Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
So if Suzy is in so much danger. She should be home schooled.

Sorry...no child should have their life infringed upon by others.
So your child's inherent right to eat peanut butter at school trumps Suzy's right to a free public education?

Either way, somebody's right to something gets infringed upon - the school, in weighing Joey's right to eat peanut butter against Suzy's right to attend public school without risk of asphyxiation, has decided that Suzy's right wins. This isn't an "individual rights vs. nanny state" issue - it's a question of one group's (peanut butter eating kids) rights weighed against another's (highly allergic kids). If the school was banning peanut butter because it's fattening, or banning sugary foods so the diabetic kids won't feel bad because they can't eat them, or something like that, I'd agree with you, but a kid's right to attend public school in safety, to me, is far more significant than your kid's right to have PB&J for lunch.

Edited to Add: I agree with many who have noted that allergies and "sensitivities" are perhaps over-diagnosed and over-reported, but since I'm not Suzy's doctor, it's not my place to decide that her parents are hypochondriacs and it's cool for Joey to sit next to her and eat peanut butter. If parents say a kid can't be in the room with peanut butter, I think the school needs to take that seriously and react accordingly, because any other course of action would put a kid who IS severely allergic and whose parents AREN'T overreacting at serious risk.

Last edited by InfoSeeker52; 09-11-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
No it isnt.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:

Yes, the weaker kids with allergies should be eaten by dingoes.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Darwinism, baby.

Although shouldn't Darwinism ALSO weed out the kids who are such special snowflakes that they'll only eat one thing for lunch? I'm pretty sure entire species go extinct over that type of behavior.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
As terrible as it sounds, natural selection no longer applies to humans.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:

Wouldn't it be Suzy's right to an education being infringed on? How is not being able to eat a certain food item for x amount of hours per day an infringement on your rights?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Why? What if my child could only digest peanut butter? Sound outrageous...just as outrageous a thought that every "peanut allergy kid" is going to die because some other student ate a peanut.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Not unless being in the same room as a sugar-laden product could cause issues with the diabetic child. All of the other restrictions you site are not related in any way to a documented health issue, so they have no real bearing on the topic at hand.

Food allergies are a legitimate health problem, and need be accommodated in public schools. It is a disability in the same way children who require the use of wheelchairs have a disability. Would you be so up in arms about accommodating them?
Funny, all these posts and yours stands out. I am sorry but ones inability to eat a food item is an inconvienience for that person not a disability..

And if you spoke to those that "have" to use wheelchairs many would say your only disabled if you choose to be but those would most likely be older kids with a strong sense of themselves.

Everybody can't be a victum...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
As terrible as it sounds, natural selection no longer applies to humans.
Considering some people I have met it's a pity it doesn't....

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Why? What if my child could only digest peanut butter? Sound outrageous...just as outrageous a thought that every "peanut allergy kid" is going to die because some other student ate a peanut.
Seriously, I used to be skeptical but as a coach I've seen some scary, near fatal reactions to very minimal contact. Not "weak" kids per se, some top notch athletes and strong as mules. Part of socialization means we make reasonable accommodations for the greater good. Easiest method is restrict some higher-risk foods. Not perfect but it's reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island