Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,726,852 times

Advertisements

Where I am, a monthly to Penn is $242, whereas it's $180 to Jamaica.

Like I said, to me, any possible time savings going through Penn would be negligible (if it's even faster-- when I did that trip, Jamaica felt faster).

To each his own, though. To the OP, I would just try both and see what works best for you. As you can see, some people prefer going through Penn, and others prefer going through Jamaica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 AM

694 posts, read 1,204,555 times
I think taking the train to Jamaica and then transferring to E is a preferable option, time-wise, the OP might shave only a few minutes, but cost-wise, it's $744 a year, and the few times I have done it, the E goes fast in the morning, and there are always seats at the Sutphin Blvd station. True, the LIRR cars are more comfortable, but honestly, if you can avoid dealing with all the foot traffic at Penn, that's a bonus. Walking to the office is a great idea if weather permits, I love doing that, but hate that I have to swerve through the crowds, it's not the distance as much that bothers me, although, my brother has been doing this walk for years to his office on 47th and Park. Someone I work with (the office is on the 6th and 55th), is also walking every day.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM

63 posts, read 152,488 times
I'm looking at the stops the E train makes and some stations are labeled saying that the trains don't always stop there. Is there a way to find out which trains bypass these stations, thereby making it more of an express train?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 AM

655 posts, read 1,062,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
I'm looking at the stops the E train makes and some stations are labeled saying that the trains don't always stop there. Is there a way to find out which trains bypass these stations, thereby making it more of an express train?
If you are commuting during rush hours/during the day you will be fine. The E runs express for a stretch in Queens during rush hours so if you are catching it at Sutphin there's the Van Wyck stop and then Kew Gardens which is when express service begins and ends at Queens Plaza. The E is very crowded in Queens during rush hours but you should be OK getting on at Sutphin. So basically all E trains are express until late night service begins when it switches to local which if you commute during regular working hours you won't have to worry about.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
Wikipedia is great for this kind of info: E (New York City Subway service) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cliffnotes version: During rush hours, the E skips a dozen stops in Queens.

Last edited by bigjretrac; 08-22-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM

110 posts, read 215,542 times
what about a commute to wall stret area? was told to take the train to atlantic terminal then the 4 train a few stops. was wondering if i can take the LIRR to jamaica then transfer to the J to broad street

Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,769,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
what about a commute to wall stret area? was told to take the train to atlantic terminal then the 4 train a few stops. was wondering if i can take the LIRR to jamaica then transfer to the J to broad street
sure you can. If you want to make your trip a lot longer just for fun...go for it!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,248,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Which 53rd Street station? The E train stops at three of them: 53rd/Seventh, 53rd/Fifth, 53rd/Lex.

If it's the former two, it may be a lot faster just to go to Penn and transfer to the E there (although more expensive). The E train takes up to 50 minutes to get to 53rd/Lex from Jamaica, taking in the transfer and wait times.

It's usually about 20 minutes between Jamaica and Penn, and then another 15 minutes on the E.

50 minutes? I take the E at Union Turpike and get off at 23rd/Ely. It takes only 25 minutes and 53rd/Lex is the first stop in Manhattan on the E train. Union Turnpike and Jamaica Center are not 25 minutes apart so it shouldn't take almost an hour to get from Jamaica to 53rd/Lex. The transfer from the LIRR to the E is quick and wait time should be 5 minutes unless the OP can time it right.

The downside is that the E is CONSTANTLY slow in the morning. Every day this week there's been "train traffic" for whatever reason delaying my commute by 15-20 minutes.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The J train looks deceptively fast on the map. I would just take the train to Atlantic Terminal. But, you know what? It doesn't hurt to try-- I could be wrong

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

192 posts, read 355,289 times
Quote:
I used to practice law in the city (i'm now mostly in Westchester and LI) and had to get from the Brooklyn courts to the Manhattan courts. I found that the Chambers St stops on the 2/3 were just as far from Atlantic Terminal as they were from Penn. If you're going south of Chambers, Atlantic might be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island