Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:36 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I like it, development has to move east. If done well this could be a big step in the right direction.

These type of mini-towns in the burbs are a trend that's picking up interest everywhere, we're getting a tryout here soon with this idea. http://www.innsbrook.com/files/next/next_future_1.pdf
There's one big difference though.. Henrico and Chesterfield are growing. Businesses are relocating to the area....Long Island though.......is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 04:53 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Stupid then again sounds just like long island happy shopping!!!

Old 11-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
As long as they include expanding the Sagtikos Parkway in their plans then I think it's a great idea.

The more quality jobs for Suffolk County the better.. since so many ppl are starting to prefer to move back west, there needs to be something that keeps ppl in Suffolk.

Oh and a condo complex and shopping center is going to make people stay here? dream on!

Old 11-29-2013, 07:35 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
There's one big difference though.. Henrico and Chesterfield are growing. Businesses are relocating to the area....Long Island though.......is not.
Oh I think Long Island still has some unique attributes going for it, it's just figuring out what will work to bring business back.

First, I think what is growth for Long Island may be different than other places. For example I don't think Long Island needs population growth at this point or expanding suburbs, it may even need the opposite. It does need, in my opinion, a business, cultural and living center to act as a hub. Maybe even more than one along the Island's spine. While I love the towns on the North and South Shores, Suffolk could use something that is easy to get to and from, which the coastal towns aren't, which will keep big business away from them.
I think HTS could work if the vision is clear and the benefits to Long Island, especially Suffolk, are obvious. Innsbrook already has business but needs to retrofit more shopping, entertainment and living into an existing place, but HTS is getting to start with a clean pallet and can avoid the pitfalls, as long as it can fill actual office space with jobs for it's residents.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Oh I think Long Island still has some unique attributes going for it, it's just figuring out what will work to bring business back.

First, I think what is growth for Long Island may be different than other places. For example I don't think Long Island needs population growth at this point or expanding suburbs, it may even need the opposite. It does need, in my opinion, a business, cultural and living center to act as a hub. Maybe even more than one along the Island's spine. While I love the towns on the North and South Shores, Suffolk could use something that is easy to get to and from, which the coastal towns aren't, which will keep big business away from them.
I think HTS could work if the vision is clear and the benefits to Long Island, especially Suffolk, are obvious. Innsbrook already has business but needs to retrofit more shopping, entertainment and living into an existing place, but HTS is getting to start with a clean pallet and can avoid the pitfalls, as long as it can fill actual office space with jobs for it's residents.
A hub lol a hub is something unique that brings people to the area again theres nothing you need;fun ;exciting
about pushing a shopping cart then returning to your cell after your done.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
The total acreage is 475 acres of which 452 acres comes from the Pilgrim State Property. They are increasing density, population, vehicle traffic in an area that had neither. The development does not have a train station, they are just increasing many of the problems we already have on LI, traffic, water pollution and sewage and for what, retail space housing and more development. Any development on LI should be in the blighted areas and near existing train stations in areas that make sense, not occupying open space.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:24 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Well then guys, might as well stick a fork in the Island, it's obviously done.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 PM

622 posts, read 853,253 times
Face it, it's a payday for the developers and politicians with very little thought to what it means to Suffolk. Building a little city on one of the last large parcels of land in Suffolk seems to make sense only to those who will benefit $$.

The area, where the LIE intersects Sagtikos Pkway is already a hazardous, overcrowded, ill-thought-out quagmire, subject to extended delays and accidents. Want to try the local roads, good luck with that, it's just as bad.

I wouldn't worry about the class A office space, few private enterprises are looking to locate at Exit 53.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
How does occupying open space and putting a development in an area with no mass transit constitute smart growth., under those guidelines everything is smart growth.

What companies are going to come to that area, how will people commute to their jobs, take a shuttle bus to a railroad station. This will just add more congestion in addition to other problems.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:05 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
A mass housing unit will be good for those who like to live like poultry in a coup and leave us in peace in our 1 plus acre zoning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island