Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
People will spend a lot of money on cars. I know a few people who drive luxury cars, and they aren't that well off.

Call me crazy again, but I think having summers off is overrated. Days off during holidays or winter breaks don't really count since most teachers are stuck grading papers. My mother was a private school teacher in NYC years ago so I've seen this first hand. Other than summers off, teachers have zero flexibility in their work schedule with the same 7-3 Mon thru Fri schedule. Right now I've been doing hospital clinical for school and one of the biggest perks for the employees is having more control of their schedule where they often have the choice of working 10 hours/4 days a week, 8 hours/5 days a week, mornings, afternoons, evenings. When I worked in fashion retail I had more job flexibility than my mother because I could request a certain day off and work another day during to make up for it. Personally, I'd rather have more flexibility with my work schedule than summers off. Also, when summer is the only time you have sufficient time off that means you can only take vacation during the summer rather then whenever you want during the year. I much prefer to go to the Caribbean or Florida during January than July, which you can't do when you're a teacher!
I suggest you never have children then, because people who have children are also "slaves" to the school calendar. And, boy, do the airlines KNOW it when it is spring break on LI! You will see how they literally TRIPLE the airfares to Florida so they can make their bundle on bringing the kids to see grandma and grandpa on one of the few times a year it is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:33 PM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
As to teacher's cars - I don't see how this would be reflective of a single teacher's salary. Most teachers are married I would suspect and thus have spouses who earn a salary as well!! Some people spend more on their car than other things. There are many districts where the high school kids have better cars than the teachers! But sure, there are some teachers who have "luxury" cars, just like there are some town employees who have nice cars or cops or any other occupation - you'll find people who spend a lot on their cars.

Saw a notice on our district's website that the pension contribution for '14/'15 is going up a lot for the district. Here's a history:

The TRS employer contribution rate has risen steadily since 2002/03:
• 2002-03 0.36 percent
• 2003-04 2.52 percent
• 2004-05 5.63 percent
• 2005-06 7.97 percent
• 2006-07 8.6 percent
• 2007-08 8.73 percent
• 2008-09 7.63 percent
• 2009-10 6.19 percent
• 2010-11 8.62 percent
• 2011-12 11.11 percent
• 2012-13 11.84 percent
• 2013-14 16.25 percent
• 2014-15 17.25-17.75 percent (estimated)

School districts are not allowed to declare bankruptcy. Taxpayers must cover expenses not covered by other sources.
Thanks 7Cat, do you know if your district borrowing to cover the increases.

Those numbers are indicative of a very serious budget problem with pensions you have to wonder what it takes to get a school boards attention. Many districts are covering these increases by borrowing well into the future, big mistake.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
I am not going to debate salaries, benefits, or pensions, but I can tell you that the quality of instruction and intelligence of the teachers, in general, was much better on LI than here in NC. We moved here with a 4 year old, and 9 and 11 year-olds, so I saw the whole spectrum. Except in the magnet schools that my older son attended, some of the teachers were downright illiterate, especially in the middle schools.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:24 PM

34 posts, read 31,084 times
What I really can't stand is the teachers I know like my neighbor across the street, cries poverty when she needed to get a new garage door ... she now picks up her kid at my bus stop when she get home ...3:25.... wearing her Burberry bag, Gucci sunglasses and Cartier watch. A 11 year teacher making $116,000 teaching elementary school. Oh and she made sure people knew she went to CA and stopped into Rodeo Dr. and visited Disneyland with her kids during the summer.

Do we really have to pay that much to these people for a quality education? Are 90 percent of our students in these district going to ivy league schools when they graduate?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
/\

I won't argue her compensation seems excessive but I am wondering what does her spouse do? Any chance his income is a significant factor to her west coast jaunt and lifestyle?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...te-unions.html

Old 09-03-2015, 03:52 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUser View Post
What I really can't stand is the teachers I know like my neighbor across the street, cries poverty when she needed to get a new garage door ... she now picks up her kid at my bus stop when she get home ...3:25.... wearing her Burberry bag, Gucci sunglasses and Cartier watch. A 11 year teacher making $116,000 teaching elementary school. Oh and she made sure people knew she went to CA and stopped into Rodeo Dr. and visited Disneyland with her kids during the summer.

Do we really have to pay that much to these people for a quality education? Are 90 percent of our students in these district going to ivy league schools when they graduate?
You're apparently living in the same neighbor so stop whining.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:40 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
My sister just retired from the Herricks SD. Her final salary was $125,000. She has a college degree and two masters degrees and had been teaching for 35 years. Who in industry with that level of education and years of service is not making that level of coin? She has an over the top pension but never had profit sharing, year end bonus, stock options, etc. that some one at that level of education and experience would have in private industry. She was good at what she did and she deserves all she got and gets.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:03 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUser View Post

...why do you care? If it bothers you so much, either avoid her or tell her what you think of her. Or you could, you know, complain about it on an Internet forum to a bunch of strangers.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM

321 posts, read 595,951 times
I think the people making all the fuss just made poor career choices.

The only reason I live on Long Island is because I was able to secure a position that paid over the average income of the area. Otherwise I wouldn't live here...

If you're struggling to afford LI and the taxes here... why are you living here?

We have an inexpensive vacation home about 4 hours away and it's like visiting paradise every time we stay there. Why don't we live there? They don't have high-paying jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island