Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
This is exactly why I believe that most of these "allergies" will mysteriously go away by 5th grade. Can you really picture having an "allergy table" for kids older than 10-12? Or even high school?
By 5th grade the allergy kids are capable of recognizing what allergens to stay away from. They don't mysteriously go away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
The problem with your replies, the importswife, is that you keep missing the whole point of those sources. The AAP link refutes your comment that doctors are telling parents not to withhold allergy-causing foods.

Understand again the caveat - ""unless the infant has experienced some type of allergic reaction".

Put it another way - AAP is saying that if you see signs of allergic reactions, don't give them those foods. Your statement that parents should not withhold foods is not AAP's position. There is no way for you to talk around it.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The problem with your replies, the importswife, is that you keep missing the whole point of those sources. The AAP link refutes your comment that doctors are telling parents not to withhold allergy-causing foods.

Understand again the caveat - ""unless the infant has experienced some type of allergic reaction".

Put it another way - AAP is saying that if you see signs of allergic reactions, don't give them those foods. Your statement that parents should not withhold foods is not AAP's position. There is no way for you to talk around it.

Is this not your post in red?!?

Many pediatricians recommend that all kids stay away from peanuts, even those that don't yet show obvious signs of allergies

Clearly if your infant/toddler/child shows signs of an allergic reaction, you should speak with your MD for further testing. Duh. Your idea that many pediatricians tell patients to withhold giving peanuts or the like because of the potential risk for allergic reactions is what I'm disputing. That is not the case these days as stated in the AAP since 2008.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Use your common sense. The fact that the AAAAI's had to come up with its recommendation and "get the message out to pediatricians" (their words) means that there are many pediatricians who tell kids to stay away from these foods. Hence, the need to get the message out and convince them to do otherwise. Get it? Again, you misunderstand your own post.

And again don't try to clean up your post with red ink - "refraining from these foods/ingredients because people think they or their child is having an allergic reaction does more harm than good" - which is not what the AAP has stated in its guidelines.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Use your common sense. The fact that the AAAAI's had to come up with its recommendation and "get the message out to pediatricians" (their words) means that there are many pediatricians who tell kids to stay away from these foods. Hence, the need to get the message out and convince them to do otherwise. Get it? Again, you misunderstand your own post.

And again don't try to clean up your post with red ink - "refraining from these foods/ingredients because people think they or their child is having an allergic reaction does more harm than good" - which is not what the AAP has stated in its guidelines.
Well, hopefully buy the end of next year you'll have your answer.

Again, another article (with studies cited) from Time Magazine. (although I doubt you're reading any of my links.)

Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM

I think you are not reading your own links for you not to have noticed such an obvious answer.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM

36 posts, read 142,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
Lokks like proudvets little angel will have to wait till he/she gets home to enjoy their skippy. Know your facts before spewing fictional statements.

"My little angel" will continue to enjoy peanut butter sandwiches and snacks where he/we please up to and including "peanut Free Schools". And Im not sure if the fictional spew comment was directed at me and if so, to what in particular?

Remember the days when parents knowingly exposed their children to things because they knew it would strengthen their immune system? i.e Chicken Pox Parties. Thats when parents were tough and kids were tougher. Now all these flower power babies and grand babies are swearing off gluten, lactose, meat, and all kinds of other things because of all these hyped epidemics.

Wow, in the 5min between writing ^^^ paragraph I googled "rate of peanut allergies in US" and a ton of info stating that over the last decade, peanut allergies have more than tripled. Its all hype and hysteria. Sure maybe there are a few bad allergic reactions, but not to the extent to which schools need to be banning a food. A lot of it is just parents being hypochondriacs. They need something wrong with themselves or children because it gets them attention, gives them small talk info, makes them a part of something bigger than themselves.

To prove it even further, there were only 11 deaths related to food allergies in 2005 according to the CDC. Not quite hysteria demanding. If you want to read something,

Meredith Broussard: Food Allergy Deaths: Less Common Than You Think

The lefties usually read huffington and probably are usually the ones making a big stink about these kinds of things. Nice piece in there about how the manufacturer of the EPI pen actually had a lobby group that was also an "educational" group over-estimating food reactions to up their sales... hhhmmm..oh and I also read that more people are killed by lawn mowers in the US than from food allergies.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Reading the latest medical recomendations it amazes me how they keep changing the rules. When our daughters were young (currently mid 20's) I think the only thing they said was no wheat cereal before 6 months, just rice. Perhaps the medical community should standarize the script so people can follow it more clearly.

Now because of all the food demands place on the public education system we will simply start feeding the children Soylent Green which will meet kosher/hallal requirements and soylent red or yellow for the vegatarians/veegans...problem solved

Sorry to get off topic but this post gave me a chuckle. At the end of the movie (or the book) Charleton Heston had a revelation that soylent green was definitely not vegetarian.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
it is only about covering your ass...

the number of peanut allergy deaths are less than the amount of people killed by lightning a year.

but like george carlin used to say

every year hundreds of thousands of people die from smoking so what do they do ?

they ban artificial sweetner because a rat died.

the fact is whatever is the flavor of the month and the media promotes and publicizes is what gets acted on as parents zoom in on it.

the tests for peanut allergies are overly sensitive and show positive so many times where in reality no symptoms even exist when exposed to peanuts.

as usual it is much ado about nutin...... if peanuts are on the radar than the evil peanut must be protected against.

forget about the fact that actual reactions are 4x more common from wheat , glutten and shellfish.

today everyone sues for everything so anything that is high profile goes on the radar.

thinking back to when we were kids and even the toys we had shows how times have changed.

when i was a kid we all had that wood burning toy set.

you know the one where the tip was like 5,0000 degrees and it had that tiny little cord that was only long enough to come out of the outlet but not long enough to clear the drapes. ha ha ha

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-12-2013 at 03:26 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 04:26 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Sorry to get off topic but this post gave me a chuckle. At the end of the movie (or the book) Charleton Heston had a revelation that soylent green was definitely not vegetarian.
I know thats why I stated it would meet kosher/hallal requirements....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island