Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 AM

61 posts, read 153,161 times

Advertisements

I am beginning my house hunting experience and i am very excited/nervous. I know that i want to be in the Lynbrook area. Lynbrook is my main choice. I need to be close to the LIRR because of my commute into Manhattan. The SD is very important to me, because i plan on having kids in the future.

Lynbrook lies in a handful of SD's. I am just wandering how they all rank against each other and which one's are better than the others. With proximately to where i really want to be (close to the train station) It seems like the SD's that lie in the area i am considering are Lynbrook, VS 13, VS 24, and East Rockaway.

If anyone could give me some info it would be greatly appreciated and hopefully this will help me along the way in buying my first home. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco 612 View Post
I am beginning my house hunting experience and i am very excited/nervous. I know that i want to be in the Lynbrook area. Lynbrook is my main choice. I need to be close to the LIRR because of my commute into Manhattan. The SD is very important to me, because i plan on having kids in the future.

Lynbrook lies in a handful of SD's. I am just wandering how they all rank against each other and which one's are better than the others. With proximately to where i really want to be (close to the train station) It seems like the SD's that lie in the area i am considering are Lynbrook, VS 13, VS 24, and East Rockaway.

If anyone could give me some info it would be greatly appreciated and hopefully this will help me along the way in buying my first home. Thank you so much!
Here is how I would rank them from top to bottom in desirability:

Lynbrook SD 20
Valley Stream SD 24
Valley Stream SD 13
East Rockaway

Lynbrook SD 20 has been well thought of on the south shore for a long time, so make that your first choice. However, be aware that Lynbrook's Village property taxes are very high, so when you are looking for a house there always find out what the village taxes are on top of the other property taxes for a true picture of what you will be paying. VS 24 is rising fast and the high school it feeds into, Valley Stream South, was ranked in 2013's US News & World Report's Best High Schools. VS 13 has been a solid middle of the road school district. East Rockaway's high school has scored low for many years and the SD in general also has a rep for bullying and the teachers, parents and administration doing nothing about it.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Lynbrook SD 20
Valley Stream SD 24
Valley Stream SD 13
East Rockaway

Lynbrook SD 20 has been well thought of on the south shore for a long time, so make that your first choice. However, be aware that Lynbrook's Village property taxes are very high, so when you are looking for a house there always find out what the village taxes are on top of the other property taxes for a true picture of what you will be paying. VS 24 is rising fast and the high school it feeds into, Valley Stream South, was ranked in 2013's US News & World Report's Best High Schools. VS 13 has been a solid middle of the road school district. East Rockaway's high school has scored low for many years and the SD in general also has a rep for bullying and the teachers, parents and administration doing nothing about it.
This is what i kind of thought. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Lynbrook SD 20
Valley Stream SD 24
Valley Stream SD 13
East Rockaway

Would you happen to know any good real estate agents in the Lynbrook area that you know?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco 612 View Post
Would you happen to know any good real estate agents in the Lynbrook area that you know?
Back when I was looking in the area you are looking in now, I was impressed with this guy's knowledge of the area:

Ed McNulty

I see he is still around, has his own business, and his business is growing.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:46 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
There are also several homes in Lynbrook that are in the Hewlett-Woodmere School District (SD 14), which is also a very good school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island