Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 AM

147 posts, read 433,458 times

Advertisements

Took a stroll around these three towns over the weekend and checked out some open houses. Here are my impressions.

1) Plainview seems tight, dense, and houses are tiny.
2) Syosset is a little better with slightly bigger lots and lots of new construction.
3) Jericho homes are slightly older but the lots are immaculate and bigger and houses are farther apart. There is hardly any new construction here. Why is that? Houses are also the most expensive here too.

I am leaning towards Jericho but cannot understand the high prices besides the bigger plots. Does anyone else agree that Jericho feels more upscale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 AM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
If you are considering Plainview, check out Old Bethpage. They share the school district, but Old Bethpage has a more suburban feel than Plainview.

Jericho will command top dollar for the reasons you stated. New construction will equal HIGH property taxes. I'd avoid new construction personally.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM

is it true that volunteering at the local fire department gives you savings on your property taxes?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
The high prices in Jericho are because of the school district. It's routinely rated as one of the best in the country. Plainview and Syosset are also great districts (some of the best on LI), but they don't have the same level of national recognition as Jericho.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM

69 posts, read 210,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
Took a stroll around these three towns over the weekend and checked out some open houses. Here are my impressions.

1) Plainview seems tight, dense, and houses are tiny.
2) Syosset is a little better with slightly bigger lots and lots of new construction.
3) Jericho homes are slightly older but the lots are immaculate and bigger and houses are farther apart. There is hardly any new construction here. Why is that? Houses are also the most expensive here too.

I am leaning towards Jericho but cannot understand the high prices besides the bigger plots. Does anyone else agree that Jericho feels more upscale?
Is school district a top item in your requirements? If so, the school districts in all the three areas are generally very good. It' up to you to decide in the details.

The new construction in Syosset is typically done by developers who buy old ranches, tear them down, and build new 2500+ sq-ft new big houses. The typical land size in the areas between Woodbury Rd. and LIRR Syosset station in Syosset is about 7000~8000sq-ft. If you go north of LIRR Syosset station, the land size becomes larger.

In Jericho, the typical land size is larger in East Birchwood and West Birchwood neighborhood, about 10000 sq-ft. In Oakwood and White Birch neighborhood, the land size is smaller (7000~9000 sq-ft). In Jericho, there are still new construction but not as many as in Syosset.

Split is the main style in Syosset and Jericho. But there are still a few different "Split" styles. Colonial seems THE style for new construction. Property taxes are HIGH in both Syosset and Jericho.

As for additional info for Plainview, some regular contributors on this forum may weigh in.

There may be other criteria like commuting or personal preference when considering locations though.

Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM

1,110 posts, read 671,684 times
Quote:
is it true that volunteering at the local fire department gives you savings on your property taxes?
Yes, I'm considering joining (not just for the tax break though). In Syosset after 5 years of service they adjust your home's assessed value by 10%. Also there is a pension eligibility (a small stipend I'd imagine) but I have not obtained the details on this.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Yes, I'm considering joining (not just for the tax break though). In Syosset after 5 years of service they adjust your home's assessed value by 10%. Also there is a pension eligibility (a small stipend I'd imagine) but I have not obtained the details on this.

I am assuming that means they assess your property taxes on 90% of the current real value.

Also, what does volunteering entail? Do you have to rush into burning buildings?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
Quote:

Also, what does volunteering entail? Do you have to rush into burning buildings?

Nope... it's just drinking, women at the firehouse, and an occasional parade and block party.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 671,684 times
Quote:
I am assuming that means they assess your property taxes on 90% of the current real value.

Yes that's correct on the property taxes (bad wording on my part). My understanding of becoming an active volunteer means you must compete some training courses to qualify as active. There aren't that many burning buildings to rush into these days (unless S really HTF).

When not responding to emergencies (which is most of the time) I'd imagine they'd be aligning your contributions to your core competencies:

An MBA might help w/ the budget (which may in fact be the same as running into a burning building)

A Mechanic might help maintain the equipment

One with a Management background might suggest a slightly different way of doing the exact same thing and take full credit for it.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
if you can swing the prices, just do Jericho because of the schools. Not much more to say about it. Plainview is twice the population - it will feel dense.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/3638539.html - Jericho
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/3658442.html - Plainview

Last edited by ovi8; 11-04-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island