Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Manhasset has a low income housing project which lowers per capita income.
Agreed I'm sure the section 8 project there drags the median down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:54 PM

295 posts, read 346,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
There are tree-lined streets. We noticed that was the biggest difference compared to a place like Hicksville where we lived for 8 years. I don't know what's ugly about here - it's just a lot of homes everywhere with some shopping centers thrown in. Hicksville was a lot more industrial too - a whole different aura about it. And compared to Syosset, we don't have the big commercialized areas. Talk about too many shopping centers...

Riff-raff in Jericho too huh? Keep going - I'm learning a lot.
No, Jericho is on the North Shore. Not central Nassau like garden City.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
No, Jericho is on the North Shore. Not central Nassau like garden City.
are we talking technicalities? Not according to a map it's not north shore. The LIE literally runs through it. Syosset is even further north.

Do the riff-raff care if it's considered central Nassau?

There are undesirables hanging around Hicksville LIRR and Westbury, but to consider all of central Nassau the same is quite a generalization (or just "what you've heard"). Bethpage & Old Bethpage are nice too.

Last edited by ovi8; 08-07-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM

295 posts, read 346,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
are we talking technicalities? Not according to a map it's not north shore. The LIE literally runs through it. Syosset is even further north.

Do the riff-raff care if it's considered central Nassau?
We're talking that Jericho is considred North Shore on all levels, and Graden City and Planiview are not. Jericho and Garden City are acceptable. Plainview on the other hand, is a different animal. Literally and figuratively.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM

42 posts, read 73,599 times
I meant more in terms of driving down old country rd/south oyster bay rd/mannetto hill rd. Doesn't really looking appealing when looking at the neighborhood. Mannetto Hill Rd still has a few stumps and raised sidewalks from Sandy. The old Ihop and Burger King are also an eyesore. The Burger King is unfortunately becoming a Panera, but at least it won't be an empty building

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
We're talking that Jericho is considred North Shore on all levels, and Graden City and Planiview are not. Jericho and Garden City are acceptable. Plainview on the other hand, is a different animal. Literally and figuratively.
Apparently it's up for discussion, because Plainview is considered North Shore too: North Shore (Long Island) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I'm still curious what your real reason for bias is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234567 View Post
I meant more in terms of driving down old country rd/south oyster bay rd/mannetto hill rd. Doesn't really looking appealing when looking at the neighborhood. Mannetto Hill Rd still has a few stumps and raised sidewalks from Sandy. The old Ihop and Burger King are also an eyesore. The Burger King is unfortunately becoming a Panera, but at least it won't be an empty building
I agree about the old Ihop site as it has been that way for many years now. I don't know how there still have been no takers although BK closed because of lease reasons and it just may be too expensive to be in those 2 spaces. I dont' like Panera either. Other towns like Syosset have had many closings too, and right on Jericho Tpke. For the longest time Jackson Ave. was undriveable. Same eyesores - but I wouldn't call the towns ugly because of that. If that's all it took I'd hate to hear what you call some real issues elsewhere.

Last edited by ovi8; 08-07-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Median Individual income is $25 per hour or around $52,000 per year, where is the link to household income?

http://stats.bls.gov/ro2/oesnassuf.pdf

Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM

American FactFinder - Search --> advanced search --> town name/zip --> topics --> people --> income --> households

Last edited by ovi8; 08-07-2013 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 AM

90 posts, read 216,835 times
this is basically the same as you will find on the last census. The fact is the very large majority of long island HHIs are not over 2-3hundred k as many threads on here lead you to believe. The median HHI by county is less than 100k for both N and S. That means that a fill 49 percent of all HHIs on LI are less that 100k. So by CD metrics half of long island is in dire poverty

Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM

283 posts, read 581,836 times
I think on average, HHI is quite a bit more than 120k. There are a lot of retired folks in Plainview, which obviously affect those numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island