Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you can get out of jury duty if you are not salaried?
My mother works part time and is paid by the hour.

Obviously if she goes to jury duty and gets selected it would be a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Nope

Old 09-22-2013, 01:36 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Doesn't matter one bit. But, if you have kids under 18 and are the primary care giver, they'll let you go.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:20 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
No they wont. Was on jury duty and saw a woman called even when she said no one could care for her kids

Old 09-22-2013, 03:21 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
They will usually let you go if you are primary care giver for under 16 kids.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Or you could do what someone I know does, ignore the notice and throw it out.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Does anyone know if you can get out of jury duty if you are not salaried?
My mother works part time and is paid by the hour.

Obviously if she goes to jury duty and gets selected it would be a problem
No usually judges in their ivory towers don't care one bit if you won't get paid.

The only people they will take that excuse from are people who own their own business and say they cannot open their store, their car repair shop, their restaurant, their medical practice, etc., etc. and it will mean a considerable disruption in their life. Those the judge will take seriously. If you are a temp or a p/t hourly worker or you work in a full time job where they won't pay you if you are on jury duty (you have to take a vacation day; jobs don't have to pay you if they don't want to), forget it. If you try and get out of it on a lost income basis, the judge will usually give you a lecture.

The best way to get out of it (after the judge tells you "no" you cannot get out of it because you won't get paid -- at least try) on that basis is this: the judge will question you after they tell you a little something about the case and one of the questions is something like, "After what you have heard, do you think you can be fair and impartial in making a decision on the merits of this case?"

Answer something along these lines: "No, frankly I believe I cannot be impartial towards the government's case when the government is deliberately causing extremely negative consequences in my life by forcing me to do this and preventing me from making a living and keeping a roof over my head and food on my table." LOL. The judge will usually dismiss you with a roar. Even if they don't, no District Attorney in their right mind is going to choose you for the jury.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM

332 posts, read 613,941 times
Some of the cases you are on could be civil suits ie malpractice. What then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No usually judges in their ivory towers don't care one bit if you won't get paid.

The only people they will take that excuse from are people who own their own business and say they cannot open their store, their car repair shop, their restaurant, their medical practice, etc., etc. and it will mean a considerable disruption in their life. Those the judge will take seriously. If you are a temp or a p/t hourly worker or you work in a full time job where they won't pay you if you are on jury duty (you have to take a vacation day; jobs don't have to pay you if they don't want to), forget it. If you try and get out of it on a lost income basis, the judge will usually give you a lecture.

The best way to get out of it (after the judge tells you "no" you cannot get out of it because you won't get paid -- at least try) on that basis is this: the judge will question you after they tell you a little something about the case and one of the questions is something like, "After what you have heard, do you think you can be fair and impartial in making a decision on the merits of this case?"

Answer something along these lines: "No, frankly I believe I cannot be impartial towards the government's case when the government is deliberately causing extremely negative consequences in my life by forcing me to do this and preventing me from making a living and keeping a roof over my head and food on my table." LOL. The judge will usually dismiss you with a roar. Even if they don't, no District Attorney in their right mind is going to choose you for the jury.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Say, "Since I am being forced against my will by the judge to serve and will not be able to make a living during this trial and will be totally incomeless and will have to worry about getting evicted or foreclosed on and will be living a daily nightmare of not being able to provide for my family, I will be worrying too much and will not be thinking about the merits of either side's case at all and will simply do anything and everything I can to make the jury's decision go as fast as possible to get out of here as fast as possible." No side in their right mind will pick you for the jury.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 09-22-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 06:58 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
I have had jury duty and been seated twice, once in a civil matter and once a criminal. I saw individuals answer questions in both cases in such a way as to display a bias and be excuse. One woman selected on the civil case had a melt down after selection and "could not pass judgement on her fellow man" she thought she could...they excused her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island