Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 AM

13,070 posts, read 18,286,760 times

Advertisements

Here is the LI realty website. Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate Select a town, like Franklin Square for example, if you go to the detail section and scroll down you will see the lot size. As I and others have already stated, you will find virtually nothing in your price range in Nassau County and while I am not all that familiar with Suffolk County, I doubt that you will have much success there either. \

Long Island is a tough market (read expensive) for those just starting out and with your desire for privacy the "wish list" has now increased the cost exponentially. Cost aside, Long Island is very densely populated, in fact years ago it was more populated than 2/3 of the rest of the US states. The history of LI housing was seeded in Levittown just after WW II (google Levittown) and affordable homes were the goal for the masses.

I would suggest that you look toward much more rural areas like upstate NY for your wish list. Westchester is just as bad as LI. Of course, your spouses' job may dictate a change in either your wish list or pocketbook as you need to live near where your job is or near to where you can find employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 AM

791 posts, read 1,629,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraColleen View Post
I am not familiar with Long Island.... and unfortunately unlike many of you probably, I don't have a lot of time and money where I can burn gas, drive around and randomly explore different areas. This is also not a common criteria so it's extremely difficult to find pre-existing discussion boards or chatrooms on this topic.

Believe it or not, i'm not a realtor, Long Island homeowner or even an LI resident so i'm not familiar with real estate sale prices or any of this stuff. Checking real estate website would likely be the next step but real estate websites only give picture of certain angles of a property but i'm curious about the whole neighborhood personality characteristics. I'm looking for suggestions of areas by people who are familiar with various areas there. I do appreciate the feedback that has been given so far.

Since some of you guys are taking it upon yourselves to 'read me', here is some more information about me. I'm in my early 30's, married, pregnant, work full-time and attend [graduate school] part-time.
If you don't have the time/money to drive around burning gas, Long Island in general may not be the place for you. That's pretty much what we do here.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,130,327 times
You will only find what you are looking for in an area with half acre or acre zoning. Based on your budget, you can possibly find something from Greenlawn to Smithtown BUT....it will be a real fixer upper at best. Buying on a main road would help with privacy, no real "neighbors" and keep the price down.I don't think it's odd for someone to want privacy and not any real neighbors. Some people love privacy, nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island