Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM

70 posts, read 180,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Ok, OP, then how about instead of coming out here and asking us what the cost is (in which there are other threads which discuss the same thing), how about actually picking up the phone and getting some estimates from ACTUAL POOL COMPANIES???

Funny how your 1st post already assumes these other debates would pop up. Why pick a new name to ask this question since you are already intimately aware of this forum? That's the real reason I gave the response I did.

Quite frankly I am amazed how many people come out here and ask questions that a little bit of easy research can be answered on there own.
you said it. some of the questions that are asked can be googled and found just as quick if not quicker than it takes to write up a post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,126 times
I read the previous threads on costs and in 10 pages, ALL of the talk went to issues from petty fights over "love pools, hate pools," resale, cost for filling it in, salt chlorinators, landscaping, buying the neighbor kids snacks, etc. Only 3 or 4 posts about costs. I thought I could post a question here BEFORE jerking contractors around for quotes. It's amazing you intentionally ignore the question in the post, provide a dumb response and then find a way to blame it on me.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 12,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qnz2LI View Post
you said it. some of the questions that are asked can be googled and found just as quick if not quicker than it takes to write up a post.

Great, another informative reply. Guess I'll give up. Google says $30-$50k by the way. It was a big stretch on my part to think someone might have put in a pool on LI recently and might have insight about the process.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Gunite? Liner? Fiberglass?
Any extras like stairs into the pool? Automatic cover? Heated? Salt System?

There are pool & spa messageboards where some of the guys are installers so they might be able to give you an idea.

The pool I'm interested in was quoted at 125k, so it can vary greatly depending on your wants and the specifics.

*off topic, but where I live, an inground pool is a positive from a resale standpoint. We're one of the few homes in my neighborhood without a pool.*

Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus kid View Post
I read the previous threads on costs and in 10 pages, ALL of the talk went to issues from petty fights over "love pools, hate pools," resale, cost for filling it in, salt chlorinators, landscaping, buying the neighbor kids snacks, etc. Only 3 or 4 posts about costs. I thought I could post a question here BEFORE jerking contractors around for quotes. It's amazing you intentionally ignore the question in the post, provide a dumb response and then find a way to blame it on me.
Did you consider actually calling some local pool installation companies??? Call 4 or 5. If they all come back with basically the same cost, give or take a few thousand dollars, and one comes in much higher, you'll know who is ripping you off.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Gunite? Liner? Fiberglass?
Any extras like stairs into the pool? Automatic cover? Heated? Salt System?

There are pool & spa messageboards where some of the guys are installers so they might be able to give you an idea.

The pool I'm interested in was quoted at 125k, so it can vary greatly depending on your wants and the specifics.

*off topic, but where I live, an inground pool is a positive from a resale standpoint. We're one of the few homes in my neighborhood without a pool.*
Well of course, everyone knows a pool is a selling point in Confusion!!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Well of course, everyone knows a pool is a selling point in Confusion!!!!
Ahhh don't hate, MrBitterness. Maybe a quick dip in a pool will cool you down.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ahhh don't hate, MrBitterness. Maybe a quick dip in a pool will cool you down.
I wasn't hating at all, I promise.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I wasn't hating at all, I promise.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Did you consider actually calling some local pool installation companies??? Call 4 or 5. If they all come back with basically the same cost, give or take a few thousand dollars, and one comes in much higher, you'll know who is ripping you off.
No contractor will give you a price for anything over the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island