ok. There are sections of PJS that are in 3 Village SD as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island